ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

Why do people who hate the Hawkeyes bother to come on here? Go away.

I don't hate them...I just want better than what Fran is able to give and already know how this chapter of the book will end because of what I posted. That's cool if you are fine with it.

I don't hate them...I just want better than what Fran is able to give and already know how this chapter of the book will end because of what I posted. That's cool if you are fine with it.
Well I think we know that it’s likely to end in the 2nd round of the tournament. And I’ll honestly be pretty happy with that. We just lost 2 players to the NBA and if we are good enough to make the tournament again this year I’d say it’s a pretty good year. Most pundits don’t have us making it, at least before the season started.

He got pissed right at the end of the first half when UVA got a layup with 1 second left. Rebraca contested and had his hands straight up, but Fran wasn't happy with somebody there, and Keegan and Rebraca were the only guys in the picture at that time I believe. Only time I saw fired up anyway.
Iowa got a little cocky at the end of the first half and it costed them with a lead of only 14 at the break. It should have been 18+ if not for the boneheaded plays.

We all want more from Iowa’s defense, but the nature of our “push the ball, maximize the number of possessions” system is that we are going to go on runs, and we are going to give up runs. 20 points is a big lead to squander, but we’ve also erased 20 point deficits under the same system (think the 23 points that we were down in the first half of the Tennessee game in March 2019)

Recruits have started to see the light in terms of their ability to shine in Fran’s system (I can’t remember a time when we were in the top 2-3 of so many out of state 4* recruits), and we now have guys popping up in NBA conversations on an increasingly frequent basis as a result. As more of these well-rounded players join Iowa, our offense will only continue to perform at a high level while defense improves.

By the way, in a game like last night’s, past Fran teams would have experienced one major scoring drought at some point in the game that may have actually resulted in a loss, but our squad answered time and time again with big makes, even in the face of some really intense defense, to either hold or reclaim the lead

I agree that we need to do something about the open corner threes. That’s one of the best, most efficient shots in basketball and we can’t be leaving guys wide over there. If you solve that issue, this team has some great upside

Agree with most of what Uno said. For accuracy's sake though, as far as the NBA players, the Murrays and Wieskamp would have ended up at Iowa regardless of who the coach was.

Definitely happy with what seems to be an uptick in Fran's recruiting though

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Im talking about defense.

Blowing a 20 pt lead against one of the slowest teams in the country is flat out ridiculous.

All they had to do was not give up wide open 3s every time down court but they found a way.

After rewatched the game Im more convinced than ever they spend essentially no time practicing defense. The communication was non existent. The front line guys don't have a clue how to switch off the ball in man or a clue where to rotate in zone.

Its all coaching.

Fran going to zone is a joke. Its the equivalent of throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks.
I'm not going to argue about defense, I largely agree. I would agree that Iowa really doesn't emphasize it, and it shows against good competition. We break down pretty easily when the other team moves the ball and has any semblance of skill and ability. Basically the best Iowa can do against good teams is force them into jumpers and hope they miss. UVA made a bunch in the second half, along with a good share of layups/dunks.

We all want more from Iowa’s defense, but the nature of our “push the ball, maximize the number of possessions” system is that we are going to go on runs, and we are going to give up runs. 20 points is a big lead to squander, but we’ve also erased 20 point deficits under the same system (think the 23 points that we were down in the first half of the Tennessee game in March 2019)

Recruits have started to see the light in terms of their ability to shine in Fran’s system (I can’t remember a time when we were in the top 2-3 of so many out of state 4* recruits), and we now have guys popping up in NBA conversations on an increasingly frequent basis as a result. As more of these well-rounded players join Iowa, our offense will only continue to perform at a high level while defense improves.

By the way, in a game like last night’s, past Fran teams would have experienced one major scoring drought at some point in the game that may have actually resulted in a loss, but our squad answered time and time again with big makes, even in the face of some really intense defense, to either hold or reclaim the lead

I agree that we need to do something about the open corner threes. That’s one of the best, most efficient shots in basketball and we can’t be leaving guys wide over there. If you solve that issue, this team has some great upside
Blowing a 20 pt lead to a high powered offensive team would one thing but to do it against a one of the slowest paced teams in the country is another thing.

And while still scoring 30 points in the second half is just crazy.

Only skimmed through the thread, and I think too many are emphasizing our weaknesses and not giving the guys enough credit. Winning at UVA is incredibly tough. Much of the reason for the second half turn around was UVA realizing that the Hawks were more talented, so they had to beat them up to have a chance to win. Despite that, the Hawks only turned it over 4 times (WOW!) and ended up with one more board.

Really good game by JoeT, who played with great control. That was the best game you will see from a PG, who supposedly had zero assists.

Except for a terrible shot from the wing late and a couple of defensive breakdowns, JBo was outstanding. That was as good a game as JBo has played.

Keegan is just a great player in almost every aspect of the game. I hope we get to somehow see him in black and gold beyond this year.

Rebraca made some big plays, but he needs to make his FTs and get tougher around the basket. As some have said, UVA's center was mauling anyone in his way in the second half, and the zebras decided it was part of the game. Rebraca had position on the final play, but got shoved under the basket. Fortunately, Patrick was in the right place and timed the block beautifully.

Really good and important win. It gets even tougher in the next one.

Only skimmed through the thread, and I think too many are emphasizing our weaknesses and not giving the guys enough credit. Winning at UVA is incredibly tough. Much of the reason for the second half turn around was UVA realizing that the Hawks were more talented, so they had to beat them up to have a chance to win. Despite that, the Hawks only turned it over 4 times (WOW!) and ended up with one more board.

Really good game by JoeT, who played with great control. That was the best game you will see from a PG, who supposedly had zero assists.

Except for a terrible shot from the wing late and a couple of defensive breakdowns, JBo was outstanding. That was as good a game as JBo has played.

Keegan is just a great player in almost every aspect of the game. I hope we get to somehow see him in black and gold beyond this year.

Rebraca made some big plays, but he needs to make his FTs and get tougher around the basket. As some have said, UVA's center was mauling anyone in his way in the second half, and the zebras decided it was part of the game. Rebraca had position on the final play, but got shoved under the basket. Fortunately, Patrick was in the right place and timed the block beautifully.

Really good and important win. It gets even tougher in the next one.
Yep. The good news is they got tested and had some adversity pissing away a 21 point lead, and hung tough and played thru it and found a way. I don't recommend pissing away 20 point leads, but they made it work by 1 point this time.

Overall a really good win on the road. Good job Hawks!

Blowing a 20 pt lead to a high powered offensive team would one thing but to do it against a one of the slowest paced teams in the country is another thing.

And while still scoring 30 points in the second half is just crazy.
It also took a 2/2 shooting game from a guy who hadn’t attempted a single three in a prior game, as well as a step back contested three late in the game for a team that typically shoots 34+% from deep to tighten the game up and take the lead. I genuinely believe that if we can figure out how to contest that corner three on a consistent basis (or just get out of zone altogether) that it could be the difference and turn this into an above average defensive team

It also took a 2/2 shooting game from a guy who hadn’t attempted a single three in a prior game, as well as a step back contested three late in the game for a team that typically shoots 34+% from deep to tighten the game up and take the lead. I genuinely believe that if we can figure out how to contest that corner three on a consistent basis (or just get out of zone altogether) that it could be the difference and turn this into an above average defensive team
Well yeah. That's why this was so aggravating.

Fran has very good individual defensive pieces.

Why is the communication in man defense non-existent?

Why are they not clear on when to switch?

Why is Fran still playing zone at all?

Id like to think its the stress of the first road game but I have doubts.

Agree with all this. Except. Why would we think a Fran team will ever figure out that pesky corner 3 problem? Watching from afar it appears he is perfectly content attempting to outscore the other team and not emphasizing D. No idea what practices look like, but I would hazard to guess it's WAY more about offense than defense.

Agree with all this. Except. Why would we think a Fran team will ever figure out that pesky corner 3 problem? Watching from afar it appears he is perfectly content attempting to outscore the other team and not emphasizing D. No idea what practices look like, but I would hazard to guess it's WAY more about offense than defense.
I’m not sure but he’s going to have to find a way to do it. If we’re letting Cockburn and Edey sit in the paint and get buckets there or kick it out to wide open Frazier or Ivey, those will be some long games

I’m not sure but he’s going to have to find a way to do it. If we’re letting Cockburn and Edey sit in the paint and get buckets there or kick it out to wide open Frazier or Ivey, those will be some long games
Yep gotta take something away. It's a pretty scary proposition going into Purdue with their inside game working and they always have shooters. I did think the defense was pretty good in the first half against Virginia. Need to find a way to sustain being locked in like that.

Explain what's better and how the story ends please

If fran subs based on defense and pulls people for defensive lapses and makes defense a priority---then some game in NCAA tourney when shots aren't falling, maybe we squeak it out. Or maybe if we play an Oregon, we don't get blown out despite one of our guys scoring 42 pts.

UVA game was very encouraging.....we can score on a good defense and we have a lot of depth. UVA may have uncharacteristically made a bunch of threes...but the UVA Murray--he is listed as a shooting guard and he doesn't normally play much because apparenty he isn't up to Bennett's standards for defense----I don't think it was good idea to give him completely uncontensted 3's in corner. I get the PG getting 3's---he was lightning quick and you had to play him for dribble drive and the big that stepped out, probably not a shooter.

Reactions: unclesammy
There was a least one play in the zone where the VA player caught the ball in the middle of the key and 3-4 Hawks on either side of him had an angle to defend but literally stood and watched him as he drove straight to the hoop for a layup wondering who was going to defend him. It's like they all became spectators for a moment.
The nice thing is that it only happened once instead of all night. Every team has a collective brain fart on defense once in a while. That night, VA had far more than IA.

The nice thing is that it only happened once instead of all night. Every team has a collective brain fart on defense once in a while. That night, VA had far more than IA.
Well on that we'll have to agree to disagree. Iowa has an elite offense that was shooting lights out in the first half last night. It was really more a case of a good defense getting beat by a red hot offense. Virginia wasn't giving up a ton of easy shots. Iowa was on fire. When Iowa is playing offense like that there aren't a lot of teams that are going to stick with them.

In the second half Iowa was giving up layups, lobs, and wide open 3 pointers to what has been an offensively challenged team. I think that it just speaks to the larger issue of this team's challenges defensively. There's a reason they are back down to being ranked 94th on Kenpom defensive efficiency. For whatever reason they are simply not well prepared to operate at reasonably high level. They have too much athleticism this year to struggle like that so it's really about coaching and preparation on the defensive side of the ball. Like others have said, Fran and his staff are the antithesis of Kirk and his staff with respect to their proficiency on one side of the ball vs the lack of it on the other. Whatever success Kirk has is attributed to the defense and whatever success Fran has is attributed to the offense.

Last edited:
that jump stop was bad. It was even super slow, so it wasn't a hard call. #21 was as physical as I've seen in awhile. He set a ton of illegal screens that weren't called. If your feet are a foot wider (some worse) than your shoulders and you lean into the defender it's illegal

I’ll even take it further and say the travel call (jump stop) on Kr Murray wasn’t even a travel. Kris is still dribbling when he picked up his dribble and came to a complete stop with both feet, then took a step. Really he only used one pivot foot.

The UVa play was a complete travel. He moves both feet, one foot moved barely and the other is a giant step to set up his shot.

I don’t think the refs were completely one sided or even all that bad compared to many games. I thought UVa were getting a majority of the calls, especially in the second half. I knew it was going to be called pretty tight when JBo picked up a cheapie ‘and one’ 90 seconds into the half. I’m sure someone will come along and say “that’s life on the road” which is a phrase I hate. Like it justifies the rules being applied differently because you’re a road team or something. I’m glad Iowa played through it and I’m sure Iowa benefited from a few calls too.

One thing that really stood out is how weak the post play is. I’m glad Iowa got Rebraca but he’s going to get eaten alive in Big Ten play. Losing Nunge really hurt us.

This team is going to sink or swim with Keegan and the occasional hot game by JBo. The Purdue game will be interesting, I won’t be shocked if Iowa loses by 20. Probably the toughest game of the season.

Purdue has usually smoked Iowa at W. Lafayette regardless of whether Iowa had a quality Big or not. The last smoking was Purdue 104-68 and Iowa had a true big in Garza. That game it wasn't a Purdue Big man doing the damage, it was raining 3's and Iowa couldn't get off 3's or make them.

Rubacca can guard Trevion Willams as well as Garza did last year because Garza always had to play passive to prevent foul trouble. Edley is huge and Iowa can bring in a true Big for spot minutes and double team and generate turnovers and they can run when Edley is in there because Edley is slow. Nunge would have been nice have vs Edley, but I don't think it would be a big game changer.

Purdue plays tough defense and they have a great team this year, so I think Iowa likely gets smoked, but it is not because we lack a Big man. I would last year's team even with Nunge would bet smoked by this year's Purdue because Purdue looks to be a top10 at this point and favorite to win B1G.

Explain what's better and how the story ends please
2010–11IowaFran McCaffery11–204–1410th
2011–12IowaFran McCaffery18–178–107thNIT 2nd Round
2012–13IowaFran McCaffery25–139–96thNIT Runner-Up
2013–14IowaFran McCaffery20–139–96thNCAA Play-In Round
2014–15IowaFran McCaffery22–1212–63rd(T)NCAA 2nd Round
2015–16IowaFran McCaffery22–1112–63rd(T)NCAA 2nd Round
2016–17IowaFran McCaffery19–1510–85th(T)NIT 2nd Round
2017–18IowaFran McCaffery14–194–1411th(T)
2018–19IowaFran McCaffery23–1210–106thNCAA 2nd Round
2019–20IowaFran McCaffery20–1111–95th(T)
2020–21IowaFran McCaffery22–914–63rdNCAA 2nd Round

Well, he has had 11 years and we haven't made a sweet 16 and only made the tournament itself 5 times (if you count the play in year) Our best conference finish was 3rd and our average is 6th.

Again...I don't hate them or Fran but I guess I am not satisfied with our best hope of going to the 2nd round and probably finishing slightly above the middle of the BIG10. In CBB, 11 years is an eternity so we know what we have...which is why I know how this ends.

Well, he has had 11 years and we haven't made a sweet 16 and only made the tournament itself 5 times (if you count the play in year) Our best conference finish was 3rd and our average is 6th.

Again...I don't hate them or Fran but I guess I am not satisfied with our best hope of going to the 2nd round and probably finishing slightly above the middle of the BIG10. In CBB, 11 years is an eternity so we know what we have...which is why I know how this ends.
Can I ask what you were expecting out of this season? We haven’t had an NBA player in forever and we’ve lost 3 guys early the last 2 years. And honestly, I think asking Fran to slow the game down and play better defense is like asking Kirk to speed the game up and quit punting. We have 11 years of history. Fran likes to get up and down the court. When it’s working it’s fun to watch. When the other team is getting layups and open 3’s not so much. Fran has been pretty successful. Not top 10 consistent but top 25 a lot of years. He’s not that different from Kirk, just the opposite style.

Agree with most of what Uno said. For accuracy's sake though, as far as the NBA players, the Murrays and Wieskamp would have ended up at Iowa regardless of who the coach was.

Definitely happy with what seems to be an uptick in Fran's recruiting though
Credit to Fran for seeing something in the Murray’s where many other high major coaches didn’t. As far as Wieskamp goes, Fran turning the Iowa program around after Lickliter had a lot to do with rejuvenating Iowa in-state fandom. With a coach like Lick still running the show, I’m not sure a high major recruit like Weezy considers Iowa

Reactions: BBHawk

Think you need to count 2020 as in, that team was in the NCAA until Covid shut it down. And Yes I count the Play-In Round. So 6/11. 6 of last 8. He was given a giant scorching turd hole to dig out of thanks to lick.

Im talking about defense.

Blowing a 20 pt lead against one of the slowest teams in the country is flat out ridiculous.

All they had to do was not give up wide open 3s every time down court but they found a way.

After rewatched the game Im more convinced than ever they spend essentially no time practicing defense. The communication was non existent. The front line guys don't have a clue how to switch off the ball in man or a clue where to rotate in zone.

Its all coaching.

Fran going to zone is a joke. Its the equivalent of throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks.
Serious question - do you really believe they spend essentially NO time practicing defense? Do you actually believe they spend all their practice time only on offense? Do you truly think they did NOT communicate and play d in the 1H or was that an illusion?

The hyperbole is, well, a little thick, dude, and takes away from your potentially legit points.

Reactions: Willin and BBHawk
Serious question - do you really believe they spend essentially NO time practicing defense? Do you actually believe they spend all their practice time only on offense? Do you truly think they did NOT communicate and play d in the 1H or was that an illusion?

The hyperbole is, well, a little thick, dude, and takes away from your potentially legit points.
After 11 years it’s pretty clear. If he does spend much time on defense he’s clearly not good at it. He’s the anti Kirk.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I liked seeing joe really mix it up with Shedrick. Gave no quarter.
I'd rather see Joe fight through the screens.... he seems to want to tussle and then gets hung up. He should have been able to get through that screen where instead Rebraca was forced to switch and gave up a 3 because he had to respect the drive.

Our ball screen defense is the beginning of our breakdowns.... we were slow on switching and then forces help and poor rotations and closeouts.

We are not anticipating the pass and thus react after pass is made and then you are late to the closeout.

If you watch good teams.... the defense is flowing with the ball so you're there on the catch.

But I think we can improve on D because we are more athletic.... we just need to be more connected.

That poster is prone to hyperbole and ignoring facts.

I'm not going to argue about defense, I largely agree. I would agree that Iowa really doesn't emphasize it, and it shows against good competition. We break down pretty easily when the other team moves the ball and has any semblance of skill and ability. Basically the best Iowa can do against good teams is force them into jumpers and hope they miss. UVA made a bunch in the second half, along with a good share of layups/dunks.

After re-watch of game I think part of the issues with the 3 ball was the scout.

The really own known was Clark... and he's never been known to be a high percentage shooter so going under the screens is often how he's defended.

The other 2 guys that went 6-8 from 3 are new guys. Gardner starts but hadn't even attempted a 3 till going 2 for 2 vs Iowa. Murray played sparingly and was 1-4 from the field in spot minutes as a freshman.

Only complaint would be our in-game adjustments on those 3 when they got hot.... but I think our 2nd half adjustments was to close off the paint and that back fired a bit.

the Virginia big was killing us when he played.

And he should have fouled out long before the end of the game. The homer refs allowed him to set multiple moving screens and he fouled Keegan multiple times where the refs swallowed their whistles.
On the other hand, I don't agree with some on here that Iowa played great defense in the first half, watching a replay of the game it was more of Virginia missing their shots then anything Iowa did to cause their lack of offense. If Virginia had attacked Iowa in the first half like they came out in the second half, Iowa would not have been in the game at the end.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT