ADVERTISEMENT

Good article about Brian Ferentz

cb_Iowa

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2016
https://www.landof10.com/iowa/2017-...f10_Iowa&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

"2017 NFL Combine: Did Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien try to hire Iowa’s Brian Ferentz? Here’s you answer"

“I tried to hire him at Penn State,” O’Brien said Wednesday at the 2017 NFL Combine. “His dad (Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz) wasn’t letting anybody hire him away. I tried to hire him early on in Houston. Very, very smart. Very competitive. A hard-working guy, really good staff guy. Understands his role. Really helped me a lot at New England in a lot of different ways.”

A lot more too.

Last edited:
That sounds good, hope he proves to be a major improvement over our last OC.

Eh, what would he know? Everyone knows why Brian got the job... total nepotism at work... Brian's not the worth extra soft charmin he wipes his butt with. Kirk's legacy at iowa isn't going to be multiple national coach of the year awards, undefeated Big10 seasons, top 5 finishes, nfl draft picks, etc... its going to be how he brought down the program from the inside with safe and boring hires, how he conned the hawkeye faithful into giving millions of dollars for useless projects like a new indoor facility, major kinnick stadium upgrades, etc...all while stealing from the Iowa tax-payers as the state's highest paid employee.

Sarcastic rant done.

Thanks for the link, it confirms what many of us already thought.

Well the interesting think is that he said it out loud, people love to pooh-pooh things away like they didn't happen. This is hard to close your eyes...some still will.

Reactions: cap_tain8
Eh, what would he know? Everyone knows why Brian got the job... total nepotism at work... Brian's not the worth extra soft charmin he wipes his butt with. Kirk's legacy at iowa isn't going to be multiple national coach of the year awards, undefeated Big10 seasons, top 5 finishes, nfl draft picks, etc... its going to be how he brought down the program from the inside with safe and boring hires, how he conned the hawkeye faithful into giving millions of dollars for useless projects like a new indoor facility, major kinnick stadium upgrades, etc...all while stealing from the Iowa tax-payers as the state's highest paid employee.

Sarcastic rant done.

Thanks for the link, it confirms what many of us already KNEW.

FIFY

Sarcastic rant done.

And the farmers in southern Iowa would say you have about as much sense as a cow standing in the middle of a dry pond in July looking for a drink. You don't have blonde hair color do you? Just kidding..........................

Sarcastic rant done.

Ok, but what do you really think......;)

Reactions: KFsdisciple
https://www.landof10.com/iowa/.WLgsp2iVBh8.twitter

A hard-working guy, really good staff guy. Understands his role. Really helped me a lot at New England in a lot of different ways..

I don't know how Brian will pan out. A critical review of his statements make it sound like he is really good as a position coach. How would you interpret "really good staff guy" and the most important one, "understands his role". Nothing in his statement said he would be a good offensive coordinator. I don't think his detractors think he is a bad coach, they just aren't sure he is best for offensive coordinator.

I don't know how Brian will pan out. A critical review of his statements make it sound like he is really good as a position coach. How would you interpret "really good staff guy" and the most important one, "understands his role". Nothing in his statement said he would be a good offensive coordinator. I don't think his detractors think he is a bad coach, they just aren't sure he is best for offensive coordinator.
Most of his detractors just don't like KF and his family, otherwise there isn't much not to like about BF, besides no OC experience, but he does have experience across the offense.

I think Brian will do a good job coaching the offense ... He is surrounded by experienced coaches ... And Brian himself has been around some great coaches. He's young. But I think the foundation is there. I will be the first to admit I was not thrilled with the OC appointment ... but over time, I've come to firmly believe this will be a great hire.

Break down the essential ingredients and consider their implications:
  • Your original inference is right-on ... the assertion that he is a really good position coach. Without delving into the specific position - this immediately tells us that he's presumably very good at communicating with the players he works with AND that he might be a pretty decent teacher (at least insofar as conveying to his players their role within the game-plan for the given week).
  • If we decide to annotate our data set for a moment - it's worthwhile noting that we additionally have three complementary pieces of information - firstly Brian is a coach's kid, secondly he played center on the OL, and lastly O'Brien describes him as a really smart guy. The point to be gleaned here is that Brian is a guy who clearly is both cerebral AND who had a really good understanding of the game.
  • If we return to the initial point - that he is a really good position coach - it's worthwhile delving into the fact that he was very good at working with the TEs. It would make sense that a former center would be good at teaching TEs about blocking. However, given how central TEs are and were to New England's passing game - this tells us that Brian must have been good at teaching about something that goes beyond his own personal experience. He was able to tap into his broader understanding of the game - and also teach about reading coverages of the D, adapting [TE] routes accordingly, and things of that nature.
  • How about the comments about Brian being a good "staff guy" and about "knowing his role" ... that speaks about his capacity of working in a team environment. This says that he was a good colleague ... that he worked well as a member of the coaching team. It suggests that while he was a harder worker - he didn't act entitled, he didn't overstep in his responsibilities (that can lead to conflict between staff-members), and he was presumably well-liked. Those are critical intangibles - both for a subordinate AND for a leader. For example, Kirk is very well know for giving his staff members A LOT of autonomy. Apart from imposing his football philosophy on the program - he doesn't micromanage (which is a form of overstepping).
  • He also broke down tape and consulted for the Patriots. That speaks to his ability to break down the game. It also speaks to his work-ethic. It is possible to know fundamentals and be a good teacher - but that doesn't imply that you necessarily have a deep understanding of schemes and strategy. Thus, this role he had for the Patriots also speaks to his understanding of scheme and strategy.
  • Then look what he's done at Iowa. He coached the OL ... which at Iowa is a significant responsibility. Furthermore, he was the run-game coordinator ... which involves drawing inferences about how you think your opponent will defend you ... and then tweak your schemes accordingly in an attempt give yourself some advantages. Furthermore, his role as run-game coordinator caused him to work closely with White and the RBs ... so that all those involved with the running game would be on the same page. Of course, he ultimately reported to Greg and Kirk ... so he had to make sure that his ideas about the running game would complement the passing game (and so Greg could make sure that the QBs understood how things fit together).
Consider the aforementioned observations. How does it NOT translate to being an OC?

Reactions: ichawk24
Interestingly, considering how Coach Reid tried to lure Seth Wallace out with him to BC ... that suggests to me that Seth is another one of those guys whose career trajectory is trending up. He's originally a Phil Parker protégé with the DBs. He ends up being a DC at Valdosta State ... where he started off working with the secondary ... and then ended things working with the DL while taking care of his DC responsibilities.

Then, back at Iowa, he started off as the recruiting coordinator while working with the secondary. Now he works with the LBs.

Contrary to what others may think - I could easily see Phil Parker being the successor to Kirk as the head coach (if he so chose). If that were to be the case, I would see Wallace take over the helm as DC ... and likely jointly work with the secondary (much like Phil does today).

We call it this actually.

lol_pepsi.gif

Actually, many of his "detractors" have said he's not a good coach and that he only keeps his job because of his dad. It sounds like Obrein would be only to happy to grab him up in a heart beat. Kind of shoots holes in those detractors doesn't it?

Break down the essential ingredients and consider their implications:Consider the aforementioned observations. How does it NOT translate to being an OC?

Wow you got a lot out of that guys statement. I will simply respond with Greg Davis. The guy was a national championship offensive coordinator. He was certainly qualified. Time will tell if the BF hire is a good choice. As I said, he is a good coach. Some of us wish that we would have gone in a different direction.

Wow you got a lot out of that guys statement. I will simply respond with Greg Davis. The guy was a national championship offensive coordinator. He was certainly qualified. Time will tell if the BF hire is a good choice. As I said, he is a good coach. Some of us wish that we would have gone in a different direction.
Greg Davis certainly had a good resume. Philbin wouldn't have vouched for him to Kirk if that wasn't the case. As I've written elsewhere, I was actually pretty impressed with the development of Iowa's QBs with Greg at the helm.

However, that said, there are still a few key factors that counted against Greg at Iowa:
  • The evolution of Greg's offensive philosophy had led to value getting fast/quick playmakers out into space. The problem is that most of the fast/quick guys whom Iowa had successfully recruited couldn't break the depth chart. Thus, the talent that WAS executing didn't seem to fit Greg's scheme.
  • I'm not certain who it was more attributable to - Greg or Kennedy - but having a 5 WR rotation on an O that may not even get 60 snaps is not conducive to WR development. This point is interesting ... because it potentially undermines the prior point. Did the schemes not fit the players? ... or was the player development at WR so slow that they simply weren't executing well enough to fit the scheme?
  • Neither Greg or Kennedy had been on "developmental" programs before - so maybe their approach to teaching is more conducive to plug-and-play talent? I'm not really an advocate for this point ... but other fans have bandied about this point, so I thought that I'd share it.
  • Obviously, given Iowa's relative strengths with the running game - it would have helped the team more to challenge opposing defenses more over the middle and perhaps to stretch them vertically as well.
That said, there were plenty of elements that Greg implemented that were good fits with Iowa. He called a great screen-game (particularly to the RBs) ... and the quick pre-snap read passes to WRs on the edges when the DBs are playing off them was a nice addition too.

The good news is that Brian and Kirk will be able to retain what worked - chop what didn't - and then integrate ideas from O'Keefe and Polasek into the O too.

Herein is the nice feature of the offensive-staff hires ... both Ken and Tim are former OCs. Consequently, their experience, both in terms of schemes and calling games will be valuable to Brian. Furthermore, the fact that Polasek and Copeland are both former QBs ... and they are in the offensive room with Brian ... their experiences as QBs may also influence Brian. That's one of the great things about how Kirk runs things with his staff - it tends to be a very stimulating environment where everybody shares ideas freely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT