ADVERTISEMENT

GDP -1.4 %

If GDP rebounds next quarter, will you change your position? Do you guys think this is directly attributable to Biden's policies and decisions?
Yes, not completely, but most assuredly a large part. When you spend trillions on covid and hand out money for same, you are creating excess demand at the same time there was a supply crisis so you increase inflation. When you demand an increase in the minimum wage at the same time businesses were already raising wages to try get workers, you increase inflation. When you signal to the markets that you are going to stop drilling on goverment land and you stop construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, you raise fuel prices which also increase inflation.

When walk away from Afghanistan and signal to Putin and China that you are weak, you increase the odds Putin and China will take advantage of your perceived weakness, which Putin did which then increased the already increasing fuel prices, again raising inflation.

Excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting the Menace Rule #1 of presidential economics. On January 1 of a president's 2nd year, 100% of whatever happens to an economy is due to the current president.

Now, when good things happened under Trump's watch, you gave Obama the credit. And now that bad stuff is happening under Biden's watch you're giving Trump the blame. Stick to your rules man!
What are you failing to understand? There is definitely a momentum factor from one administration to the next. Obama had the economy rolling and it carried Trump until he ****ed it up. That momentum is still being felt.

I’m sure there’s a Kim thread somewhere you can join to get the nut you’re missing here.
I don't think I need to even criticize Reynolds much longer. Even Iowa Republicans are starting to realize how worthless and stupid she is.

It was bound to happen sooner or later with the course we are on. The weird thing is consumer spending, homebuilding, etc. is still on the rise. It doesn't seem like consumer appetite to spend and spend has cooled off.
This, I'm confused as to how this is even possible. Maybe people want to buy things but they can't because there aren't enough stuff to buy? That would seem to go back to the supply chain issues that we can't seem to figure out. God forbid we actually build crap here.

Everyone desires a "soft landing"
orchestrated by the Fed.
This would fit that to a tee.
Markets loved this as they are back to "bad news is good news" mode.
The Fed has done nothing yet but the credit markets are doing their job for them.
10 year rate has exploded from .6 to nearly 3.00 in 2 months, which is slowing the economy.
But dollar massive strength shows the rest of the world's economies are worse.
This is actually good news on inflation front.

Kimberly just might be auditioning for a veep spot in 2024. Noem's marital scandals might be her downfall and I think Turd or the nutty Florida Gov just might consider her.

I'm for anything that gets her out of Terrace hill.

Kimberly just might be auditioning for a veep spot in 2024. Noem's marital scandals might be her downfall and I think Turd or the nutty Florida Gov just might consider her.

I'm for anything that gets her out of Terrace hill.
She’d be about 20 times better than the current vp but it’s not happening.
Keep dreaming.
She will get about 60% of the vote at re-election.
Time to look in the mirror and realize you’re a loon?

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
This, I'm confused as to how this is even possible. Maybe people want to buy things but they can't because there aren't enough stuff to buy? That would seem to go back to the supply chain issues that we can't seem to figure out. God forbid we actually build crap here.
Put a few trillion more dollars out there for people to buy things without increasing the production of things that new money can buy.
Result is the shelves start getting cleared, and the sellers raise prices to slow the flow of sales to match what they can keep up with in production.

The result of the inflation is an increase of profits for some, as the process of price adjustments to the inflated money supply take time and transactions to work themselves through the economy.

Dumping a 30% increase of the money supply into the economy isn’t going to make the price of everything instantly go up 30%. The necessary increase in price can only come from the discovery process of transactions.
It will take time. Longer the greater the initial surge of inflation.

Money supply increases are always inflationary, and it takes time for the price increases to work their way through the economy and rebalance the relative value of all goods and services against the new monetary level.

Put a few trillion more dollars out there for people to buy things without increasing the production of things that new money can buy.
Result is the shelves start getting cleared, and the sellers raise prices to slow the flow of sales to match what they can keep up with in production.

The result of the inflation is an increase of profits for some, as the process of price adjustments to the inflated money supply take time and transactions to work themselves through the economy.

Dumping a 30% increase of the money supply into the economy isn’t going to make the price of everything instantly go up 30%. The necessary increase in price can only come from the discovery process of transactions.
It will take time. Longer the greater the initial surge of inflation.

Money supply increases are always inflationary, and it takes time for the price increases to work their way through the economy and rebalance the relative value of all goods and services against the new monetary level.
I get inflation, but the economy shrunk.

Yes. It did because there is less investment in the economy due to the environment. You must not be privy to how business works. Small business goes into survival mode when they know the shit is about to hit the fan. I am good with this as my income isn’t reliant on a good economy. Can’t wait for the midterms. Burn it down!

The federal government is spending over 30% of the GDP the last two years.
That means more consumption, not more investment and production.

In 1942, first full year of WW2, the Federal government outlays were 23.8% of GDP

I imagine there has been all kinds of malinvestment made possible by the new money as well.

Democrats go bye bye.

Probably... until the GOP reminds everyone of what happens when they are in charge. Then GOP goes bye bye again and the pendulum swings back to the left.

We do always seem to end up in a recession after GOP presidents. Then the democrat in charge gets blamed for not fixing things fast enough.

Normally businesses produce more when there is high demand. Huh.
Requires more inputs, but there hasn’t been more production of those either, just more money in the hands of people to bid away those resources at a higher price than before.

Reactions: Finance85
Normally businesses produce more when there is high demand. Huh.
In a ‘normal’ economy (not this Potemkin built on printing money) production growth is the source of increasing demand.
Everyone’s demand is just the other side of the coin on their own production.
Until you introduce new money to the situation. Now someone can bid up prices not with more productions, but with the claim on production that money represents.
The first guy to spend the new money doesn’t even face the rising prices inflation will cause.
We punish counterfeiting because we realize introducing new money without any production is really just stealing.
When the government does it, it is essentially taxing via the price increases everyone bears.
This is why inflation is a horribly regressive government policy.

In a ‘normal’ economy (not this Potemkin built on printing money) production growth is the source of increasing demand.
Everyone’s demand is just the other side of the coin on their own production.
Until you introduce new money to the situation. Now someone can bid up prices not with more productions, but with the claim on production that money represents.
The first guy to spend the new money doesn’t even face the rising prices inflation will cause.
We punish counterfeiting because we realize introducing new money without any production is really just stealing.
When the government does it, it is essentially taxing via the price increases everyone bears.
This is why inflation is a horribly regressive government policy.
I couldn't get past your first sentence and anything after that has no credibility. Demand creates increased production, not the other way around. Businesses don't just make crap and then wait for people to buy it up. They make sure there is a market for the product and then they produce the product. Show me a business that makes a bunch of crap hoping for people to buy it and I'll show you the next business on the trash heap of poorly managed businesses...or laundering fronts for drug cartels.

I couldn't get past your first sentence and anything after that has no credibility. Demand creates increased production, not the other way around.
Sit and around, do nothing, and see how your ‘demands’ create what you want.
Then produce something (good or service), and offer it in trade for what you want.
Can you now see how supply is actually the root of all ‘demand’?
We’re all trading what we’ve produced. ‘Demand’ is just you wanting some other production, which absent stealing requires you to produce something in exchange for what you would prefer to have.
Why else do you think we punish the counterfeiter? His crime is having produced nothing, except a note representing his claim on an equivalent value of the production of others.

Businesses don't just make crap and then wait for people to buy it up.
In most cases they do.
How many things that you buy this week involve you getting it off the shelf versus working out precisely what you want with the producer individually?
Yes, there is market research, etc., but most of the economy is people competing to produce in the hopes people will buy theirs instead of that other guy’s.

The numbers are what they are, but there are positive takeaways. The US economy is consumer driven, and spending is robust. Unemployment is low. If we saw those numbers lagging significantly yesterday's numbers would be more impactful.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT