ADVERTISEMENT

Future Tight Ends - Public Service Announcement

BlarneyHawk

HB MVP
Gold Member
May 3, 2020
Hello corn cobs.

As I watched the various games this weekend I keep being flummoxed by Iowa's struggles in tight end recruiting. So for kicks I compared Iowa's tight end production this week to several of its Big Ten west competitors who over the last couple of years have plucked guys we were also recruiting. Schools I checked out were Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Minn, and Northwestern.

Takeaways:

1. Iowa completions to their tight ends this week represented 46% of their total completions. Wisky was second at 45%. No one else exceed 30%.
2. Total catches for Iowa were six and Wisky had 10. NW had six and 2 TDs. No one else had more than 4.
3. In total yards and yards per catch Iowa was far and away the leader with 98 yards and 16.3 per catch. Wisky was at 5.8 yards per catch and Nebraska only had 2 completions to tights for 23 yards.

Obviously this is only one data point but clearly Iowa involves tight ends in its passing game more than any other team in the west. You can make a case for Wisconsin but they don't use TEs down the field which would make Iowa more attractive to me if I were a recruit. I continue to be vexed.

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News