ADVERTISEMENT

Game within the game ...

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Neither ISU nor Iowa ended up showing too much on O against their opponent.

However, as is often the case ... often the other teams shows the other team precisely what they WANT to show them. The question is to infer the reasoning/intention for those "reveals."

Iowa's offensive reveal #1:
- Iowa prioritized targeting TEs ... particularly LaPorta ... why?

One option is that Indiana has a good secondary ... so LaPorta posed a mismatch against IU's LBs.
Another option is that Iowa didn't have to flash anything fancy ... because they grabbed the early momentum in the game ... and 17 points off of turnovers kept the game out of reach for the Hoosiers. Consequently, keeping things simple and keeping looks to the TEs was "safer" AND the Hawks didn't need to reveal as much about the O.

With an eye to the ISU game AND other future opponents ... the objective may have also emphasized the TE in order to encourage opposing Ds to game-plan for our TEs. If the TE gets extra attention from the LBs ... that possibly opens up opportunities in the running game. Alternatively, if the TE garners bracket coverage ... and takes up 2 defenders ... opposing Ds are increasing left in scenarios where they put a DB on an island. QBs are trained to go after man-coverage match-ups (particularly, if its possibly a mismatch).

Was this part of the intention?

Iowa's offensive reveal #2:
- Iowa showing the red-zone QB run down the middle. Furthermore, on another short-yardage situation, Petras did a "trick" play where he took a quick snap from behind center and got something like 3 yards on the sneak. Why reveal these QB run options?

As we've been painfully aware of for years ... we haven't always been the best short-yardage conversion team on 3rd downs. When the D has to account for the QB in the run-game ... it forces them to have that much more gap discipline ... even if it's just for short-yardage situations. When this is the case ... if a guy ends up missing an assignment ... it increases the change for a bigger pay-off in the running game. Given an explosive RB like Goodson ... this scenario can yield nice dividends!

At the very least ... if the opposing D has more to think about on 3rd downs ... that hopefully helps us to have a better 3rd down conversion percentage.

Iowa offensive reveal #3:
- Already, even in game 1 ... we already saw Goodson a few times in the wildcat. Why already feature this continued wrinkle?

For one thing ... we obviously know that Goodson is a great playmaker for us ... so, of course, it behooves the offensive staff to find ways to get him the ball!

However, from a strategic point of view ... it also illustrates that this wrinkle is here to stay for the Hawks. Thus, this is something that opposing Ds will have to prepare for.

It's also complementary to the prior objective of making the Hawks a little harder to defend on 3rd and short situations. If we can convert more frequently on 3rd downs ... we can possess the ball longer ... and that is usually to our advantage.

Last edited:
Oh boy.
You getting enough sleep ghost?
You sound like me most every weeknight..... over thinking everything that might happen the next day!

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Good post and thoughts. We did show the reverse so I’m expecting some fake reverses or dare I say a pass out of it. It does bother me that isu fans are saying they didn’t have to show anything but won’t acknowledge Iowa didn’t either, and that’s because Iowa won handily vs a good team

Reactions: redhawk0823
I wondered the same thing about all the throws to the TE. I was optimistically hoping this would force different coverages and we’d perhaps look to get our WRs more involved vs ISU.

I can’t wait until we finally do something other than an RB keeper out of the wildcat and the defense doesn’t see it coming

Jumping on a huge lead against Indiana allowed the Hawk offense to go pretty vanilla during the rest of the game. Save the good plays for ISU.

I don't think the offense went vanilla at all, they just aren't consistent enough, and as far as throwing to the tight end all the time, that's really nothing new. Our receivers either aren't getting open, Petras doesn't see them, or he locks on to the tight end. They somehow have got to get a running game going because I'm afraid Petras is not going to be able to move the ball consistently throwing it.

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
It’s going to come down to quarterback play. Unfortunately Purdy is much, MUCH better than Petras. Petras is going to cost us wins this year unless he dramatically improves.

It’s going to come down to quarterback play. Unfortunately Purdy is much, MUCH better than Petras. Petras is going to cost us wins this year unless he dramatically improves.
I guess, but is this the same Purdy thats played against Iowa the last couple of times? Is he still crapping the bed under pressure? If this game goes like most of the last several it will be hard fought and close. If so then minimizing mistakes will be key. Petras still misses some plays but he does a pretty good job of not making costly turnovers. Maybe better then his cyclone counterpart..

Good to have you back Ghost. The run game was certainly vanilla after taking a 21-3. From game to game, defensive schemes and personnel dictate so much of what a team is going to call. In a big ten game, I doubt the coaches would restrict their playbook looking to the future but I certainly believe ISU would feel comfortable doing so until the second half of last weeks game.

Reactions: mepohawk
Good to have you back Ghost. The run game was certainly vanilla after taking a 21-3. From game to game, defensive schemes and personnel dictate so much of what a team is going to call. In a big ten game, I doubt the coaches would restrict their playbook looking to the future but I certainly believe ISU would feel comfortable doing so until the second half of last weeks game.
Petras in the 2nd quarter was pretty darn good. We still need to see more consistency on O though.

Of course, many fans might not be noting this ... but the Hawks have actually faced some pretty decent defenses in these first 2 weeks!

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Iowa has faced 2 good defenses and got away with wins. Hopefully the O can co ti ur to improve and limit mistakes and this team is legit top 10!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT