ADVERTISEMENT

Gilbert Street bridge replacement in Iowa City likely delayed No bids were received for the project last month

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
— Construction on Gilbert Street Bridge is likely to be delayed after no bids were received for the project.

The bid letting was held for the project at the Iowa Department of Transportation last month, City Engineer Jason Havel said in a memo to the Iowa City Council.

“City staff is currently working with our consultant to evaluate options for rebidding the project, which is expected to occur later this year,” Havel said. “A new bidding process will be initiated once the project is ready to be rebid.”

Advertisement

Construction on Gilbert Street Bridge was originally expected to begin by late April, city staff previously said. The heavily traveled bridge near downtown was expected to be closed for most of the year.

The $2.9 million project called for the bridge to be removed and replaced with a new design.

The bridge will remain four lanes, and there will be 6-foot sidewalks on both sides. Water main improvements will occur north of the bridge, and overhead utilities in the project area will be moved underground.

The Iowa City Council in February approved project details and estimated cost of construction.

Reactions: Ree4
— Construction on Gilbert Street Bridge is likely to be delayed after no bids were received for the project.

The bid letting was held for the project at the Iowa Department of Transportation last month, City Engineer Jason Havel said in a memo to the Iowa City Council.

“City staff is currently working with our consultant to evaluate options for rebidding the project, which is expected to occur later this year,” Havel said. “A new bidding process will be initiated once the project is ready to be rebid.”

Advertisement

Construction on Gilbert Street Bridge was originally expected to begin by late April, city staff previously said. The heavily traveled bridge near downtown was expected to be closed for most of the year.

The $2.9 million project called for the bridge to be removed and replaced with a new design.

The bridge will remain four lanes, and there will be 6-foot sidewalks on both sides. Water main improvements will occur north of the bridge, and overhead utilities in the project area will be moved underground.

The Iowa City Council in February approved project details and estimated cost of construction.

**** it, I'll do it. Who wants in with me??

I’ll join. We can use the design I used in high school. Just gonna need about 4 billion toothpicks and couple miles of string.
Ok, but we have to make sure that this new one bounces like the old one when there's a lot of traffic on it. Gotta keep up with tradition!

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Did you read the fine print in the contract?

1. All the homeless living under the Gilbert Street bridge must be temporarily housed in the Hilton Garden, with unlimited expense tab at the Vue. After the project is completed, all homeless will have up to 48 months to return to the bridge. All expenses paid by the contractor...

1. All the homeless living under the Gilbert Street bridge must be temporarily housed in the Hilton Garden, with unlimited expense tab at the Vue. After the project is completed, all homeless will have up to 48 months to return to the bridge. All expenses paid by the contractor...
Enlighten us. Is it woke? You made a statement no contractor would take it at any cost... Clearly contractors are taking city work.

Reactions: Ree4 and torbee
the Iowa River is slightly bigger than a creek

it would be nice to get rid of that crappy old dam too
That is in the works. Expect complete carnage getting to the hospital and sporting events in a few years. They are trying to remove the dam when they replace the two spans on Burlington Street with a single span.

the Iowa River is slightly bigger than a creek

it would be nice to get rid of that crappy old dam too
CreepyDeliciousBluet-max-1mb.gif

Wow

My guess is nobody bid on it due to the low engineer's estimate, if there was one. They only had $2.9 million to work with.
That is some astute logic. Well done brosef.

I’m stoned and busting balls. No homo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT