ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman results last chance qualifier

He got beat by Darian Cruz. Plus, Gilman hasn't wrestled freestyle for 3 years and has never had a match at the senior level until this past weekend. I think it is laughable to think he has a chance to make the finals. Is there anyone outside of Iowa fans that think he has a shot at the finals? We will see soon enough.
Gilman and Ramos were in extremely similar situations coming off of their last year of collegiate competition. You know as well as any of us that he very likely would have smoked Lizak in the finals.

I don't expect him to win the thing or necessarily make the finals, but very few, if any, Iowa fans expected Tony to make the finals when he won it, either. Considering the similarities of their situations, I frankly find it laughable that a knowledgeable fan would consider it laughable that Gilman might reach the finals. I'm sure you and many others are hoping like heck he doesn't.

I agree that Ramos' and Gilman's situations are similar, but I don't think the talent is. Ramos was the better talent.

So, Gilman as a senior is as good as Ramos as a senior?
Yes, I believe they are similar talents. I'm not picking Gilman to win and don't expect him to, but I don't think there is a guy in the field that he can't beat. Tyler Graff is my pick

Reactions: wasdt21
I'm sure you and many others are hoping like heck he doesn't.
Why would I hope he doesn't? I want the person that will do the best at worlds representing the US. If Gilman blazes the field and is that person, than I have some big time crow to eat. I think he has proven himself on the international and that will be good for the US if he were to make the team.

I guess I just don't have the evidence to think he really has a chance. Other than his 2014 worlds performance, there is not much to go off, and I haven't seen how he's done at the senior level. So, until he shows me, I'll take take the cautious opinion that he won't beat guys who I've seen have success on the senior level like Nico, Ramos, NATO, and Garret.

yea roar i know he's qualified i just don't know if he has been working out and plans to go.
Gotcha...maybe someone here knows? If healthy, everyone on the qualifier list goes normally. Good luck to all the wrestlers, should be fun.

Reactions: wasdt21
If Gilman would of wrestled at the US Nationals I think it would of given him a better idea on where he is at because I feel he would wrestle up to his competition. The hill is high for him in Lincoln with that said would I be shocked to see him in the finals? No but with Ramos waiting for him to go two out of three that will be a very difficult task.

I think Gilman could have a bright future, but don't see it happening this year. Don't think he places ahead of Nico, NATO, Garret, Graff, or Perelli this year.

I agree with this, but still think he needs some time to switch over. He will place behind the guys I listed this year, but expect him to be competing for the spot next year.

You mean how Ramos hadn't wrestled freestyle in three years and won it his first time out? Or how about J'Den? If anything, the college guys coming off of competing all year have an advantage vs the guys that have wrestled maybe 1 to 2 tourneys in a year.

Freestyle is essentially a game of takedowns with the exposure factor unless you are really good at laces or guts. The guys that have to make an adjustment are the funky ones.

You sound pretty sure of yourself so I'll donate $50 to the HWC if all of your guys finish ahead of Gilman and you can donate $50 if they don't.

Don't usually do this but was wondering if you would do the right thing Snowball (Crablegs) and give up $50 in the name of Thomas Gilman's effort today.

Chief was spot on about Gilman actually being better at freestyle than folkstyle. Gilman's best position by far is neutral. He's had an amazing ****ing tournament so far. Beating 3 NCAA champs and a runner up and avenging several losses from NCAAs over the past few years. Hope he beats Ramos in 2 matches in the finals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT