ADVERTISEMENT

Godzilla Minus One

Nole Lou

HR Heisman
Apr 5, 2002
I caught this last night at an early showing, in a Dolby Cinema, before the Beyonce movie takes over all the Dolby and IMAX formats starting today.

This is the best movie of the year. It's arguably the best Godzilla movie of all time, at the very least since the original. For my money, it's the best giant monster movie since 1933's King Kong. But that's besides the point, as it is much more than a kaiju or genre movie. Everyone should see this.

I'm just about as big a film snob as anyone on here, and it's legit the finest movie I've seen this year. Better than Oppenheimer, which I liked.

It's a war movie, a melodrama, a period piece, a disaster movie, an action movie, and pretty much pitch perfect the whole way.

I can't recommend it enough.

I caught this last night at an early showing, in a Dolby Cinema, before the Beyonce movie takes over all the Dolby and IMAX formats starting today.

This is the best movie of the year. It's arguably the best Godzilla movie of all time, at the very least since the original. For my money, it's the best giant monster movie since 1933's King Kong. But that's besides the point, as it is much more than a kaiju or genre movie. Everyone should see this.

I'm just about as big a film snob as anyone on here, and it's legit the finest movie I've seen this year. Better than Oppenheimer, which I liked.

It's a war movie, a melodrama, a period piece, a disaster movie, an action movie, and pretty much pitch perfect the whole way.

My son was telling me about it. Said it was really a throwback to the original 1950's version.

I notice in every new movie GZ get's a little more athletic and agile. He's starting to look like Lebron.
Happy Jump GIF by Max

I thought Godzilla was on our side!

Most people only know him as a protector.
However, the original Godzilla was a metaphor for nuclear destruction. In the original he was just a destructive force of nature. I'm giddy they took it back to the original dark roots. Godzilla should remain a terrifying force and not a comical figure.

My sister is a nut for Godzilla movies - she’s a senior citizen with advanced degrees and an Ivy League fellowship but she loves her some ‘Zilla so she’ll try to drag a family member with her to see it. 😏

Pic of sister?

Reactions: HawkMD

I agree. Saw it this afternoon.

Best Godzilla movie ever, and better than the original. No Godzilla that's a cartoonish charicature of himself. No "protector" of the human race. Just an angry monster the way he was meant to be. The way they designed his atomic breath is awesome.

It has an actual storyline and a main character you care about.

My only quibble is I would have liked to have seen a little more destruction from the big guy.

I second Lou's recommendation. Definitely a must-see.

This genre might be the next. I admit I am enjoying monarch legacy of monsters on Apple TV. A bit cliche and the CGI needs a little work but it is pretty cool. The GOT dragon creator must be the same person doing these monsters because they move and shriek almost the same way.

CSB- My 5 y/o grand daughter loves the above video, and loves Godzilla. Is GZ-1 going to be appropriate if I take her to see that?
I would say no, and here's why:

It's not any more graphic than any other Godzilla movie. No problem there. But he's not onscreen all that much. A lot of the film focuses on the main character and his personal "demons" resulting from the war and a previous encounter with Godzilla. Your granddaughter is likely to be bored, although she will definitely love the parts when Godzilla is on screen.

Another reason is: it is in Japanese with English subtitles. Unless she is a good (and fast) reader, she won't know what's going on.

Because of the heavy emphasis on story and not so much on monster mayhem, it is not really geared for kids.

I would say no, and here's why:

It's not any more graphic than any other Godzilla movie. No problem there. But he's not onscreen all that much. A lot of the film focuses on the main character and his personal "demons" resulting from the war and a previous encounter with Godzilla. Your granddaughter is likely to be bored, although she will definitely love the parts when Godzilla is on screen.

Another reason is: it is in Japanese with English subtitles. Unless she is a good (and fast) reader, she won't know what's going on.

Because of the heavy emphasis on story and not so much on monster mayhem, it is not really geared for kids.
Thanks much!

Saw it tonight as well.

Budget and visual effects aside, it really was one of the best movies of the year for me, and certainly one of the best Godzilla films of all time.

I still loved the build up to the atomic breath in the 2014 Godzilla movie, but this one was pretty got dam awe-inspiring as well.

Btw, this movie had a budget of $15 million.......if that.

And it was a better movie than anything that spent over $200 million this year hands down.

Saw it tonight as well.

Budget and visual effects aside, it really was one of the best movies of the year for me, and certainly one of the best Godzilla films of all time.

I still loved the build up to the atomic breath in the 2014 Godzilla movie, but this one was pretty got dam awe-inspiring as well.

Btw, this movie had a budget of $15 million.......if that.

And it was a better movie than anything that spent over $200 million this year hands down.

I haven’t seen this yet but between this and The Creator I have no idea why some of these movies cost 200 million plus.

I haven’t seen this yet but between this and The Creator I have no idea why some of these movies cost 200 million plus.
Yup.

And with special effects getting cheaper and cheaper to make, movie budgets should be dropping lower and lower in the future.

I do think a lot of that nowadays is more for filming on locations, and the massive sets they build to create some of these scenes............even though it's been proven that you don't need to invest that much when effects can take care of it on the cheap.........so long as your story isn't sh**.

Yup.

And with special effects getting cheaper and cheaper to make, movie budgets should be dropping lower and lower in the future.

I do think a lot of that nowadays is more for filming on locations, and the massive sets they build to create some of these scenes............even though it's been proven that you don't need to invest that much when effects can take care of it on the cheap.........so long as your story isn't sh**.

The most expensive movies now are the ones filmed basically on green screen. Makes no sense. I love movies filmed on location.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT