ADVERTISEMENT

Goaltending reversal the other day

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
What was the game a few years ago where an overturned goaltend hurt us, similar to how it hurt Wisconsin saturday? We took a shot, it was blocked right to Kris or Keegan and they laid it in immediately, but goaltending was called on the original shot and the put-back didn't count. It was late in game so they reviewed the goaltending call right away and it was overturned. They then awarded the other team the ball based on the alternate possession arrow. Did this happen in Champaign?

What was the game a few years ago where an overturned goaltend hurt us, similar to how it hurt Wisconsin saturday? We took a shot, it was blocked right to Kris or Keegan and they laid it in immediately, but goaltending was called on the original shot and the put-back didn't count. It was late in game so they reviewed the goaltending call right away and it was overturned. They then awarded the other team the ball based on the alternate possession arrow. Did this happen in Champaign?
It seems odd that a goaltending reversal doesn't just give ball to team that has points taken away and alternating possession does not apply.

It seems odd that a goaltending reversal doesn't just give ball to team that has points taken away and alternating possession does not apply.

It seems strange. They could look at it like football does on fumble reviews with immediate possession/recovery. Use common sense.

Like the inadvertent whistle when Iowa was inbounding. Iowa was throwing the ball in and there was an inadvertent whistle on the play that hadn’t even started yet (or put in play). Iowa kept the ball for another inbound, only because they had the possession arrow. But then lost the poss arrow as a result of poor officiating, which could have been huge in such a close game late. Had the arrow been in Wisconsin’s favor, Iowa would have lost that possession for doing nothing wrong. Seems odd.

As to the OP, I can’t remember the exact game, but for some reason I was thinking Indiana?

Reactions: DTP2 and nelly02
It seems strange. They could look at it like football does on fumble reviews with immediate possession/recovery. Use common sense.

Like the inadvertent whistle when Iowa was inbounding. Iowa was throwing the ball in and there was an inadvertent whistle on the play that hadn’t even started yet (or put in play). Iowa kept the ball for another inbound, only because they had the possession arrow. But then lost the poss arrow as a result of poor officiating, which could have been huge in such a close game late. Had the arrow been in Wisconsin’s favor, Iowa would have lost that possession for doing nothing wrong. Seems odd.

As to the OP, I can’t remember the exact game, but for some reason I was thinking Indiana?
Thanks - it for did for sure happen to one of the Murray's, right? I'm not dreaming that?

Just after the 2:00 mark. Called GT and Wieskamp put it back in. Reviewed…. No GT, no put back either. Scored stayed at 72.

You get the opportunity to listen to Bardo commentate on his Illini again. Always a fun listen.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: El Simbolo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT