ADVERTISEMENT

GDP -1.4 %

It’s the headline on CNBC’s page:

Prices increased sharply during the quarter, with the GDP price index deflator rising 8% in the quarter, following a 7.1% jump in Q4.

While recession expectations on Wall Street remain low, there’s further trouble ahead for the economy: In an effort to combat burgeoning price increases, the Federal Reserve plans to enact a series of rate hikes aimed at slowing growth further. The personal consumption expenditures price index excluding food and energy, a preferred inflation measure for the Fed, rose 5.2% in the quarter, well above the central bank’s 2% inflation target.

Along with that, the Fed has halted its monthly bond-buying program aimed at keeping rates low and money flowing through the economy. The Fed will start shrinking its current bond holdings as soon as next month, slowly at first then ultimately at a pace expected to hit as high as $95 billion a month

With this news I think the government should take the step of forgiving all mortgages under $500k
I'm sure it will be tempting, especially if things don't improve a lot the next 2 quarters.

iu

It’s the headline on CNBC’s page:

Prices increased sharply during the quarter, with the GDP price index deflator rising 8% in the quarter, following a 7.1% jump in Q4.

While recession expectations on Wall Street remain low, there’s further trouble ahead for the economy: In an effort to combat burgeoning price increases, the Federal Reserve plans to enact a series of rate hikes aimed at slowing growth further. The personal consumption expenditures price index excluding food and energy, a preferred inflation measure for the Fed, rose 5.2% in the quarter, well above the central bank’s 2% inflation target.

Along with that, the Fed has halted its monthly bond-buying program aimed at keeping rates low and money flowing through the economy. The Fed will start shrinking its current bond holdings as soon as next month, slowly at first then ultimately at a pace expected to hit as high as $95 billion a month
Recession expectations on Wall Street remain low? How could they write that?

With this news I think the government should take the step of forgiving all mortgages under $500k
That would not be fair, some that are not deemed worthy might benefit, progressives would not approve. Maybe those that progressives deem worthy under $500k?
Sure pumping more money in would help GDP, probably not assist with inflation. All that free Covid money did a number on inflation

If GDP rebounds next quarter, will you change your position? Do you guys think this is directly attributable to Biden's policies and decisions?
There are a lot of things that happen due to a lack of attention or poor priority ranking, as well. The border mess is one example.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Jen seems to be increasingly unnerved having to lie every single day. I think she resigns by mid-summer at the latest.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Recession expectations on Wall Street remain low? How could they write that?

I assume they meant for this year. Most Wall Street forecast were for mid to late 2023, which I thought was crazy as I was thinking we would be in one by the end of the year. Looks like it could come sooner. We shall see. I suspect this number will be revised, but not by 1.4%.

It was bound to happen sooner or later with the course we are on. The weird thing is consumer spending, homebuilding, etc. is still on the rise. It doesn't seem like consumer appetite to spend and spend has cooled off.

Reactions: Hawk_82
If GDP rebounds next quarter, will you change your position? Do you guys think this is directly attributable to Biden's policies and decisions?
In typical Biden spin fashion, I fully expect a further drop of -0.6% next quarter to be considered a 'win'.

If inflation, gdp and govt debt improves I will say biden did good.

LOL ok. The last president who made a dent in national debt was Clinton.

If inflation goes down, GDP returns to positive growth, and debt was reduced, you guys know you would just find something else to complain about.

If GDP recovers, I expect to hear nothing about it from you guys. Similar to the jobs reports. There's always a thread when they are negative and the numbers are ignored when they are positive.

Yes.
The real GDP print is negative because inflation is at absurd levels, and Biden is calling for policies that will mean even more federal debt, which is fuel on the inflation fire.

We’ve added 2 trillion dollars of debt since the fiscal year started October 1st.

Reactions: Hawkman34 and dandh
LOL ok. The last president who made a dent in national debt was Clinton.

If inflation goes down, GDP returns to positive growth, and debt was reduced, you guys know you would just find something else to complain about.

If GDP recovers, I expect to hear nothing about it from you guys. Similar to the jobs reports. There's always a thread when they are negative and the numbers are ignored when they are positive.
Not many people lol.
Guessing cnn talked to joes economists who predicted inflation would slow down late last year.
We elected a vegetable.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
It was bound to happen sooner or later with the course we are on. The weird thing is consumer spending, homebuilding, etc. is still on the rise. It doesn't seem like consumer appetite to spend and spend has cooled off.

Prices increased sharply during the quarter, with the GDP price index deflator rising 8%, following a 7.1% jump in Q4.

The decline in growth came due to a deceleration in private inventory investment, which helped propel growth in the back half of 2021. Other restraints came from exports and government spending across state, federal and local governments, as well as rising imports.

An 8.5% pullback in defense spending was a particular drag, knocking one-third of a percentage point off the final GDP reading.

Consumer spending held up fairly well for the quarter, rising 2.7% as inflation kept pressure on prices. However, a burgeoning trade deficit helped shave 3.2 percentage points off growth as imports outweighed exports.

It seems this is mostly due to an increase in imports as businesses are trying to improve their inventories. Last quarter goods were bought here, this quarter businesses had to go outside of the country.

Not many people lol.
Guessing cnn talked to joes economists who predicted inflation would slow down late last year.
We elected a vegetable.

Not many people? What is that in reference to?

The people chose Biden over an angry child. It was an easy choice.

With prices increasing steadily people want to purchase before prices go up more which causes prices to go up......

We're in a circular firing squad at the moment....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT