ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Lewis

chaneccooms

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
The Iowa staff liked PG Trey Lewis out of Johnston, IA in the 2023 class, but the knock on him was that at 5-8 he was probably too small for Big Ten basketball.

He went to DMACC and is playing well and appears to have grown a bit. He’s now listed at 5-11.

With Dasonte Bowen’s future in question due to his knee injury, I wonder if the staff takes another look at Lewis.

The biggest obstacle to him getting a scholarship would likely be the fact that it would mean two smallish PGs in the same class - unless Lewis redshirts. But given the staff’s struggles in finding quick PGs with well-rounded games, it might be worth it to take a shot.

The Iowa staff liked PG Trey Lewis out of Johnston, IA in the 2023 class, but the knock on him was that at 5-8 he was probably too small for Big Ten basketball.

He went to DMACC and is playing well and appears to have grown a bit. He’s now listed at 5-11.

With Dasonte Bowen’s future in question due to his knee injury, I wonder if the staff takes another look at Lewis.

The biggest obstacle to him getting a scholarship would likely be the fact that it would mean two smallish PGs in the same class - unless Lewis redshirts. But given the staff’s struggles in finding quick PGs with well-rounded games, it might be worth it to take a shot.
Iowa needs to take two ball handling guards no matter what. Unless Perkins comes back. Preferably someone physical similar to Perkins or the isu guards.

chaneccooms wrote: "With Dasonte Bowen’s future in question due to his knee injury, I wonder if the staff takes another look at Lewis."​

I know I've been out of it the last month with the passing of my mom but this is the first I've heard of Bowen's knee injury. Is this an ACL thing?

chaneccooms wrote: "With Dasonte Bowen’s future in question due to his knee injury, I wonder if the staff takes another look at Lewis."​

I know I've been out of it the last month with the passing of my mom but this is the first I've heard of Bowen's knee injury. Is this an ACL thing?
It doesn’t seem like an ACL issue because Bowen was still dressing for games. It seems more likely it was some kind of recurring pain or weakness.

It doesn’t seem like an ACL issue because Bowen was still dressing for games. It seems more likely it was some kind of recurring pain or weakness.
Knee injury or not, I suspect there is a strong chance that Bowen will move on after this year.

I do not know anything about Lewis, but every year while watching the tourney I see a lot of mid-major point guards that I feel like they could really help out Iowa a lot. We should be able to get one of these PGs with NIL

Knee injury or not, I suspect there is a strong chance that Bowen will move on after this year.

I do not know anything about Lewis, but every year while watching the tourney I see a lot of mid-major point guards that I feel like they could really help out Iowa a lot. We should be able to get one of these PGs with NIL

yeah, Fran should get some depth at PG and take some recruiting risks instead of banking schollies and giving away scholleys to guys he doesn't seem to want to play (Mulvey, JoshO before that).. Nimmers didn't work out. When Richmond beat us, they had a 5'9 PG that ran circles around JBO and I think he was out of Kansas City. Plenty of midwest guards in Iowa recruiting territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT