ADVERTISEMENT

During Deacon's stint as #1 QB how many times could Marco have run for a 1st down if he was #1 QB?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
After having seen Marco take off and run from the pocket in the bowl game, what would be your guess or opinion of to answer the thread title question?

My gut feeling is there might have been 2-3 times per game where Marco might have been back to pass and been able to scamper for a first down on 3rd down or gain good yardage on 1st or 2nd down.
And there could have been more opportunities to make 3rd and short yardage by faking a handoff and keeping the ball or just running a counter naked bootleg. So maybe he picks up another 1 or 2 1st downs.

I have always heard football analysts say the QB is the only unaccounted for player on most offensive snaps. Just Marco's legs and running ability might have been good for 5 or so 1st downs per game and definitely more points. Now it might not have made for wins versus PSU, MICH, or Tenn but those games could have been much closer. And just having two good drives in the 2nd half against Minny makes that probably an easy win.

Plus I love sweep type running plays, wide running plays to the wide side of the field because it makes the fatboy defensive linemen run a lot of yards while trying to fend off blocks. It tires them out for the last 20 minutes of the game.

So how many 1st downs via the run do you think Marco could have made? Are you ready for at least a decent running QB?

Just looking at one game last year:

Against Minnesota Deacon was 10/28 (35%). -0- TD, 1 INT. Rushed 8 times for -22 yards.

I believe we would have beat Minnesota with Marco at QB. If he would have had a full week of practice with the 1st team, rather than being put in cold and unexpected, as he was in the bowl game, I think he outperforms Deacon easily, produces a few more 1st downs with his legs, and Iowa wins.

735…..and may have completed even fewer passes and thrown more INTs 🤷‍♂️

It’s criminal that our QB chart is so horrific but one thing I’ve never understood about some of you is your complete and utter inability to see the “why” of something…

Not saying it was right or even that I might not have done differently, but the pure raw why…

Meaning, he can’t complete a pass. That would not have flown, for a full game. Series sure….

All the way back to Brad Banks, Ricky, CJ, there were obvious, reasonable reasons for concern…

You guys act like we had 4 QBs on the roster better…the real tragedy is that’s how poor our QB recruiting is, because we didn’t….

i don’t get how Iowa has managed to find what seems like the only QB recruits in the country who cannot complete a forward pass.

Other schools put their backups in ALL the time and while they don’t all turn out to be amazing, they don’t look even close to as bad as an Iowa QB

It makes no sense at all to miss that badly or the lack of any coaching while they’re here

i don’t get how Iowa has managed to find what seems like the only QB recruits in the country who cannot complete a forward pass.

Other schools put their backups in ALL the time and while they don’t all turn out to be amazing, they don’t look even close to as bad as an Iowa QB

It makes no sense at all to miss that badly or the lack of any coaching while they’re here
Let's hope it improves going forward. I just listened to OC Lester on the press conf feed and I am excited as a very long time fan that the offense may just get some gusto to it.

To answer your question, I just dont think the high school play of these QBs were really analyzed very well. Petras broke Jared Goffs high school passing records which was a lot of yards BUT maybe his team was so good that the receivers were wide open, that Petras could just lob the ball 40 yards downfield and the WRs could just go get them. Same with Padilla and maybe Stanley. Having never seen their film who knows.

I do know that CJ Beathard even in the first spring games I saw him in just had a natural accuracy to his passing motion. He could throw missiles 40 yards that were just spot of and make throws into tight windows. And remember he wasnt fully evaluated as the best qb on the team when he was

Just looking at one game last year:

Against Minnesota Deacon was 10/28 (35%). -0- TD, 1 INT. Rushed 8 times for -22 yards.

I believe we would have beat Minnesota with Marco at QB. If he would have had a full week of practice with the 1st team, rather than being put in cold and unexpected, as he was in the bowl game, I think he outperforms Deacon easily, produces a few more 1st downs with his legs, and Iowa wins.
Don't forget Hills fumbles in Iowa territory.

Iowa hasn't had a starting QB hit 60% of his passes in 7 years. I don't know if that is the longest streak in FBS, but it has to be close. 72 QB'S threw 60% or better this past year.

As far as QB, it is still one of the hardest things to evaluate in either college or the NFL. And transitioning from one to the other is always a crap shoot.

College to NFL(Sure it is true for HS to College for a QB): It's the hardest position in sports. Just so much to learn. The speed of the game is must faster than it is in college. Processing it can be incredibly taxing. And the passing windows are significantly smaller in the NFL than they are in college.

Iowa hasn't had a starting QB hit 60% of his passes in 7 years. I don't know if that is the longest streak in FBS, but it has to be close. 72 QB'S threw 60% or better this past year.
And it’s not like we make tons of risky throws. A lot of TE, RB and short passes.

TBF, Stanley averaged over 59% his last two seasons, so not far off. But we have fallen off since he left. Petras was at 57, 57, 55 and Hill was below 50 IIRC.

The bolded is the worst part, and like you stated, 60% isn't even special. It's to be expected from a QB in college football, especially for a team that won 10 games. It's just baffling that we keep treading the same water only to be told by the man in charge that nothing is wrong with the offense.

At some point, one must learn that the problem is you, not the legion of detractors crying foul.

Reactions: Ronman
The bolded is the worst part, and like you stated, 60% isn't even special. It's to be expected from a QB in college football, especially for a team that won 10 games. It's just baffling that we keep treading the same water only to be told by the man in charge that nothing is wrong with the offense.

At some point, one must learn that the problem is you, not the legion of detractors crying foul.
If the OC has good enough receivers that he can scheme them open then there arent any small windows and the percentage should be 60% or more. Even close to 70%

Recruiting might have something to do with it, but I think QB development has been the bigger problem. Iowa has had possibly the worst QB coach in Div 1 history the past 2 seasons, during which time our QB play went from bad to historically atrocious. I’m not a gigantic fan of Lester yet, but it gives me comfort knowing that our QB development potential just increased 1000 fold.

They never get any game experience or reps with the first team.
Stupid.

The real question is, how many times would Marco have hung on to the ball or avoided a strip sack if he was QB1?

Reactions: uihawk82
An amazing stat line to me is that ML attempted 7 passes, completing just 2 of them for 4 yards and 0 TDs, and yet he STILL finished with a QBR 137 times better than DH in the bowl game. That’s how bad DH is.
Hill has a really strong arm, but would need an elite OLine + Elite receivers to have any chance at being good. Hardly a good fit with our hot mess of an offense.

Lainez should have gotten playing time prior to the bowl game, the fact that he didn’t is why so ma y want major changes.

Hill has a really strong arm, but would need an elite OLine + Elite receivers to have any chance at being good. Hardly a good fit with our hot mess of an offense.

Lainez should have gotten playing time prior to the bowl game, the fact that he didn’t is why so ma y want major changes.
Hill has no touch, he can't move. He's not a D1 qb, period.
I watch a lot of FCS. He's not an FCS qb either. Nice enough guy, he can't pass or run.

Hill has no touch, he can't move. He's not a D1 qb, period.
I watch a lot of FCS. He's not an FCS qb either. Nice enough guy, he can't pass or run.
Yeah, maybe so, I am not trying to rally around him. My bigger point was that for him to even have a chance to be successful, the stars would have to be perfectly aligned with protection, scheme and receivers, sort of the polar opposite of what we trotted out last year. Just reinforcing the need for a qb like Lainez and why in the hell did we not have the foresight to change paths.

After having seen Marco take off and run from the pocket in the bowl game, what would be your guess or opinion of to answer the thread title question?

My gut feeling is there might have been 2-3 times per game where Marco might have been back to pass and been able to scamper for a first down on 3rd down or gain good yardage on 1st or 2nd down.
And there could have been more opportunities to make 3rd and short yardage by faking a handoff and keeping the ball or just running a counter naked bootleg. So maybe he picks up another 1 or 2 1st downs.

I have always heard football analysts say the QB is the only unaccounted for player on most offensive snaps. Just Marco's legs and running ability might have been good for 5 or so 1st downs per game and definitely more points. Now it might not have made for wins versus PSU, MICH, or Tenn but those games could have been much closer. And just having two good drives in the 2nd half against Minny makes that probably an easy win.

Plus I love sweep type running plays, wide running plays to the wide side of the field because it makes the fatboy defensive linemen run a lot of yards while trying to fend off blocks. It tires them out for the last 20 minutes of the game.

So how many 1st downs via the run do you think Marco could have made? Are you ready for at least a decent running QB?
They would have put 12 in the box and bull rushed him from anll areas…. Then played contain with a double nickel. U can’t win if u can’t throw a little.

He had not practiced with the ones all year.

Your right….he was clearly better & we left him on the bench so we could lose.

Then as proof we had a whole bunch of players portal out because it was obvious to everyone except KF & BF that he was “clearly” better…

Because I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t play for a coach that I thought was a hypocrite, unfair, and stupid, because I couldn’t respect him🤷‍♂️

But hey, that’s just me…I’m sure most would say, meh what the heck…

Well after all that…..remember that we were the absolute worst offense in the country!

And we kept our best QB on the bench 😳 I’m surprised we have one single player left on the team if everyone thought that….

I wouldn’t play for a coach like that I know for sure.

735…..and may have completed even fewer passes and thrown more INTs 🤷‍♂️

It’s criminal that our QB chart is so horrific but one thing I’ve never understood about some of you is your complete and utter inability to see the “why” of something…

Not saying it was right or even that I might not have done differently, but the pure raw why…

Meaning, he can’t complete a pass. That would not have flown, for a full game. Series sure….

All the way back to Brad Banks, Ricky, CJ, there were obvious, reasonable reasons for concern…

You guys act like we had 4 QBs on the roster better…the real tragedy is that’s how poor our QB recruiting is, because we didn’t….
What did you see as the “why” of Hill being a terrible QB? His lack talent? Coaching? Scheme? Opposition?
What was the why of Hill starting over Lainez? That Lainez couldn’t complete a pass? Hill certainly didn’t do very well in that category either, particularly in the bowl game, and that was after giving him the opportunity to practice with the 1’s and start most of a season.
There’s no reason to think Lainez was going to tear it up in terms of passing, but in light of what we saw on the field, it’s understandable for fans to want him to play over Hill.

What did you see as the “why” of Hill being a terrible QB? His lack talent? Coaching? Scheme? Opposition?
What was the why of Hill starting over Lainez? That Lainez couldn’t complete a pass? Hill certainly didn’t do very well in that category either, particularly in the bowl game, and that was after giving him the opportunity to practice with the 1’s and start most of a season.
There’s no reason to think Lainez was going to tear it up in terms of passing, but in light of what we saw on the field, it’s understandable for fans to want him to play over Hill.

That’s fine….i didn’t see it. If he came in, made some timely passes, with his timely runs & scored 2 TDS I would expect we would’ve had a lot of players transfer out, but no,… they already knew the same thing that I saw…,another extremely flawed quarterback. That still didn’t run for a touchdown.

Cmhawks99……. appreciate your honesty and comments but I will leave it alone after this. I for the life of me can’t imagine having Hill as a QB.

Reactions: uihawk82
As they say, it's complicated.

I think Stanley was a pretty good QB and the offense was respectable.

Since then, ironically timed with BF's promotion to OC -

- the OL has gotten worse. No time for the QB, no holes to run through for RB's to keep the D honest.
- ISM and Brandon Smith moved on and haven't been replaced. Receivers aren't getting open
- Misses in QB recruiting
- Then your QB gets hurt and you have to go to the bench for help.

All of which adds up to the worst offense in the country.

Hill and Marco may be terrible, or they may just be a couple of ok QB's with no help.

It's up to the coaches to figure out what to do, and the hole was already too deep for a backup QB to get them out. I don't think the results would have been any different if Marco had played. The only loss that was competitive was Minny and maybe the Hawks win that one with Marco (but I think they won anyway),

I think too much blame is on Hill. I blame the coaches and recruiting before blaming QB;s that had no chance at success.

Reactions: ZumaHawk

tree-fiddy.

Marco was a freshman last year and has time to improve but in mop up time he was 2-7 for 4 yards. He had .6 yards per attempt passing with a quarterback rating of 33.4 completing less than 30 percent of his passes. He ran very well but as a passer he was less than impressive. I could see why he was not getting playing time.

Minnesota game it they would've had some type of wildcat package ready to go, they could've moved the ball into field goal range, or with a mobile qb and some creativity.
My point about the Minny game is all through the 2nd half if a QB like Marco could have kept some drives going by getting some first downs and even a FG then Iowa would have chewed up maybe 8 more minutes of clock time (four or 5 first downs).

Minny would not have had time to even take the lead, Probably Iowa doesnt have the two Deacon sack fumbles.

Iowa I think had 6 three and outs in the second half against Minny and only about 30 yards of offense iirc. I think a running QB could have got those needed first downs and given Iowa the at least the ability to fake a run one direction and run the ball the other direction and get some good positive yardage

Reactions: biggmac21
Marco was a freshman last year and has time to improve but in mop up time he was 2-7 for 4 yards. He had .6 yards per attempt passing with a quarterback rating of 33.4 completing less than 30 percent of his passes. He ran very well but as a passer he was less than impressive. I could see why he was not getting playing time.
"Mop up time", "Mop up Time", insert video of the old colts head coach screaming "playoffs, playoffs"

Mop up time is defined as your team having a big lead and you put in your 2nd string offense.

Against Tenn was not mop up time, it was Tenn pinning their ears back and full rushing Marco while being able to play tight pass coverage with a 35-0 lead.

I really disagree with your description of what Marco was up against.

Imagine an opposing QB coming into the game late in 4th qtr with Iowa's Defense having a 35-0 lead. Iowa would be on full out pass rush because a sack really sucks time off the clock. Iowa's defense would allow short pass completions and then tackle to make the clock run. That poor opposing QB would not not think he was in mop up duty

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT