ADVERTISEMENT

Good write up about JRent addition

Cool write up. I wonder if DeSanto and JRent will both keep their redshirt until after Midlands to give TnT more time to decide on the starter.

Reactions: andegre
Cool write up. I wonder if DeSanto and JRent will both keep their redshirt until after Midlands to give TnT more time to decide on the starter.
Interesting thought. That would leave the early part of the year to Stickley and Glynn to fight out, right?

Butthurt is strong with Fran
giphy.gif

I have no insight, but think this may be decided early. Both were thrown into wrestling their true freshman years and both had "immaturity" issues late in the year. One of these guys may want a RS year to adjust to a new school, college life demands and the grind that is college wrestling. If both want to wrestle and one is better than the other, I think the decision is made earlier. I hope both don't have to wrestle at JV opens until Midlands to decide it.

I have no insight, but think this may be decided early. Both were thrown into wrestling their true freshman years and both had "immaturity" issues late in the year. One of these guys may want a RS year to adjust to a new school, college life demands and the grind that is college wrestling. If both want to wrestle and one is better than the other, I think the decision is made earlier. I hope both don't have to wrestle at JV opens until Midlands to decide it.

One of the things I’m most excited about for next season is the Midlands. It’s always cool to see Iowa filling up brackets with Hawk wrestlers. Next year we’ve got a whole bunch of exciting new Hawks to look out for with Cashman, JRent, DeSanto, Lugo, JWar, Murin (new starters), Big Cass, plus guys competing at new weights Kemdawg, $ and Kaleb Young. Watching these guys compete against each other is exciting as well. The Midlands session threads on HR are going to break the internet! I nominate Valhalla for PBP.

Go Hawks!!!!!!

Glynn is not decent....he was atrocious last year.

#neverforget133in2018

Dagboi, I like the vast majority of your posts, but this was probably unnecessary. Glynn was not a highly nationally ranked guy out of HS. He has improved a lot. Granted Glynn is not an average or above average starter for Iowa. He knows this and probably came to Iowa knowing he was going to be a "room guy" - but a member contributing to the best wrestling program in the country. He was thrown into the starting line up because we didn't have a DeSanto or Renteria in the lineup. He worked hard and gave it his all. Calling him atrocious is not really appropriate. If Lee put up Glynn numbers, you could probably say his results were atrocious. Glynn putting up Glynn stats are expected. Give the guy a break. It isn't his fault he doesn't have the God-given talents of Spencer. He is doing the most he can with what he has. I have seen nothing but great effort out of him.

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now (and no, I am not Paul's father).

Dagboi, I like the vast majority of your posts, but this was probably unnecessary. Glynn was not a highly nationally ranked guy out of HS. He has improved a lot. Granted Glynn is not an average or above average starter for Iowa. He knows this and probably came to Iowa knowing he was going to be a "room guy" - but a member contributing to the best wrestling program in the country. He was thrown into the starting line up because we didn't have a DeSanto or Renteria in the lineup. He worked hard and gave it his all. Calling him atrocious is not really appropriate. If Lee put up Glynn numbers, you could probably say his results were atrocious. Glynn putting up Glynn stats are expected. Give the guy a break. It isn't his fault he doesn't have the God-given talents of Spencer. He is doing the most he can with what he has. I have seen nothing but great effort out of him.

Agreed.

But I can also see from Dagboi's perspective it's hard to ignore some of Northwesterndeadcat's outrageous statements sometimes.

(actually that'd make for a very fun thread - someone aggregate all of his crazy statements)

@Wrestlerneverdiesasacatfan Nothing against you. You're a funny guy to have around. I enjoy reading some of your posts.

Reactions: KennyPowers8

I agree with this. Paul seems like a good kid and I never saw any lack of hustle or effort out of him. I can't imagine the kind of pressure he felt everyday trying to live up to the lightweight Hawkeye standard. This goes for Stick as well. While it was certainly frustrating to watch them struggle, they're 10 times the wrestler I ever was, so who am I to get on them. More frustrating than a kid struggling against other kids that are just better than him, is seeing kids who lack heart/mental toughness or commitment to the program. Glynn certainly wasn't the latter. All that said, this program is built on a tradition of winning and not qualifying a weight class for the national tournament is unacceptable. With depth of this roster going forward, I don't foresee this problem reoccurring.

Glynn was never a state champion and got 4th or 5h his senior year. He beat Laux out last year and it wasn't easy for him to maintain 133. I loved it last year when he came back to beat Simmons in he ISU dual. He's a good man and a great teammmate!

One of the things I’m most excited about for next season is the Midlands. It’s always cool to see Iowa filling up brackets with Hawk wrestlers. Next year we’ve got a whole bunch of exciting new Hawks to look out for with Cashman, JRent, DeSanto, Lugo, JWar, Murin (new starters), Big Cass, plus guys competing at new weights Kemdawg, $ and Kaleb Young. Watching these guys compete against each other is exciting as well. The Midlands session threads on HR are going to break the internet! I nominate Valhalla for PBP.

Go Hawks!!!!!!
It might be as good as that time Vall went to the Luther Open and did PBP of Clark/Gilman at 125 as true frosh and Mike Kelly riding out UIU's Edwin Cooper before they were teammates.
doctorstrange_40_anim.gif

This should really be a HR retreat or outing.
I think Luther grads Vall, LutherAce, and WWDM need to make a pilgrimage to a Luther Open before we all kick the bucket. Items on the itinerary:
  • First-class wrestling action
  • Mabe's
  • Whippy Dip (heard rumors it was closing -- say it ain't so)
  • A beer at a downtown dive bar
  • Dunning Spring for a selfie to prove to our wives that we appreciate nature and are behaving ourselves
  • A stroll around campus in search of any professors who might have been on faculty when we were students (quite the stretch in my case)
You in, gents?

I think Luther grads Vall, LutherAce, and WWDM need to make a pilgrimage to a Luther Open before we all kick the bucket. Items on the itinerary:
  • Mabe's
  • Dunning Spring for a selfie to prove to our wives that we appreciate nature and are behaving ourselves
  • A stroll around campus in search of any professors who might have been on faculty when we were students (quite the stretch in my case)
You in, gents?
Love me some Mabes! Used to be one in Spencer a long time ago. Have to get there some day for sure.

• Mabe's
You in, gents?

Mabes in Cresco closed before Christmas. Decorah is still doing well. My wife's cousin owns the Corner Bar. I do like Pulpit Rock over Toppling Goliath...nothing of Whippy closing that i know of. Campus has changed a ton since i was there 14 yrs ago...can't imagine anything is the same since you relics went there! ;)

Mabes in Cresco closed before Christmas. Decorah is still doing well. My wife's cousin owns the Corner Bar. I do like Pulpit Rock over Toppling Goliath...nothing of Whippy closing that i know of. Campus has changed a ton since i was there 14 yrs ago...can't imagine anything is the same since you relics went there! ;)
Add the Corner Bar and Pulpit Rock to the itinerary. See you there!

Whippy dip better not be closing. We're headed there for 10-11 days starting next weekend, and it is on the daily schedule at some time or another. Mabes probably once or twice.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Whippy dip better not be closing. We're headed there for 10-11 days starting next weekend, and it is on the daily schedule at some time or another. Mabes probably once or twice.
Don’t remember where I got that impression, but I’m glad it’s not the case. Don’t want to be spreading misinformation— especially about such a delicate and important subject!;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT