ADVERTISEMENT

Future Recruits for IA

LaoHawk

HB MVP
Oct 23, 2013
Have to take some notice on how IA destroyed Davidson and will face Gonzaga. Should be another good game and if IA can dismantle Gonzaga with Whitey having another 20+ pts, his NBA stock should be rising. Esp when Fran have helped Dev and then White to the NBA?, in addition to Gabe (to Euro-league), future recruits should be attracted to IA and playing in a power conference. I wonder if five of IA's next year's class said anything on their twitter accounts?

I hope IA can win Sunday and meet UCLA in the sweet 16; if IA can win Gonzaga, UCLA should be a cake walk. Imagine the back story on it.

The biggest thing that scares me about the Zags is their length. Iowa's length this season has been one of their biggest pluses and the Zags are one of the few teams in the tourney that can make it a non factor.

Great thing about basketball recruiting is it only takes 1. If Iowa can get a Top 30 type player, they can be a contender. My hope is Illinois and Indiana continue to struggle and Iowa can start getting some top Illinois talent.

Originally posted by PHXIowaClub:
Great thing about basketball recruiting is it only takes 1. If Iowa can get a Top 30 type player, they can be a contender. My hope is Illinois and Indiana continue to struggle and Iowa can start getting some top Illinois talent.
Fran really REALLY wants Tyler Cook from St. Louis, MO

Tyler Cook would be a HUGE get for the Hawks. That kid is a beast.
It's very very hard not to get excited about the recruits Fran has coming in. There is a LOT of athleticism coming in next year's class, guys that are long and can get up and down and I think we're upgrading in some ways athletically. The future of Iowa hoops is very bright.

I'm wondering whether it may impact recruiting for the spring and the remaining scholarship? I think that Whites performance has to impress recruits that we have a system that they can thrive in, and since this is Whites last year, a top recruit could fill his spot. Or is it too late?

Tyler Cook's top ranked St Louis Chaminade team was upset in the Missouri Class 5 semis last nite by Kansas City Park Hill South 53-50.

Cook had 15 pts (mostly on dunks) and 8 rebounds. Jayson Tatum, the #3 junior in the country per Rivals, had 17 for Chaminade.
This post was edited on 3/21 7:46 AM by 4th & 9 inches

Originally posted by LaoHawk:
Have to take some notice on how IA destroyed Davidson and will face Gonzaga. Should be another good game and if IA can dismantle Gonzaga with Whitey having another 20+ pts, his NBA stock should be rising. Esp when Fran have helped Dev and then White to the NBA?, in addition to Gabe (to Euro-league), future recruits should be attracted to IA and playing in a power conference. I wonder if five of IA's next year's class said anything on their twitter accounts?

I hope IA can win Sunday and meet UCLA in the sweet 16; if IA can win Gonzaga, UCLA should be a cake walk. Imagine the back story on it.
no game is a cake walk in the NCAA...even if it is UCLA...there starting lineup is pretty talented...depth not so much.

I think/hope that the big recruiting effect would be for the class that signs next fall. Caleb Swanigan was the last big name big man that Iowa was (sort of) in on, but he recently named a final seven that did not include Iowa. Maybe with a big run in the tournament he would reconsider, but he seems to be waiting to see what happens at Kentucky, in terms of players leaving for the NBA, before he makes his choice. Because I expect Kentucky to have a mass of departures for the NBA, I expect that to be where he lands.

I think that White's replacement for next year is already on the roster, in Dom Uhl, and that he is going to have a good year. He clearly needs to add weight/strength, but the skill set is there to be a good B1G PF once he does.

It is exciting to think about what Coach McCaffery may be able to do on the recruiting front when he has NCAA success to offer prospective recruits. Player development is always going to be a key for Iowa, as I don't see Iowa generally being in the hunt for one-and-done type talent. Those players will still go to Kentucky/Duke/UNC blue bloods. But in my opinion, this staff has been very good at identifying talent, and if they can get the guys at the top of their list Iowa could be scary good.

I have a crazy thought! We finished tied for third in the Big Ten, and we just went in the record books for smashing a ten seed to pieces in the NCAA.

How about we look at this another way? Turns out McCaffery does a pretty decent job of recruiting! That White kid looked pretty good, and so did that Jok kid. What were they ranked?

I know, people could say they got hot for a game, but they must have done something all year for us to be in the NCAA Tournament in the first place?

Will success on the national stage be helpful? Sure it will. But as far as I'm concerned forget following the stars, or rankings. If McCaffery is after a player, and especially if he is offering a player early in the process, that's the guy we want in an Iowa uniform.

Originally posted by PHXIowaClub:
PHXIowaClub... add Mizzou to your list of top state MBB programs that Hawk fans should praise continue to struggle. St. Louis area and parts of Missouri are ripe for Iowa to snag top high school BB talent.

East St. Louis has been home to some very good basketball talent and there is a top 2017 Center prospect in Jeremiah Tilmon playing in the region. The 2017 class also boasts from Columbia, MO Michael Porter, Jr. (Iowa WBB alum Lisa Becker's son).
There are good Twitter friends with 2016 Hawkeye recruiting prospect PF Tyler Cook (ST. Louis area/ Chaminade HS).

Chaminade HS is one of Missouri's better BB programs. Iowa will not be in the running for Cook's teammate 2016 top 5 player Jayson Tatum but Cook could be a stepping stone to greater national level talent. Tatum is a more likely one and done college player where Cook is at least a three year program guy. Cook is supposedly still growing and is between 6'8 and 6'9" presently.

Go Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT