ADVERTISEMENT

Ga. Tech just beat the Hurricanes on a 44-yard TD pass with 1 second to go.

81vdke.jpg

Yep. How is there not at least one safety hanging out at the goal line?
I have seen this happen before several times where a team is focused on trying to stop a shorter gain that could put the opposing team in tying / winning field goal range and they completely forget the other team may go for it all. They were playing to stop a quick 15 yard pick up and possibility of GA Tech kicking and tying score.

Sadly, one of those other times was FSU doing same damn thing against Jacksonville State. We were playing to contain a tying field goal attempt and never recognizing there are worse things that can happen than game tying field goal position….

Reactions: billanole
From my view in the replay it appears as if he did have 2 hands on the ball. 2 hands on the ball helps reduce the chances of a fumble but it doesn't eliminate it. Stuff happens.

What an ass.

I’ve known Mario since the 80s. My brother played TE next to him in high school. His arrogance is off the charts and his people skills are pretty much nonexistent.

Honest question, was he down?

I didn't watch the replay much but it definitely looked like he was down.

NO?

Honest question, was he down?

I didn't watch the replay much but it definitely looked like he was down.

NO?

He was probably down, it looked like his elbow hit the ground before the ball came out. There was not really a clear view of when the ball came out so could see how they let it stand.

Reactions: TJ8869
Agreed on the replay. It appeared that his elbow probably touched the ground a fraction of a second before the ball was yanked out of his hand. But it wasn’t clear enough to overrule and it wouldn’t have been clear enough to overrule if he had been ruled down either.

But as I said earlier, Miami didn’t deserve to get bailed out after such an amazingly stupid decision.

the anti Kirk Ferentz

I’ve seen KF take a knee with 5 minutes left in a game before
KF tried to run out the clock vs PSU at home in 21 with too much time on the clock then had to punt the ball back to them with a minute left. LoL. I was like wtf are you doing? We had to start yelling again once PSU got the ball back.

KF tried to run out the clock vs PSU at home in 21 with too much time on the clock then had to punt the ball back to them with a minute left. LoL. I was like wtf are you doing? We had to start yelling again once PSU got the ball back.
Actually, Kirk’s clock management made perfect sense in that situation. Starting QB Sean Clifford was out of the game with an injury and backup Ta’Quan Roberson was thoroughly rattled by the crowd noise and Iowa’s defense.

Penn State had managed just 34 passing yards, 2 interceptions, and a single field goal since Clifford went out. Iowa had the ball on Penn State’s 40 yard line after an interception by Matt Hankins. They handed off to Goodson on first down and he got stuffed for a 1-yard loss. So now it’s 2nd and 11. Penn State used their final timeout and the clock was at 2:10. The odds of getting a first down when Penn State knew they were going to run weren’t very good. So at that point just take a knee twice and burn 80 seconds off the clock, then let your All-American punter pin them deep and let the defense and the crowd close it out.

Penn State got the ball back at their own 8 yard line with 39 seconds and no timeouts. There was about a 0.01% chance that Roberson was going to march them down the field to win or send it to overtime.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Actually, Kirk’s clock management made perfect sense in that situation. Starting QB Sean Clifford was out of the game with an injury and backup Ta’Quan Roberson was thoroughly rattled by the crowd noise and Iowa’s defense.

Penn State had managed just 34 passing yards, 2 interceptions, and a single field goal since Clifford went out. Iowa had the ball on Penn State’s 40 yard line after an interception by Matt Hankins. They handed off to Goodson on first down and he got stuffed for a 1-yard loss. So now it’s 2nd and 11. Penn State used their final timeout and the clock was at 2:10. The odds of getting a first down when Penn State knew they were going to run weren’t very good. So at that point just take a knee twice and burn 80 seconds off the clock, then let your All-American punter pin them deep and let the defense and the crowd close it out.

Penn State got the ball back at their own 8 yard line with 39 seconds and no timeouts. There was about a 0.01% chance that Roberson was going to march them down the field to win or send it to overtime.
I was there. I just found it funny that KF was taking a knee to end the game…but way too much time on the clock. It was funny.

Reactions: QChawks
I was there. I just found it funny that KF was taking a knee to end the game…but way too much time on the clock. It was funny.
It may have seemed funny, but it was still the correct strategy. Much like Georgia Tech, Penn State’s only realistic chance at victory was an Iowa turnover.

Ferentz knew he couldn’t run all the time off the clock, but he could run enough off to reduce Penn State’s chances to slim and none.

If you hand off to Goodson again on 2nd and 11 and then again on third down, there’s a slight chance he gets the first down and the game is over. But there’s also a chance that a Penn State defender rips the ball out of his hands and now the Nittany Lions only need to go 25 yards for a game tying field goal.

By taking a knee twice you run off just as much clock as Goodson would have run off, but you virtually eliminate the danger of a turnover.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
On the Nolecast, it was mentioned that there is a tik tok of Miami’s OL coach Mirabeli asking Mario if they are going to take a knee. The OL coach isn’t just a random assistant. That is his right hand man who was his OL teammate in high school. He has been on the coaching staff with him at several different schools.

If he won’t listen to him, he won’t listen to anyone. That’s pretty consistent for Mario.

Reactions: goldmom

The Miami receiver is a Barrios-clone……which makes him a good and pesky receiver. I think he can play at the next level. Of course, he’s going to need to hone his special teams skills to make that happen.

It’s fine to compare the two. Miami receiver is good. But if your takeaway is that Coleman really isn’t that great (and your receiver is better), well that makes you sound as dumb as the UM guy……even his buddy knows he’s an idiot.

Need to make sure Keon sees this before the UM game. Make it a little personal. I don’t think we’ve had a guy so dominant at this position in a long time. Maybe Javon Walker’s big season??????

That Tez Walker at UNC looks to be the real deal. The two best WR’s in the NCAA may well reside in the ACC. Certainly top-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Nole OX
Listening to Big O pregame show for the Dolphins Chiefs game, he’s comparing Mario Cristobal to Dave Wannstedt. Both are old school guys who are too conservative and handcuffed talented, innovative, offensive coordinators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT