ADVERTISEMENT

Gophers debt load going to $290 Million. (Along with other big spenders)

These are the kinds of articles that need to be remembered when discussing whether or not to pay student athletes.

After watching the injury to Nick Chubb, I definitely believe these athletes should get some sort of compensation.

Would you be willing to sacrifice your future for a free education? I'm not just saying an ACL, I'm talking future unknowns.

What future? You mean that one that 99 percent of players will experience, where they have to find a job and work for 40 years? Yeah seems like a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

Would you be willing to sacrifice your future for a free education? I'm not just saying an ACL, I'm talking future unknowns.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but isn't every football player who gets a D1 scholarship potentially sacrificing their "future" for a "free education"? Or in reality they are playing a high stakes lottery with pretty decent odds. If they become a star then they hit the big money and are taken care of for life.

Heck I sacrificed my body for football when I was in high school and I didn't get anything from it. I will admit that hs football is not near as violent as college, however, tell that to my shoulder and knee that got jacked up and still cause me problems to this day. Point is that I chose to play football in high school. If I was good enough I would have played football in college. I would have played football in college just for the possibility of making millions in the nfl. The free schooling would just have been a bonus.

So Minnesota went ahead and broke ground? I wonder how this will impact their recruiting. They seem to have done a better job of keeping more of their in-state kids this season. I wonder if that will be a continuing thing for them. The state of Minnesota has quite a few athletes come out of there each year and Iowa has benefited pretty well from that over the years

Lot of schools I didn't expect to see in that top 10. Texas, Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Oregon.

Oregon! I guess Phil Knight's generosity does indeed have bounds.

I could be wrong, but last time I checked participation in sports at any level, including college football, is voluntary. You don't like the risks, don't play. If you decide to play and accept a scholarship, you know what the deal is. It's not too complicated.

So Minnesota went ahead and broke ground? I wonder how this will impact their recruiting. They seem to have done a better job of keeping more of their in-state kids this season. I wonder if that will be a continuing thing for them. The state of Minnesota has quite a few athletes come out of there each year and Iowa has benefited pretty well from that over the years
At the current pace... those top flite Minnesota kids are going to be looking for an out of State school kind of soon. The wheels are coming off that bus real fast. Kill has hit a very rough patch and the fact that Minny will be having a new AD real soon might be putting his job in question. There is a lot of criticism about pulling the "shirt off a freshman and sticking with the older qb.

Living close to the border... I love seeing anything bad about that State and program.

I could be wrong, but last time I checked participation in sports at any level, including college football, is voluntary. You don't like the risks, don't play. If you decide to play and accept a scholarship, you know what the deal is. It's not too complicated.
Actually, it is more complicated. The players can't collectively bargain, while the NCAA does. Lots of fat cats in coaching, the AD, conferences and ESPN making millions of dollars off of kids who aren't allowed to negotiate a salary. Sounds unamerican to me. Definitely not the free market.

At the current pace... those top flite Minnesota kids are going to be looking for an out of State school kind of soon. The wheels are coming off that bus real fast. Kill has hit a very rough patch and the fact that Minny will be having a new AD real soon might be putting his job in question. There is a lot of criticism about pulling the "shirt off a freshman and sticking with the older qb.

Living close to the border... I love seeing anything bad about that State and program.
I don't think he is going anywhere. The right people support him and they know he is a great fit for them. I believe they are a qb and a couple players from turning the corner. Doesn't have to be a great qb either. Just accurate

Let's see, a football player has the chance to play for Minnesota, get a free education (worth $100,000 ) w the slight possibility to play Sundays vs go into the job mky ouy of hs, unless mom & dad have money) or use the degree to get the job w a future earnings 5 - 10 times the hs grad, this kid also needs a cash bonus? Don't think so.

For every full ride scholarship athlete who "sacrifices their future" for a free education by taking a full ride scholarship there is another one who "sacrifices their future" by signing up to serve our country for a modestly subsidized education. I appreciate them, have total respect for the men and women who serve this country and understand the critical role they play in our lives. My point is that it's important that we keep things in perspective when we start throwing around words like sacrifice. This bears the markings of the purest essence of Nile Kinnick's Heisman acceptance speech. Amidst the greater collective of college football fans, we in particular are inherently obtuse if we lose sight of this.

For every full ride scholarship athlete who "sacrifices their future" for a free education by taking a full ride scholarship there is another one who "sacrifices their future" by signing up to serve our country for a modestly subsidized education. I appreciate them, have total respect for the men and women who serve this country and understand the critical role they play in our lives. My point is that it's important that we keep things in perspective when we start throwing around words like sacrifice. This bears the markings of the purest essence of Nile Kinnick's Heisman acceptance speech. Amidst the greater collective of college football fans, we in particular are inherently obtuse if we lose sight of this.

Well said. Americans have lost all perspective in the world. It's the same philosophy I have when it comes to peoples attitudes about paying for tickets. People will spend large amounts of money on sporting events whether it be parties, gambling, tickets, etc. Yet, they complain about paying a 20 dollar copay to their doctor who is trying to keep them alive.

Profit sharing? Might want to research that one. Revenue sharing would be better as few programs make a profit.

After watching the injury to Nick Chubb, I definitely believe these athletes should get some sort of compensation.
Did you have any kids go to college?Trust me the burden of paying off college loans is something they wont have to deal with.

Um no, a business' debt load isn't taken into account when determining if it needs to pay its employees

Well, maybe not "if" (there are no employees if they are not paid), but certainly "how much". The business's debt load (and payments thereof) are expenses that detract from what the business can pay its employees.

A good friend of mine worked in a pulp mill and got pulled into one of the machines that pounded logs. Needless to say, he died. His compensation was sufficiently low that I can say with confidence that he was living below the poverty line. Obviously, his job was every bit as dangerous as what these "apprentice" football players face. I fail to see why these players "deserve" appreciably more.

Well, maybe not "if" (there are no employees if they are not paid), but certainly "how much". The business's debt load (and payments thereof) are expenses that detract from what the business can pay its employees.

Does that debt load have anything to do with cash flow and having the ability to pay their employees?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT