ADVERTISEMENT

Godzilla Minus One

My uncle (only 8 yrs older) went to the drive in with his girlfriend to watch that. For some reason he took my 10 yr old self along.

Anyway, it was a double feature with the Bo Derek Tarzan movie. Bo Derek getting washed naked by the tribe is burned into my memory (in a good way). Probably my first chubby.
Was that Tarzan movie with Richard Harris

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Not sure. It was the one with Bo Derek’s naked oiled and lathered up body.

About the only thing my 10 yr old self remembered
bathtime.jpg

CpvxTcjXgAQsFqW.jpg

That and the bathing scene in clash of the titans were quite memorable. And vacation when Beverly deangelo was in the shower in vacation. Also Jamie Lee Curtis in trading places. And the car washing in cool hand Luke.
Nothing will ever top Phoebe Cates in the pool in Fast Times in Torbee’s personal spank bank.

The Best GIF

Saw it tonight

More of a war movie really. Totally unlike other Japanese Godzilla movies. Tremendous.

Think 'Red Badge of Courage'.

Again, tremendous. Surprised me greatly and I heard the good word of mouth.
Saw it tonight to based on reading trusted posters here and seeing its Rotten Tomatoes rating. Yeah, an epic. Definitely will watch again at some point. The violence was not so bad that my 4th grader can’t see it, so maybe I will take her.

I just saw the AV Club's piece on the 30 best films of 2023. Godzilla didn't make it. I'm pretty dumbfounded.
Probably not fans of anything with the wrong amount of sci-fi/monster/comic book element to it in their film snobby films, even if said film is otherwise a good movie without the monster stuff in it.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I don’t factor in budget when determining “best movie,” and already stated I enjoyed this movie. A couple of lower budget films that are worth a watch are “Past Lives” and “Anatomy of a Fall.” A couple more would be in the convo for “best” this year (for me). I thought “Across the Spider-verse” was absolutely fantastic, but wouldn’t say it’s the “best of the year.” Certain movies just tick different boxes (again, for me)…that’s all.
Oh look what got nominated for best picture…

Reactions: JRHawk2003
FYI

This is opening for a one week run at Film Scene in Iowa City starting Friday the 26th.

If you have not seen it, go.

I am cheering for it to beat Barbie and Oppenheimer.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Oh look what got nominated for best picture…

I still have to see three of the nominees, including Past Lives, but of the nominees that I've seen, Anatomy of a Fall would by my pick. I was kind of hoping for Iron Claw to sneak in there. Zac Efron was phenomenal, he deserves a nomination even if the movie doesn't.

I haven't seen everything, but I think my favorites on the year are probably:
1 - Godzilla Minus 1
2 - Anatomy of a Fall
3 - Blackberry
4 - The Iron Claw
5 - Eileen
6 - American Fiction

Ok, I saw Past Lives. It was very good for what it was. I don't know I'd have it at the top of my list. It's kind of like saying your favorite food is scrambled eggs. Yeah, they're great and all, but it just doesn't seem like enough.

Ok, I saw Past Lives. It was very good for what it was. I don't know I'd have it at the top of my list. It's kind of like saying your favorite food is scrambled eggs. Yeah, they're great and all, but it just doesn't seem like enough.
We saw Past Lives over the weekend. I liked it, although I'm a basic bitch and wanted a happy ending.

Reactions: Nole Lou
We enjoyed both of those.

Yeah, Anatomy of a Fall was definitely my favorite non-Godzilla movie.

Under the radar movie I watched last night, technically it was a 2022 in France, but only released here in late 2023, called Origin of Evil. Think Saltburn but with ladies and a lot better (to me). French thriller/dark comedy. I'd probably have it in my top 6-7 movies of 2023 I think.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yeah, Anatomy of a Fall was definitely my favorite non-Godzilla movie.

Under the radar movie I watched last night, technically it was a 2022 in France, but only released here in late 2023, called Origin of Evil. Think Saltburn but with ladies and a lot better (to me). French thriller/dark comedy. I'd probably have it in my top 6-7 movies of 2023 I think.
We will have to check it out. We are running out of series and movies to watch - a true first world problem...

The only Oscar category I had a definite opinion on the most deserving. And they won (on a fraction of a Hollywood budget):

Honestly it’s ten years from now. On what was the best movie in a given year. If a piece of art still holds up after multiple viewings and years then we know which is better. Saving Private Ryan or Shakespeare in Love? Pulp Fiction , Shawshank Redemption, or Forrest Gump.

Honestly it’s ten years from now. On what was the best movie in a given year. If a piece of art still holds up after multiple viewings and years then we know which is better. Saving Private Ryan or Shakespeare in Love? Pulp Fiction , Shawshank Redemption, or Forrest Gump.

First one was a good example. The second not so much because I would consider them all classics on par with each other.

The worst snubs for best picture in my opinion are:

2022 Top Gun Maverick losing to Everything Everywhere All At Once (and I say that as a huge SciFi and Fantasy Fan who did love EEAAO but realizes that Top Gun Maverick wasn’t just the best picture that year, but the best one since Mad Max Fury Road in 2015 and arguably since 2012 Django Unchained)
2021 Dune instead of Coda (I mean come on! Dune was considered “unfilmable” by countless famous directors and it was turned into a masterpiece on par with the Lord of the Rings)
2015 Mad Max Fury Road instead of Spotlight
2012 Django Unchained instead of Argo
2009 Inglorious Bastards instead of The Hurt Locker
2004 Sideways instead of Million Dollar Baby
1999 The Matrix or Green Mile instead of American Beauty
1998 Saving Private Ryan or Big Lebowski instead of Shakespeare in Love
1989 Dead Poets Society instead of Driving Miss Daisy
1985 Goonies or The Color Purple or Back to the Future or The Breakfast Club or Fletch or St Elmo’s Fire or Flesh and Blood or Pee Wee’s Big Adventure or Clue or Legend or Brazil or Ran or Enemy Mine instead of Out of Africa
1980 Caddyshack or Empire Strikes Back or 9 to 5 or The Blues Brothers or The Gods Must Be Crazy or Airplane or Raging Bull or Fame instead of Ordinary People

I’m not going past the 80s because I don’t know enough of the oldies to consider myself informed on the subject.

I was very tempted to add 2000 as it has O Brother Where Art Thou which is probably my favorite movie of all time. But Gladiator is also excellent so it’s tough to say it was a “snub”.

First one was a good example. The second not so much because I would consider them all classics on par with each other.

The worst snubs for best picture in my opinion are:

2022 Top Gun Maverick losing to Everything Everywhere All At Once (and I say that as a huge SciFi and Fantasy Fan who did love EEAAO but realizes that Top Gun Maverick wasn’t just the best picture that year, but the best one since Mad Max Fury Road in 2015 and arguably since 2012 Django Unchained)
2021 Dune instead of Coda (I mean come on! Dune was considered “unfilmable” by countless famous directors and it was turned into a masterpiece on par with the Lord of the Rings)
2015 Mad Max Fury Road instead of Spotlight
2012 Django Unchained instead of Argo
2009 Inglorious Bastards instead of The Hurt Locker
2004 Sideways instead of Million Dollar Baby
1999 The Matrix or Green Mile instead of American Beauty
1998 Saving Private Ryan or Big Lebowski instead of Shakespeare in Love
1989 Dead Poets Society instead of Driving Miss Daisy
1985 Goonies or The Color Purple or Back to the Future or The Breakfast Club or Fletch or St Elmo’s Fire or Flesh and Blood or Pee Wee’s Big Adventure or Clue or Legend or Brazil or Ran or Enemy Mine instead of Out of Africa
1980 Caddyshack or Empire Strikes Back or 9 to 5 or The Blues Brothers or The Gods Must Be Crazy or Airplane or Raging Bull or Fame instead of Ordinary People

I’m not going past the 80s because I don’t know enough of the oldies to consider myself informed on the subject.

I was very tempted to add 2000 as it has O Brother Where Art Thou which is probably my favorite movie of all time. But Gladiator is also excellent so it’s tough to say it was a “snub”.

1990 Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT