ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman results last chance qualifier

Hawk fans will likely be everywhere. We reserved our tickets for WTT a week ago online from the Nebraska ticket office and got Level B section 15. I assume their ticket dispensing algorithm basically gives out the best available seats. There didn't seem to be a way to request specific seats online. Maybe you could do it by calling the ticket office directly during work hours.
That's great! We would have a group heading over, but my parents-in-law are in town that weekend. I love my parents-in-law, but this is really busting my chops, have to admit.

Another focus of Hawk fans in support of the HWC needs to be packing every HWC event with Hawk fans. We have massive numbers and limitless passion -- might as well put both to use and have some f*** in the process! We need to swarm (and yes, that pun is intended) every one of these events. Make Lincoln into Carver West. Make Vegas into Carver Farther West. Make Tokyo into Carver Far East. And it goes without saying that Carver will be jam-packed with screaming Hawk fans (enough to drown out the Iranians, which ain't easy to do with their noise-makers) for the World Cup.

We need to make it crystal clear which club has the greatest fan support at each and every one of these events. That message gets heard by other clubs, other fans, and top P4P recruits. BOOM! Another statement made by the greatest wrestling fans on earth.

I knew Gilman would pull through. Nice job GMAN.

Will be interesting where he falls in the WTT bracket. Given an ideal draw I think he could make the best of 3 against Ramos. I like his chances against Garrett, Tomasello, Sanders, Waters, Delgado, Cruz, and Perrelli. I think Graff, Megaludis, and Ramos(should he make the finals) will give him the toughest matches. All matches will be tough, but now that Gilman knocked off the freestyle rust and got qualified, he can do some serious damage in this bracket.

Bold prediction: Gilman makes 2017 World team right out of college, a la Tony Ramos. Dethrones Tram 2-1 in the finals. Now that hes training full time freestyle, and he has TnT, DD, McD, and in the near future, Lee, and Clark. Also the new HWC coach Perry to work with him full time. I think he just might have a bit of an advantage on the field in respects to training situation.

Will be interesting where he falls in the WTT bracket. Given an ideal draw I think he could make the best of 3 against Ramos. I like his chances against Garrett, Tomasello, Sanders, Waters, Delgado, Cruz, and Perrelli. I think Graff, Megaludis, and Ramos(should he make the finals) will give him the toughest matches. All matches will be tough, but now that Gilman knocked off the freestyle rust and got qualified, he can do some serious damage in this bracket.

Bold prediction: Gilman makes 2017 World team right out of college, a la Tony Ramos. Dethrones Tram 2-1 in the finals. Now that hes training full time freestyle, and he has TnT, DD, McD, and in the near future, Lee, and Clark. Also the new HWC coach Perry to work with him full time. I think he just might have a bit of an advantage on the field in respects to training situation.
And looks over at Coleman Scott and gives him the broke sign?

Reactions: DirkTang1

I like your prediction. But who goes to lunch with Ramos? That's what I want to know.

will olympian daniel dennis be in this. if not i do hope it is gman v tram for the win and while i have no lingering grudge against tony i would be rooting for thomas to win

Mark's presence in the room will be an additional competitive edge, as he's very skilled at breaking down opponents' tendencies and game-planning for specific match-ups. Thomas is clearly in the best lower-weight room in the country with the best work-out partners in the country and the best lower-weight coaches in the country, but I do think Mark brings an added element of game-planning for specific opponents that may help to get him prepared even a little better yet.

I do love me some Gman, but he has a ways to go to be our world team member. In both matches today, he gave up 4 point moves. He has great folkstyle defense, but there is still a learning curve for freestyle for him. He does have trouble with stronger wrestlers and is unable to move them around to take advantage of his offense (at least until he wears them down). He is going to be wrestling some bigger guys at 57 kg with a longer weigh in and is going to have to get even stronger and bigger to deal with them effectively from the start. His par terre offense needs work as well. I don't think he scored any backs or throws. Also gave up a few 1s where he may have gotten 2s - he got behind them but didn't get them broken down to their knees. Even with all that, he showed how awesome he can be. He will get there, but I still think he is a year or two away.

I do love me some Gman, but he has a ways to go to be our world team member. In both matches today, he gave up 4 point moves. He has great folkstyle defense, but there is still a learning curve for freestyle for him. He does have trouble with stronger wrestlers and is unable to move them around to take advantage of his offense (at least until he wears them down). He is going to be wrestling some bigger guys at 57 kg with a longer weigh in and is going to have to get even stronger and bigger to deal with them effectively from the start. His par terre offense needs work as well. I don't think he scored any backs or throws. Also gave up a few 1s where he may have gotten 2s - he got behind them but didn't get them broken down to their knees. Even with all that, he showed how awesome he can be. He will get there, but I still think he is a year or two away.
The good news is that this is pretty much exactly what everyone was saying about Ramos a few years back when he made the World Team fresh off of Nationals -- except that he was probably a little bigger than Thomas, having come from 133 instead of 125.

I think Gilman could have a bright future, but don't see it happening this year. Don't think he places ahead of Nico, NATO, Garret, Graff, or Perelli this year.

If Gilman and Ramos wrestled 10 freestyle matches, what would the results be?

My guess is 7-3 Ramos.

I think Gilman could have a bright future, but don't see it happening this year. Don't think he places ahead of Nico, NATO, Garret, Graff, or Perelli this year.

He has never lost a match to NATO in freestyle and only one in folk. Never lost a match to Garrett in folk...owned Garrett on their feet IIRC. Freestyle does not have what were Gilman's weaknesses...getting rode and not turning guys. Gilman will be better at free than he was at folk.

I think he would have his toughest match against Garret.

He has never lost a match to NATO in freestyle and only one in folk. Never lost a match to Garrett in folk...owned Garrett on their feet IIRC. Freestyle does not have what were Gilman's weaknesses...getting rode and not turning guys. Gilman will be better at free than he was at folk.
I agree - maybe he can bulk up a little. Plus he still has to adjust - the guys he's wrestling have been training freestyle fulltime(most of them)

Reactions: IAChief32

True. Certainly gives one hope that he could make it this year. He is still at a little bit of a size disadvantage on almost all contenders though.

I think he would have his toughest match against Garret.

I'd go with Nico or Ramos. Freestyle favors Gilman because it's not a one or two mistake match. He can shoot in volume against a NATO and not have to worry about giving up two and have NATO stall out the match.

As long as he wrestles his match and stays on offense I like his chances against anyone. If he backs off with the lead like he's been known to do in big matches he will lose to guys like Ramos and Nico more often than not.

Freestyle does not have what were Gilman's weaknesses...getting rode and not turning guys. Gilman will be better at free than he was at folk.
I agree with this, but still think he needs some time to switch over. He will place behind the guys I listed this year, but expect him to be competing for the spot next year.

I agree with this, but still think he needs some time to switch over. He will place behind the guys I listed this year, but expect him to be competing for the spot next year.

You mean how Ramos hadn't wrestled freestyle in three years and won it his first time out? Or how about J'Den? If anything, the college guys coming off of competing all year have an advantage vs the guys that have wrestled maybe 1 to 2 tourneys in a year.

Freestyle is essentially a game of takedowns with the exposure factor unless you are really good at laces or guts. The guys that have to make an adjustment are the funky ones.

You sound pretty sure of yourself so I'll donate $50 to the HWC if all of your guys finish ahead of Gilman and you can donate $50 if they don't.

Gilman's got a really high ceiling in Freestyle. Needs to develop high level par terre offense, I think, but that's pretty common for our boys. His length and tank are two huge physical advantages he's going to have over most guys, plus his solid fundamentals.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAChief32
I think Gilman has the best chance to earn a medal at the world/oly championships of anybody that we've had for awhile now. He projects well to freestyle and 55/57 kg is a relatively weak weight in the US.

When is the last time someone training at the HWC earned a medal at the world championships/olympics? Is it Terry's bronze in Atlanta? Metcalf made a lot of teams but we've had quite the draught from bring home hardware at the world level. 2018 in Iowa City would be a good year to break it!

I think the weigh-in rules will really benefit Gilman. He will be strong, stronger than in NCAA, and surprise a lot of people

You mean how Ramos hadn't wrestled freestyle in three years and won it his first time out? Or how about J'Den? If anything, the college guys coming off of competing all year have an advantage vs the guys that have wrestled maybe 1 to 2 tourneys in a year.

Freestyle is essentially a game of takedowns with the exposure factor unless you are really good at laces or guts. The guys that have to make an adjustment are the funky ones.

You sound pretty sure of yourself so I'll donate $50 to the HWC if all of your guys finish ahead of Gilman and you can donate $50 if they don't.
I'm not going to make a bet, but do stand by my opinion. I think people picking Gman to possibly make the finals are being hugely biased.

It has nothing to do with adjustment of style, it simply has to do with Gilman is not as good as the other guys. Gilman is not near as good of a wrestler coming out of college as Ramos was, and to even mention J'Den is laughable.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp

I'm not going to make a bet, but do stand by my opinion. I think people picking Gman to possibly make the finals are being hugely biased.

It has nothing to do with adjustment of style, it simply has to do with Gilman is not as good as the other guys. Gilman is not near as good of a wrestler coming out of college as Ramos was, and to even mention J'Den is laughable.

Where do I start? You contradict yourself so much...first he needs time to switch over, now he's just not good enough even though he has beaten guys on your list.

You totally missed the point on Ramos and J'Den. BTW, nobody gave Ramos a chance either...I was in your position. Give Tony a year to adjust and he'll be good. I don't know if Gilman will win the spot but he has as good a chance as any...especially with the new weigh-in rules.

Gilman has faired well against Tomasello and Garrett. He has won a junior world bronze. That's enough to put him in the mix. I wouldn't favor him, but you seem to think it's ridiculous and laughable. I'm not following your logic.

will olympian daniel dennis be in this. if not i do hope it is gman v tram for the win and while i have no lingering grudge against tony i would be rooting for thomas to win
Yes, on the criteria that he was a 2016 Olympian. Here's the field at 57 kg...

57 kg/125.5 lbs.
'17 U.S. Open champion advances to Trials finals series -- Tony Ramos, Chapel Hill, N.C. (Sunkist Kids WC)

World Team Trials Tournament qualifiers
'16 Olympian -- Daniel Dennis, Iowa City, Iowa (Hawkeye WC)
'16 Bill Farrell highest U.S. medalist -- Nico Megaludis, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
'17 Dave Schultz highest U.S. medalist -- Tyler Graff, New Brunswick, N.J. (New York AC)
'17 NCAA Division I champion -- Darian Cruz, Allentown, Pa. (Lehigh)
'17 U.S. Open runner-up -- Nahshon Garrett, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids WC)
'17 U.S. Open third place -- Nathan Tomasello, Parma, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
'17 U.S. Open fourth place -- Frank Perrelli, Charlottesville, Va. (Titan Mercury WC)
'17 U.S. Open fifth place -- Zach Sanders, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
'17 U.S. Open sixth place -- Alan Waters, Columbia, Mo. (Titan Mercury)
'17 U.S. Open seventh place -- Jesse Delgado, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC)
'17 Northern Plains Last Chance Trials Qualifier highest placer - Thomas Gilman, Iowa City, IA (Hawkeye Wrestling Club)

Reactions: wasdt21
yea roar i know he's qualified i just don't know if he has been working out and plans to go.

Where do I start? You contradict yourself so much...first he needs time to switch over, now he's just not good enough even though he has beaten guys on your list.

You totally missed the point on Ramos and J'Den. BTW, nobody gave Ramos a chance either...I was in your position. Give Tony a year to adjust and he'll be good. I don't know if Gilman will win the spot but he has as good a chance as any...especially with the new weigh-in rules.

I wish HR would put some kind of blank in the post to indicate that an ignored poster put something in the thread or that the "good" poster is responding to an ignored poster.

I read Chief's post and am thinking to myself, "What the heck is he talking about." I previously posted that I love Gman but think he still has a little work to do. I am wondering if he is responding to me (although I wouldn't put it past Chief to have a conversation/disagreement with himself ;)). Then I have to show ignored posts just to see what is going on. If the HR fellas could make that change, it would help make the board more readable for us that choose to ignore some posters.

Gilman has faired well against Tomasello and Garrett. He has won a junior world bronze. That's enough to put him in the mix. I wouldn't favor him, but you seem to think it's ridiculous and laughable. I'm not following your logic.
He got beat by Darian Cruz. Plus, Gilman hasn't wrestled freestyle for 3 years and has never had a match at the senior level until this past weekend. I think it is laughable to think he has a chance to make the finals. Is there anyone outside of Iowa fans that think he has a shot at the finals? We will see soon enough.

That is not a contradiction. He does need time to adjust, but not his style. He needs to adjust to the level of wrestling. Other than this weekend he has never wrestled a senior level match. Again, we'll see. And he might beat one or 2 of the guys on my list, but it'd be an absolute shock if he were to win the challenge tournament, and I'd be surprised if he were even top 3.

He got beat by Darian Cruz. Plus, Gilman hasn't wrestled freestyle for 3 years and has never had a match at the senior level until this past weekend. I think it is laughable to think he has a chance to make the finals. Is there anyone outside of Iowa fans that think he has a shot at the finals? We will see soon enough.

The year Ramos first won the WTT, he got pinned by Joe Colon and also lost to AJ Schopp. So. yeah, your logic is definitely sound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT