ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman v Fix

I have...More like he is uncertain and doesn’t wrestle his match. Saw it when he got stuck at NCAAs, against Suriano and Cruz. He lost other matches but the above ones were matches he wasn’t in mentally.
Chip on the shoulder and uncertainty... Two different things.

Regardless, needs to be aggressive and mean June 9th. Wish I could be there.

I’ve been picking Gilman all year, but Daton looked flat out awesome at WTT. Very athletic, fast, strong, and a wide range of ways to score.

Others have nailed the game plan for Gilman. Hands on him, control the ties, get to the single and finish. I’m sticking with Gilman in 2 close, low scoring matches.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Fix is not a guy who you really have to worry about his leg attacks. He will slide you by and inside trip you. He is also a very good scrambler in 50/50 and defensive positions and kicks out of single legs really well.

I think Gilman is as strong as they get at 57 kg, will control the ties, and will be able to not give up underhooks and overhooks. I think it will be 2-0, 2-1 types of matches with Gilman securing a couple of his single legs for a takedown or a couple of pushouts in each match, really frustrating Fix in ties. The obvious key to beating Fix is never giving him a chance to get on top -- he guts everyone -- so, you just can't get taken down.

Reactions: GableEdge and Exo
I think this will be one of the best or most intriguing weights for Final X along with Dake/Valencia in my opinion. The reason is the thing Daton does best is gut people, but we don't really see Gilman get turned. The thing Gilman does best is hand fight, control ties and his single but we saw Daton against Tony(granted not as good as Gilman) stay center and defend off singles. Think these will be low scoring matches and I agree with others on I think it depends if Gilman can score off his single. If Gilman can score even push outs consistently I think he wins as long as Daton doesn't get multiple turns.

Reactions: Exo
Against Suriano? Think you mean Zeke Moisey right?

Comma between the two. I included Suriano match because Gilman wrestled very hesitantly against him even though he won. If that Gilman shows up, Fix will pick him apart. If Last year’s Trials Gilman shows up, he wins. In Lincoln, he wrestled smart and aggressive, with no sign of overthinking or second guessing himself. That Gilman is tough to beat.

Comma between the two. I included Suriano match because Gilman wrestled very hesitantly against him even though he won. If that Gilman shows up, Fix will pick him apart. If Last year’s Trials Gilman shows up, he wins. In Lincoln, he wrestled smart and aggressive, with no sign of overthinking or second guessing himself. That Gilman is tough to beat.
Great point chief. This will be a big test to see if Gilman has conquered some of the mental blocks (overthinking) that he is done in the past. With this much time off and waiting, I could see him possibly getting into his own head too much.

If Gilman doesn’t beat himself mentally I think he wins this match. But, he will need to be on the top of his game, because Daton will be wrestling with nothing to lose.

If Gilman doesn’t beat himself mentally I think he wins this match. But, he will need to be on the top of his game, because Daton will be wrestling with nothing to lose.

That's the thing with a guy like Daton or Spencer. They have it. They don't go into matches thinking about the possibility of losing. Call it an arrogance or whatever but that's why Spencer thought he could beat a real good wrestler in DeSanto on a bum leg with Mono. Gilman loses to Cruz in a close one, doesn't choose down because of a confidence issue but comes back a few months later and completely houses him. Gilman is at his best when he has doubters so over the next few weeks, he is going to hear about the greatness of Fix so hopefully that starts the engines.

I believe that McD was a primary training partner for Gilman. Unfortunately, I think McD’s departure will affect Gilman. Hopefully others can fill the void. Great wrestlers don’t always make great training/coaching partners especially if they compete

I believe that McD was a primary training partner for Gilman. Unfortunately, I think McD’s departure will affect Gilman. Hopefully others can fill the void. Great wrestlers don’t always make great training/coaching partners especially if they compete

Hmmmm.... I am not sure about this but Gilman still has Cory Clark and Spenser Lee to scrap with, not too mention Austin DeSanto very soon so I am sure Thomas has plenty of firepower to train with in Iowa City still...

First, I don't think Ramos is the same guy as when he was training in Iowa City. Just doesn't appear that he steps on the mat believing he's the baddest man in the valley and has lost some of the "swagger" he once had. Gilman was pretty convincing in the manner he beat Ramos a year ago. Gilman will come into Lincoln with a chip on his shoulder and feeling very confident. Which why wouldn't you feel very confident when you have, Tom, Terry and Mark Perry working to prepare him for one opponent. He'll be ready, really ready and I don't believe Fix is going to enjoy the matchup.

First, I don't think Ramos is the same guy as when he was training in Iowa City. Just doesn't appear that he steps on the mat believing he's the baddest man in the valley and has lost some of the "swagger" he once had. Gilman was pretty convincing in the manner he beat Ramos a year ago. Gilman will come into Lincoln with a chip on his shoulder and feeling very confident. Which why wouldn't you feel very confident when you have, Tom, Terry and Mark Perry working to prepare him for one opponent. He'll be ready, really ready and I don't believe Fix is going to enjoy the matchup.

I hope you are right T8.

Works for me.

Reactions: Huck
Hmmmm.... I am not sure about this but Gilman still has Cory Clark and Spenser Lee to scrap with, not too mention Austin DeSanto very soon so I am sure Thomas has plenty of firepower to train with in Iowa City still...

I think you missed my point --- all those guys are currently competing and have a primary goal of improving themselves. McD's primary goal was improving Gilman et al. McD was/is a great communicator and not all great athletes can or will coach/communicate. I think he was a major loss. Hopefully TG will continue to evolve without him.

Reactions: Dagboi
Ramos wasn't the same wrestler in my opinion that he once was in Iowa City..maybe it's the bitterness or simply lack of talent he once trained with, but his fire seamed to be diminished. His life has changed dramatically with age, marriage, fatherhood and although he talks a good game he doesn't seam to wrestle with the same in your face attacking style.
If your only fuel is hate, for perceived wrongs committed supposedly against you, eventually there's nothing left...Tony seams that way now.
Gilman on the other hand has plenty of fuel, if he wrestles his match and gets attacking early he will have no trouble.

Reactions: Grip220 and Exo

Not being the most "must-sit-next-to" guy in the lunch room will do that to anyone. ;)

At a certain point, you start cutting muscle and become weaker with the weight loss. Just look at how Lee handled Thomosello who took third at 33 a few years ago. Fix and Lee are full bodied 57 lber. Plus they are young. A summer of pizza,fries, and a few burgers and brats, and you can say bye bye to 25. If not that, than a sorority girlfriend will do the trick. Just don’t see those two at 25. Same as Minnesota kid and Rutgers kid moving up to 33. Suriano.

What part of the way Lee handled his knee recovery freshman year would lead you to believe he would be undisciplined enough to have a summer full of "pizza beer and brats"????

You should have your wrestling fan card revoked for that post, but based on some ur other recent posts, it probably never will be

Ramos wasn't the same wrestler in my opinion that he once was in Iowa City..maybe it's the bitterness or simply lack of talent he once trained with, but his fire seamed to be diminished. His life has changed dramatically with age, marriage, fatherhood and although he talks a good game he doesn't seam to wrestle with the same in your face attacking style.
If your only fuel is hate, for perceived wrongs committed supposedly against you, eventually there's nothing left...Tony seams that way now.
Gilman on the other hand has plenty of fuel, if he wrestles his match and gets attacking early he will have no trouble.
I agree Ramos is not the wrestler he once was and Gilman is at his peak I feel. I would imagine Spencer and Co. Are hitting plenty of slide by’s and inside trips for him to defend, he will be ready I have Gilman winning two straight.

That's the thing with a guy like Daton or Spencer. They have it. They don't go into matches thinking about the possibility of losing. Call it an arrogance or whatever but that's why Spencer thought he could beat a real good wrestler in DeSanto on a bum leg with Mono. Gilman loses to Cruz in a close one, doesn't choose down because of a confidence issue but comes back a few months later and completely houses him. Gilman is at his best when he has doubters so over the next few weeks, he is going to hear about the greatness of Fix so hopefully that starts the engines.

I heard Fix is going to stomp a mudhole in Gilman.

Ramos has never been dominant, either in NCAA or freestyle. Hard to say whether his performance has declined or some recent matches have simply swung the other way based on law of averages. Ramos is still tough.

In any event, I'm rooting for Gilman over Fix.
Agree totally. For the most part Ramos fought and clawed his way to victories. He was the best in the USA for a while but could not find success internationally. Now the best in the USA can find success internationally and Ramos is no longer the best in the USA. I do not think moving had anything to do with him getting beat. I think others getting better is why he is getting beat. We have guys who can win internationally now. He is still one tough hombre (a little Spanish lingo there for our friends to the south of us).

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT