ADVERTISEMENT

Future conference expansion AAC and MWC Sun Belt

sammyk

Rookie
Oct 26, 2001
Now that the ACC trying to fend off a takeover here is what I think the MWC and AAC could do do shore up their conferences and get maybe a decent TV deal

First the AAC lets go of UTSA, Rice, NTexas, Tulsa and the MTN West offers a landing spot

The New PAC/West Conference
Hawaii, San Diego st, Fresno St, San Jose St, Washington St, Oregon St, UNLV, New Mexico, New Mexico St, UTEP
Boise St, Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Nevada, Utah St, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Tulsa.

TV Markets, San Diego, Central Cali, Las Vegas, Reno, El Paso, San Antonio, Sante Fe' Houston and Northern Dallas, Tulsa. Conference Championship game in Las Vegas

The AAC would of course target Con USA and Sun Belt
Umass, Temple, Army, UCONN, Old Dominion, James Madison, ECU, FAU, App State, Marshall
Memphis, UAB, USF, Western Kentucky, Mid TN St, Navy, Tulane, GA State, UNCC, GA Soutrhern

TV Markets, Philly, NYC, VA Beach/Hampton, Memphis, Birmingham, Tampa, Annapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte, New Orleans. Plus you own the Army Navy game. Conference Championship game in Either Tampa, New Orleans

Last edited:
ACC still needs to balance themselves out by adding one more, getting to 18.
I'm thinking either UConn or Memphis in order to pacify the "tobacco road" bball schools.
Their fball programs aren't great (UConn's actually sucks), but that's not important right now. Either of those schools would gladly mimic SMU in forgoing a share of TV payout for 9 years in order to move up to a P5 conference.

AAC won't be jettisoning anyone. They will however be adding schools to replace those which will be lost to the MWC and possibly ACC. Army and Appalachian State are potential candidates.

MWC will obviously add ORSt and WASt, and should also snag Tulsa and at least one TX school (UTSA?) in order to expand their market presence into CST.

Reactions: sammyk
ACC still needs to balance themselves out by adding one more, getting to 18.
I'm thinking either UConn or Memphis in order to pacify the "tobacco road" bball schools.
Their fball programs aren't great (UConn's actually sucks), but that's not important right now. Either of those schools would gladly mimic SMU in forgoing a share of TV payout for 9 years in order to move up to a P5 conference.

AAC won't be jettisoning anyone. They will however be adding schools to replace those which will be lost to the MWC and possibly ACC. Army and Appalachian State are potential candidates.

MWC will obviously add ORSt and WASt, and should also snag Tulsa and at least one TX school (UTSA?) in order to expand their market presence into CST.
Not bad but I think the AAC would be better with ODU, JMU, Army, WKY than if they kept Rice Tulsa , NTexas. UTSA has a chance to be very good but so does the schools I mentioned

Not bad but I think the AAC would be better with ODU, JMU, Army, WKY than if they kept Rice Tulsa , NTexas. UTSA has a chance to be very good but so does the schools I mentioned
I'm sure those other schools will also be considered...especially WKU

I believe the TX schools still bring value for the conference.

Does it really matter what any of these G5 conferences do anymore? They are more or less extinct to a certain degree. In a few years when they 'TV' change the rules for the playoffs, then all of these schools are basicily FCS. I still think bowl games will be a thing of the past once the 12 team playoffs kickoff because the sponsers will start backing out because nobody will care about them anymore.

Does it really matter what any of these G5 conferences do anymore? They are more or less extinct to a certain degree. In a few years when they 'TV' change the rules for the playoffs, then all of these schools are basicily FCS. I still think bowl games will be a thing of the past once the 12 team playoffs kickoff because the sponsers will start backing out because nobody will care about them anymore.
No I think it does matter. With the expanded college playoff conferences like the AAC and MWC can make a bid if they expand. There are some schools that in the G5 that if a little more $$ comes their way they could be a problem. Schools like Memphis, Tulane, ECU , WKU, USF in the AAC and Oregon State, Wash State, Boise, San Diego State, and for some reason I think Colorado state all be those schools that win their conference and get an invite to the party. Plus if the AAU gets Army it will keep them from fading away just in the Army vs Navy game alone. Also if the AAC and MWC do something similar to what I did they will at least make what they are making now possibly more with less travel. Another way to cut some sepnding and keep the $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT