ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga is in Spokane, WA

If we would have attacked the rim in this game from the start would have been living on the free throw line. Would have been a different ball game.

This game could have been played inside of Carver Hawkeye with armed security barring the door from anyone wearing black & gold and the result would have been similar. There is a reason Gonzaga is a two seed. Saying they don't deserve it because of their weak conference is a slap in the face to a team I love that got blown out of the gym last night.

Originally posted by Mogwai88:
That is 4 hour drive to Seattle. So please everyone stop with "they got a home game!".

This is how the NCAA tournament works. If you are good enough to get a 1 or 2 seed, you play close to home during the first two rounds. That is why Kentucky is playing in Louisville, Duke is playing in Charlotte, Virginia is playing in Charlotte, Kansas is playing in Omaha, Villanova was playing in Pittsburgh, etc.

Some of you are just not very educated on the NCAA tournament. Blaming an absolute embarrassing beat down loss on Gonzaga being 4 hours from home?

This post was edited on 3/22 6:13 PM by Mogwai88
It was a home game

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
That is 4 hour drive to Seattle. So please everyone stop with "they got a home game!".

This is how the NCAA tournament works. If you are good enough to get a 1 or 2 seed, you play close to home during the first two rounds. That is why Kentucky is playing in Louisville, Duke is playing in Charlotte, Virginia is playing in Charlotte, Kansas is playing in Omaha, Villanova was playing in Pittsburgh, etc.

Some of you are just not very educated on the NCAA tournament. Blaming an absolute embarrassing beat down loss on Gonzaga being 4 hours from home?

It was a home game
Agreed. Just like Kansas playing in Omaha, Kentucky playing in Louisville, Duke in Charlotte, Dayton in Columbus, and so on. The NCAA needs to get back to the old system. Send them wherever and deal with it. Don't keep certain teams at home or close to home.

If the sites are pre-determined they need to have 6 cities in each region and rotate them. (Midewest region KC, STL, Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Omaha) (South Region Jacksonville, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, OKC, San Antonio) (East Region NYC, Pitt, Washington DC, Baltimore, Columbus, and Lousville) (West Region Seattle, San Fran, LA, Salt Lake, Denver, and Phoenix). These are just the ones off the top of my head. I am sure there are tons more options. But then one year you have games in Milwaukee & Omaha. The following year they are Chicago & KC. The next STL & Minneapolis. Rotate it and whoever is the top team (wisky, Kansas, ISU) send them to the East South or West region and bring in teams from other parts of the country to play in the midwest.

Then send the top team out of the midwest to the South, East, or West. Don't keep them close to home. If you want to, have them play their 1st two rounds out of the area an then for the sweet 16, if they advance, bring them back close to home. I just don't like the fact that Dayton got play a home game when they were the 11seed? I also do like Duke playing in their back yard just like Kentucky.

I know it will never change because the NCAA is just like every other business all they care about $$. They could care less about cheating scandals or other issues. As long as they collect their $$, they are happy.

Originally posted by ferentzin04:
I have no doubt that if 2nd seeded Iowa played 7th seeded Gonzaga in Chicago it would essentially be a home game for Iowa. 4 hours isn't that far.

Having said that, Gonzaga essentially playing a home game had little to do with the outcome today.
I completely get your point, but I do disagree somewhat. Its more like a quasi home game or something between a neutral court and a home game. Obviously, the crowd is going to be in your favor. But the crowd is just one element of the home court advantage. There are many other benefits to playing at home, like not having to stay in a hotel, not having to travel before the game, and playing in a gym that you are intimately familiar with. Yes, the crowd advantage makes it a home atmosphere, but the lack of all of the other advantages means its not really a home game.

Originally posted by WhiteSoxClone:
I have no doubt that if 2nd seeded Iowa played 7th seeded Gonzaga in Chicago it would essentially be a home game for Iowa. 4 hours isn't that far.

Having said that, Gonzaga essentially playing a home game had little to do with the outcome today.
I completely get your point, but I do disagree somewhat. Its more like a quasi home game or something between a neutral court and a home game. Obviously, the crowd is going to be in your favor. But the crowd is just one element of the home court advantage. There are many other benefits to playing at home, like not having to stay in a hotel, not having to travel before the game, and playing in a gym that you are intimately familiar with. Yes, the crowd advantage makes it a home atmosphere, but the lack of all of the other advantages means its not really a home game.
I am also going to throw out the time change element. I hate how in football anytime a Big Ten team goes out west, they have to play at 9pm central time. I think that is BS and it is a disadvantage for the Big Ten Team. When ASU & Arizona came to Iowa we had to play those games at 6pm and I think 2:30 because 11:00am was to early?? I just don't know why every time a midwest team goes west, the games are late.

Regardless of the Zags/Iowa game I just don't like how the NCAA set up the NCAA tournament anymore. I hate how Duke always plays in Charlotte, Kentucky is always near by and so on. Its not fair and they need to change it.

Originally posted by HaydenHawk8:
Didn't ISU have an issue with a player like this?

I just think if u play professional in any country
u lose your college eligibility. Just think it's shady.
I don't know if it's who you were talking about, but Lucca Staiger was ruled ineligible his FR year because he played on a club team with pros in Germany. I don't know that he was paid, but he definitely had teammates that were being paid.

For the record, I thought it was stupid. If he wasn't being compensated, he should have been eligible.

Originally posted by SSG T:

I don't know if it's who you were talking about, but Lucca Staiger was ruled ineligible his FR year because he played on a club team with pros in Germany. I don't know that he was paid, but he definitely had teammates that were being paid.

For the record, I thought it was stupid. If he wasn't being compensated, he should have been eligible.
Yep that is who I was thinking of. I just think the NCAA is walking a fine line when allowing over seas players who play professionally to come back here and play college ball. I get it, even if they weren't paid, but still if you go professional in something, you should lose your ability to play college sports. Playing against Pro's is an advantage and not one that everyone gets. I think the NCAA shouldn't allow it in the future. But that's just my thought.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

Originally posted by WhiteSoxClone:

I am also going to throw out the time change element. I hate how in football anytime a Big Ten team goes out west, they have to play at 9pm central time. I think that is BS and it is a disadvantage for the Big Ten Team. When ASU & Arizona came to Iowa we had to play those games at 6pm and I think 2:30 because 11:00am was to early?? I just don't know why every time a midwest team goes west, the games are late.

Regardless of the Zags/Iowa game I just don't like how the NCAA set up the NCAA tournament anymore. I hate how Duke always plays in Charlotte, Kentucky is always near by and so on. Its not fair and they need to change it.
You know, time change is a bigger disadvantage than most people probably think. There was just a study done about how sleep patterns versus time of play have a significant impact on athletic performance. It was pretty remarkable. Perhaps I should have found the article I read on BBC and sent it to Hoiberg when I saw they were in the early games on Thursday. Essentially, a team can get a big advantage if they would use the time between games to adjust their sleep times to be at maximum performance levels at start time of the next game. If its a later game, you need to transition to a later bed time and rise time, early game then you need to do just the opposite.

But throw in time changes in there and it can really mess with an athlete's sleep patterns.

This post was edited on 3/24 9:10 AM by WhiteSoxClone

Next time take the full dosage the Dr. recommends. It isn't good to skip a dosage either just because you are feeling good at the time. Best of luck with your condition; mental illness is a bitch.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

Originally posted by SSG T:

Yep that is who I was thinking of. I just think the NCAA is walking a fine line when allowing over seas players who play professionally to come back here and play college ball. I get it, even if they weren't paid, but still if you go professional in something, you should lose your ability to play college sports. Playing against Pro's is an advantage and not one that everyone gets. I think the NCAA shouldn't allow it in the future. But that's just my thought.
Actually, though I can't remember his name, I do recall that ISU had the #1 JUCO recruit in the nation commit to play for them and then he was ruled ineligible because he essentially took per diem money from a club team, and I think the club team was in Australia. He would have played on the ISU team with Tinsley and Horton (but no Fizer) that lost to Hampton. He was a really big guy and probably would have been a huge asset to that team. No idea what happened to him. If Lone Clone reads this thread, he'll remember the guy's name.

It seems to me you aren't even sure what your own argument is.

You state that they weren't given an advantage because they had to go a full 4 hours from campus, but then go on to state that they (and other teams) earned that advantage.

I'm not saying either is necessarily wrong, I'd just like to see you pick one and go with it rather than just howling at the moon.

Originally posted by Guido Sarducci:

It seems to me you aren't even sure what your own argument is.

You state that they weren't given an advantage because they had to go a full 4 hours from campus, but then go on to state that they (and other teams) earned that advantage.

I'm not saying either is necessarily wrong, I'd just like to see you pick one and go with it rather than just howling at the moon.
He never said they weren't given an advantage...he was stating that it is not a home game like some have tried to claim.

Dimensional Travel by way of errant posts?

The post above was edited at 6:13 pm on 8/22? Odd, it originally appeared at about 8:09 PM on 8/22.

This was Mogwai88's first post and he posted five times (all on this thread) and then I do not believe he has been back since. Time between first to last post? 32 minutes.

I'm not sure there WAS even any complaint from "everyone" about Gonzaga having a home court advantage. In fact, before the game I thought I'd read several posts expressing delight that it may be a home court ATMOSPHERE for Gonzaga and that could work in our 6-3 in Big Ten away games advantage.

You know, yes, I am certain that before the game there were far more expressions of the site and the opponent as an advantage than there were, if any, complaints after the game about the same.

"Blaming an absolute embarrassing beat down loss on Gonzaga being 4 hours from home?" How can anyone consider the Iowa vs. Gonzaga game an "embarrassment"? We are not exactly Kentucky. We fought our tails off in the second half and pulled within eleven on several occasions. Sure we got beat, but by a top ten team shooting lights out! An embarrassment?

It would take another dimension, almost just like us but different enough to cause such a clearly bizarre post as the OP, wouldn't it?

That or he's just bat $%& crazy but if that were the case I don't think he would spell so well.

It was a home game. Ever since Seattle lost it's Sonics, people have moved to the college teams. Zags gained a whole lotta fans in Seattle the last few years. There were some U dub fans (season ticket holders offered seats) there but they cheered pretty loudly for the Zags it seemed to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT