ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

hawksense

HB MVP
Jan 16, 2002
Told my buddy at halftime, first team to 65 wins. Hawks got to 65 first and won. Didn’t know it would take our last shot and to stop them.

Our defense was missing in stretches of the second half and some poor shot selection hurt us, further. Big buckets by Jordan, Filip, Joe, Kris, and Keegan. Hope he’s okay.

First half flow was gone after half. I sensed Virginia’s defense would make a comeback. Lots of desperation shots at the end of the shot clock. Good offense by them ,also.

Rebraca could’ve saved me a heart attack by making FTs. Just made the ending that much sweeter.

You build big leads for a reason. It certainly helped us tonight.

Last edited:
Would have liked to see more time for Perkins when the Hawks were up double digits.

Rebracca with a couple clutch possessions late but damn ..need those FTs in crunch time. He will only get better IMO.

Joe T. playing under control this year is a big boost. Game winner - did not see that coming out of the TO.... huge.

Virginia was insane from the 3PT line the 2nd half - Hawks kept their composure. I feel like this win will pay dividends.

The stunned crowd at the buzzer was priceless!

Not sure the extent to which Keegan’s ankle was bothering him in the second half, but him being basically an all American caliber player and not getting a touch on our last few possessions is inexcusable. There’s a time and place for Bohannon to be shooting threes late in the game, and down one point with 40 seconds left on the clock isn’t it.

The resilience this team showed even as UVA got hot from three in the second half was impressive however. This squad is a blast to watch

The most Iowa thing ever, that Murray for Va…1 made fg all season…goes off for 14 tonight with idk how many 3’s. So typical
He was standing out at the arc doing nothing and getting wide open shots. It's Fran's defense that allows this over and over again to mediocre players. We don't have to be a great defensive team but some adjustments here or there would really help this team.

He was standing out at the arc doing nothing and getting wide open shots. It's Fran's defense that allows this over and over again to mediocre players. We don't have to be a great defensive team but some adjustments here or there would really help this team.
No argument here, stickin in that zone didn’t seem like a great idea. Shooting is contagious, gotta change somethin when the momentum gets goin. But still, 1 fg in 8 games, 14pts tonight, c’mon!

Reactions: perryhawk
Love the swat by Pmac late, but question...did it matter? Any chance he would have gotten the shot off in time if he hadn't been blocked? I didn't watch a replay but looked like he would have been late in real time.

Doesn't matter either way, just wondering what others saw....GO HAWKS!

Reactions: 01135965
Frustrates me to no end,

Love the swat by Pmac late, but question...did it matter? Any chance he would have gotten the shot off in time if he hadn't been blocked? I didn't watch a replay but looked like he would have been late in real time.

Doesn't matter either way, just wondering what others saw....GO HAWKS!
Looks like .1 to me he saved rebraca there. Case was made about over the back but he better get ready for much bigger boys than that playing physical big ten basketball.

Edit definitely would have counted

Reactions: HungryHawk
We had solid games from JBo, Joe T, Rebraca, Keegan, Perkins, 2nd half Patrick, Kris and barely won. It was a very good win, but I think it shows that everyone has to play well if we are to stay close to decent teams. Only 4 turns for the game is a significant stat for us.

We don’t want to get to far over our ski’s in evaluating this team.

We had solid games from JBo, Joe T, Rebraca, Keegan, Perkins, 2nd half Patrick, Kris and barely won. It was a very good win, but I think it shows that everyone has to play well if we are to stay close to decent teams. Only 4 turns for the game is a significant stat for us.

Yes. Friday night will be interesting.
Purdue could beat us by 30, we don't match up well with them.

Yep starting five played with fire

Keegan also disappeared after his ankle injury in the second half. We should be able to count on him to step up more than tonight in other games imo. Fortunately, those other guys picked up the slack

Sandfort is another guy who can come in and fill it up in a hurry. No, we’re not better than many top Big Ten teams, but this team will win a lot of games

Reactions: perryhawk
Would have liked to see more time for Perkins when the Hawks were up double digits.

Rebracca with a couple clutch possessions late but damn ..need those FTs in crunch time. He will only get better IMO.

Joe T. playing under control this year is a big boost. Game winner - did not see that coming out of the TO.... huge.

Virginia was insane from the 3PT line the 2nd half - Hawks kept their composure. I feel like this win will pay dividends.

The stunned crowd at the buzzer was priceless!
Sandfort and Perkins needed more minutes, but I am glad that PMac was in there at the end. His block won the game as much as Joe T's shot did. Just a great team effort!

Purdue is going to kill us inside.
We just do not have a physical presence in the paint vs true bugs.
I’m more of a football dude but this would be my lineup. Both Murray’s, PMac, Joe T along with our sharpshooter in JBO! Long gliders that can run the floor and create. JBO spot up and knock it down but wear them out. Get them sucking wind. Might work?

Joe T got absolutely pancaked (not actually of course) on a screen.
JBo got trucked right before Joe T’s game winner.

A jump stop in the first half is legal, but a travel in the 2nd half when Kr Murray does it?

This game tonight reminded me why I have a love/hate relationship with college basketball. I’m just glad that everyone who played for the Hawks tonight contributed in some way to a great win.

Last edited:

Calling that second half solid is pretty far fetched.

Id be more inclined to say pathetic.

Never even should have gotten the rebound, Rebraca had a good box out on him, Shedrick just pushed him under the hoop
He was getting away with murder all game.

Shedrick should have fouled out long before that. He had at least five illegal screens which I don’t remember him being called for any. On top of that he caught two Iowa players in the head with “inadvertent” elbows. How he ended up with only three fouls is laughable. I think Toussaint’s pesky defense was frustrating him a little. Shedrick was a pretty dirty player IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT