ADVERTISEMENT

Game Notes & Two Deeps for Iowa vs. South Dakota State

Classic KF with this depth chart. By now we should know these don't mean squat. He basically just took the guys off that we know are out. I would wager the starting OL will be different by Saturday and at the very least will have guys juggling around all game long. There are also guys listed as starters that aren't 100% yet either physically or who have literally just gotten back and may not be in game shape yet.

We will need to wait until Saturday to see where everyone is at. Wouldn't be surprised if the OL takes until late September early October before coaches are satisfied with a lineup. From what I heard they like the run blocking but pass blocking and getting the right guys together has been an issue. Last year they couldn't find the right mix of working parts all season. There has been a lot of shuffling around on the OL this camp.
Yep, a few impressions that we know most likely to be true:
  1. Van Ness is anything but a backup, he'll get pretty much full time DE/DT snaps
  2. RT will see a rotation with Colby and Plumb as Dunker will rotate in at Guard
  3. It's very 'Iowa' to have two in state walk-ons listed at WR (although I didn't realize Wick has some 'wicked' HS stats so anxious to see him play, kind of like LaPorta in Illinois)
  4. Great to see Hurkett back and healthy and on 2-deep
  5. X, Graves and Kaleb Johnson are probably first 3 true fresh to see the field along with Hall
  6. Isn't PR and KR usually listed? Kirk being extra coy here
  7. If there is an Iowa related SAB, fans will have a field day with Shulte and Alex Wick and Nate Stanley and Campbell could be brothers...that is all, time for football this weekend!

Reports have been he is too good to keep off the field. Its going to be interesting for the coaches trying to keep Jacobs and DeJean on the field this year. Both were big standouts this camp.
That's a good problem. I hope that CDJ can remember where he's playing. 🙂

Keagan Johnson? He practiced on 8/18 and 8/19 in shorts, but didn't scrimmage on 8/20 and still hasn't been in full pads to my knowledge. Maybe they are hopeful for this week, but I would bet he doesn't play Saturday. Would be happy to be wrong about that though.
This is what I have been thinking. Would be difficult to be out that long and then be ready for weak 1. I was hoping for week 2.

Keagan Johnson? He practiced on 8/18 and 8/19 in shorts, but didn't scrimmage on 8/20 and still hasn't been in full pads to my knowledge. Maybe they are hopeful for this week, but I would bet he doesn't play Saturday. Would be happy to be wrong about that though.

Blair, probably missed this but what's up with Brecht? He healthy yet?

Do you expect to see any reps from Bostick this weekend? I am still excited for him but mostly because he was such a good dude to my daughter at kids day.

Is anyone surprised Nwankpa not listed at all ? I thought he would def be in the top 10 dbacks

Reactions: reotto
With all the talented newcomers on defense in the backfield (specifically CDJ and X), it’s probably easy to focus in on a walkon safety listed as starter. But I trust Phil and definitely willing to give Schulte the benefit of the doubt if that’s Phil’s choice. And knowing the D is going to play with a lot of intensity this year, depth will probably be really key if/when injuries creep up.

Van Ness is anything but a backup, he'll get pretty much full time DE/DT snaps
My guess is that Van Ness might get used a bit like Babs was used in 2004 ... essentially a "deployable weapon." You put him wherever he can generate mismatches. Sometimes that might be on the outside ... other times on the inside. A lot depends on the personnel (and scheme) of the opposing team.

Reports have been he is too good to keep off the field. Its going to be interesting for the coaches trying to keep Jacobs and DeJean on the field this year. Both were big standouts this camp.
Will definitely be interesting to see how guys get used this year.

I know that Seth (Wallace) has spoken about the desire to use his 3 LBs a little more interchangeably ... that way he can play to personnel advantages based on the match-ups with opposing Os. However, his ability to do that will be dependent a lot based on the communication of the 3 guys ... and how well they know their responsibilities at the different spots.

It certainly could afford him the opportunity to keep his LBs with fresher legs.

It will be an interesting scenario for the Hawks ... you don't want to take Jacobs out of game ... but also you want to make sure that Cooper gets reps so that he can continue to ascend the developmental curve.

I know that Leistikow has stated earlier in camp that DeJean had spent most of camp at CB. I wouldn't have necessarily expected that initially.

Will definitely be interesting to see how guys get used this year.

I know that Seth (Wallace) has spoken about the desire to use his 3 LBs a little more interchangeably ... that way he can play to personnel advantages based on the match-ups with opposing Os. However, his ability to do that will be dependent a lot based on the communication of the 3 guys ... and how well they know their responsibilities at the different spots.

It certainly could afford him the opportunity to keep his LBs with fresher legs.

It will be an interesting scenario for the Hawks ... you don't want to take Jacobs out of game ... but also you want to make sure that Cooper gets reps so that he can continue to ascend the developmental curve.

I know that Leistikow has stated earlier in camp that DeJean had spent most of camp at CB. I wouldn't have necessarily expected that initially.
Cooper had work at CB because both Moss and Harris were out. Not sure if Harris is even back yet. But they were getting thin there and they needed him. Iowa will play cash the majority of the time this year.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Blair, probably missed this but what's up with Brecht? He healthy yet?

Do you expect to see any reps from Bostick this weekend? I am still excited for him but mostly because he was such a good dude to my daughter at kids day.
Brecht has been slow to return from a July injury. Hamstring possibly from baseball? Never heard for sure. I know he practiced in shorts at one point in mid August, but hasn't been full go yet to my knowledge, similar to Keagan Johnson.

Bostick is such a great kid. I kind of expect to see him at some point, maybe staying at four games or under, due to the lack of receiver depth. He looked good at Kid's Day too.

Cooper had work at CB because both Moss and Harris were out. Not sure if Harris is even back yet. But they were getting thin there and they needed him. Iowa will play cash the majority of the time this year.
Harris is out due to the DUI

Reactions: BBHawk
Brecht has been slow to return from a July injury. Hamstring possibly from baseball? Never heard for sure. I know he practiced in shorts at one point in mid August, but hasn't been full go yet to my knowledge, similar to Keagan Johnson.

Bostick is such a great kid. I kind of expect to see him at some point, maybe staying at four games or under, due to the lack of receiver depth. He looked good at Kid's Day too.
Bad hammy pull can take a while to get better

Have to wait to see how the WRs perform in the first two games. I will not be giving the staff a pass due to some injuries at WR. Too many transfers and recruiting misses at the position.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Well , I’ll be honest. If this is accurate, not what I was hoping for other than at least Keagan’s on the depth chart.

I’m guessing the rumors about Davidkov are true.

Not thrilled about seeing Plumb in the starting lineup.

No Dunker which we were hearing good things about.

I’m sure Dejean will see the field at Cash but feels like we’re wasting another great athlete. Either he or Jacobs will be sitting while yet another former walk on safety is starting.
Seriously?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Epenesa should have gotten more snaps as a FR and SO. I don’t think he was a full time starter if memory serves me correctly. Fant is another one. Going back Bernstine should have been out there sooner, he had some injuries though.

I’ll reserve judgment on how much CDJ and Jacobs actually play.
Thats interesting, because his dad, (Eppy) thought he was used perfectly, and said so on this site.

Well , I’ll be honest. If this is accurate, not what I was hoping for other than at least Keagan’s on the depth chart.

I’m guessing the rumors about Davidkov are true.

Not thrilled about seeing Plumb in the starting lineup.

No Dunker which we were hearing good things about.

I’m sure Dejean will see the field at Cash but feels like we’re wasting another great athlete. Either he or Jacobs will be sitting while yet another former walk on safety is starting.
At least you’re being optimistic 😉

Harris is suspended for game one. He'll be back in game two. Depends on how well Roberts plays if he starts right away or has to earn it back....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT