ADVERTISEMENT

Game Notes & Two Deeps for Iowa vs. Nevada

I highly doubt that Kirk gets too involved in questioning Phil's personnel decisions. Phil decides who plays and when. Unlike the offensive coaches, he actually knows what he's doing. You're barking up the wrong tree here.
I think on a free internet message board it’s fair to bark up any tree you want; it’s just conversation. We literally have a thread on this board talking about bringing in Scott Frost as OC lol To your point though, I trust Phil and his decisions. However, I do find it interesting that Graves whom Kirk said “…would be stupid to redshirt…deserves to be on the field with the older guys” gets 3 snaps even in the absence of a starter.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
I am certain that Phil has 100 percent control of the defense and everything that goes with it. I'd also be willing to bet he gets ZERO push-back from KF.

So, in a roundabout way, does Iowa have two head coaches?

Reactions: jonesy5960
I think on a free internet message board it’s fair to bark up any tree you want; it’s just conversation. We literally have a thread on this board talking about bringing in Scott Frost as OC lol To your point though, I trust Phil and his decisions. However, I do find it interesting that Graves whom Kirk said “…would be stupid to redshirt…deserves to be on the field with the older guys” gets 3 snaps even in the absence of a starter.
Oh by all means bark away. I'm just offering up my opinion regarding Kirk's input on defensive personnel groupings.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
1*ft9u4epdwUZ7gqvvvWxV1g.gif

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Eickholt on KXNO is stating that Padilla starting rumblings are what he's hearing. Who the hell knows.

I have no doubt as the season goes on that Graves will see more time as he gets more in tune with what Phil asks of his defensive ends, following their assignments. We saw the same with Epenesa and I think it worked out well there as well. Not to mention our DL is stacked and snaps will be at a premium all year.

I highly doubt that Kirk gets too involved in questioning Phil's personnel decisions. Phil decides who plays and when. Unlike the offensive coaches, he actually knows what he's doing. You're barking up the wrong tree here.
The DL calls as to who plays are probably up to coach Bell.......

I have no doubt as the season goes on that Graves will see more time as he gets more in tune with what Phil asks of his defensive ends, following their assignments. We saw the same with Epenesa and I think it worked out well there as well. Not to mention our DL is stacked and snaps will be at a premium all year.

Thanks for this. I wondered if Graves played. I didn't see him but I was watching from a distance. Did X or Brecht get any snaps?

Reactions: sober_teacher
There really isn't time for that based on the allowed schedule. You really need to have your number #1 getting all the reps in game prep. Petras may be listed as the starter (Monday depth) but I'd be curious to see who is getting all the reps this week.

That being said, I'll flip the game on on Saturday but if Petra is starting, I'll watch the DVR later. Life is too short to be getting pissed off over a freaking game that has ZERO to do with me, win or lose.

Padilla, or better yet, Labas should have been getting the #1 reps last week

If you all thought a QB change was going to be announced in the Monday depth chart, it is like you have never actually followed football or sports.
What's the definition of insanity? I think it's struck the Hawkeye coaching staff!!

Not staff. It is Kirk.

I mean, based on Kirks comments last week vs what Brian said last Wednesday…idk how you reach any other conclusion than this is what Kirk wanted last week.

I forget which reporter it was that tweeted out at halftime that Brian went into the locker room having a long conversation with Padilla, leading to speculation that there would be a change.

Really hoping last week was Petra’s Pittsburgh moment for Kirk, and make it clear a qb change is needed.

Reactions: Lostgirl57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT