ADVERTISEMENT

Catch-22s for ISU? Debt load, revenue gaps, NIL and recruiting

To clarify, being very narrow in the raw numbers that you use is a form of commentary. When there is an entire wealth of data available and you cling to a single set of data? That does say something.
I have explained why I haven't processed all the historical data - yet. I've never hidden that fact. But you don't care about that. You'd rather continue to criticize me. Right now I have more interest in figuring out why the budget reports differ from those submitted to the NCAA and to the Regents.

Psyclone claimed iowa city was “infested with drugs” and the streets aren’t safe because someone discharged a weapon downtown this year, no one injured or arrested. I was responding to his ridiculous post. Ames had at least one recent drug related shooting and attempted murder and arrest in the last year. Doesn’t mean Ames is “infested” either. Let’s get real.

FB programs are at universities and in cities. All affect recruiting and general success of the program. So they are related.
I have spent a lot of time in downtown Iowa City. Most of it many years ago. It was a great place and more fun that a person should be allowed to have. Back then there was nothing much worse on the streets than overserved college kids. Maybe an occasional fight. But generally a guy minding his own business never felt threatened.

My more recent late night experience of downtown was in stark contrast to the fun place it used to be when I was a student. I related that experience. Maybe it was just a bad night. The recent video of the shooter could have been just another bad night. It certainly was out of character from the way it used to be.

These were my personal experiences. They are real to me. Other's may have completely different experiences. But why are we even wasting time on this topic anyway? You're not going to change what I've experienced and you don't believe it anyway.

Last edited:
I have explained why I haven't processed all the historical data - yet. I've never hidden that fact. But you don't care about that. You'd rather continue to criticize me. Right now I have more interest in figuring out why the budget reports differ from those submitted to the NCAA and to the Regents.
You have explained it. I am surprised that you were able to analyze the regents report and the ncaa information while not being able to review the small snippets of viewer information that has been presented with links. It’s a very selective choice on your part.

Who said I was trying to be even handed? Nobody posting here is trying to be even handed. I am not Lone CyHawk
Then why point out that the crime rates are worse in Ames? Seems like an attempt to be even handed…. Sorry, present just facts

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Psyclone just wanted to discuss the numbers/budget/revenues/debt, yet, somehow was able to conclude that Iowa City is not safe and a bad campus.

All is some effort to prove Iowa State is....

Martelle, in South East rural iowa, is evidently super dangerous too.

we’ve gotta clean up these gravel streets in small town Iowa, by golly!

It’s controlled by liberals as is the entire county.
Yep. That’s it. And deadly gun battles in rural Martelle are also the “liberals” fault. All that meth? All those opioids?

the cities are where the research is, where the talent flocks, they drive the economy and fund the rural population.

but cities also attract parasites like those who run Wall Street. So there’s that.

blue states pretty much fund the red states, and blue counties fund the red counties.

plenty of publicly available data to prove this.

FedAidtoStates_hi-res.png

You have explained it. I am surprised that you were able to analyze the regents report and the ncaa information while not being able to review the small snippets of viewer information that has been presented with links. It’s a very selective choice on your part.
I like to be thorough in my analysis and not just eyeball numbers to pick out the one's that support a view. You mock my pivot tables, but a good pivot table summarizes data in a way that just can't be done by eyeballing a list. Plus you can look at the data in many different ways, relatively easily if the data table is structured right (which takes work) and uses consistent names for schools and other data.

I like to be thorough in my analysis and not just eyeball numbers to pick out the one's that support a view. You mock my pivot tables, but a good pivot table summarizes data in a way that just can't be done by eyeballing a list. Plus you can look at the data in many different ways, relatively easily if the data table is structured right (which takes work) and uses consistent names for schools and other data.
Lol… yet you can determine that downtown Iowa City has magically changed based on your limited experiences. No allowance for a change in your perspective. I will continue to mock your reliance on your beloved pivot table when you were quick to throw out the regents budget without putting it through the dreaded ‘pivot table’ standard. Keep being you. It makes it easy to point out your hypocrisy.

Yep. It’s pretty pathetic the straws ISU posters are now grasping at. All I have to say is, we’re Iowa. We’re in the B1G. We’re rich as hell. And no soup for ISU!
This is kind of how I feel. For instance, if isu happens to beat Iowa on Sept 11th, Hawkeye fans will still have the satisfaction that long-term...isu will eventually be relegated to a non power 5 conference.

Who said I was trying to be even handed? Nobody posting here is trying to be even handed. I am not Lone CyHawk
You’re becoming (or have become) a cynical old man. Too bad...there’s more to life than football. Don’t worry, isu will eventually be in a lower-tier conference, so you and other clone fans can turn your attention to something more worthwhile.

Such a busy man, with an “important” task in front of you.

Several good ones on the list. Personally I think Exile is too high. Couple of others in the DSM area I like more. But I’ve really gotten into Hazy IPAs and I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
I drink alot of craft beer and I don't but any exile.

Reactions: Legs94
Yep. That’s it. And deadly gun battles in rural Martelle are also the “liberals” fault. All that meth? All those opioids?

the cities are where the research is, where the talent flocks, they drive the economy and fund the rural population.

but cities also attract parasites like those who run Wall Street. So there’s that.

blue states pretty much fund the red states, and blue counties fund the red counties.

The Martelle dude did not have a gun by the way.

Right now I have more interest in figuring out why the budget reports differ from those submitted to the NCAA and to the Regents.
I have tried without success to resolve the differences in the financial reports to the Regents with those submitted to the NCAA. There are just too many differences in the line-items to sort out what is included in the NCAA report that is not included in the regents report. To recap for FY2019, the latest year with both reports available for both schools, Iowa reported nearly $30 million dollars more in revenue to the NCAA than was shown in the Regents reports. The difference for Iowa State was a little over $5 million.

I thought a detailed examination of the reports would identify one or two line-items that would account for the difference, but the reports are so different I couldn't do it for either school. I speculated that it had something to do with the way contributions are reported, but I couldn't validate that.

As an example the NCAA report has ticket sales, where the regents report has income by sport. For Iowa, the regents report of income by sport is slightly higher than ticket sales. That makes sense that the broader category could include more than just ticket sales, like programs, parking fees and concession sales. Those are listed in a separate line-item in the NCAA report, but just adding the two together exceeds what is in the regents report. So maybe only part of that is included in the by sport income and the rest is included somewhere else. It becomes impossible to tie off.

For Iowa State the ticket sales in the NCAA report perfectly match the income by sport reported to the regents. The programs, parking fees and concession sales from the NCAA report are listed separately as auxiliary revenue on the ISU regents report. Or at least the dollar figure matches. Those line-items were some of the only ones I could match up.

Last edited:
Such a busy man, with an “important” task in front of you.
We need more viewer/attendance/revenue breakdowns on how valuable Iowa State is to the Big 10. Amazing that the Big 10 didn't lock down Iowa State after all that pivot table information presented

We need more viewer/attendance/revenue breakdowns on how valuable Iowa State is to the Big 10. Amazing that the Big 10 didn't lock down Iowa State after all that pivot table information presented
I realize this is all common knowledge, but it is worth laying out all likely scenarios.

It’s a long game between all the major conferences for ISUs hand in membership. The only question that remains is whether one conference secures their behemoth brand, or if ISU is forced to breakup into several smaller, but very vicious and formidable brands to be divided between all major conferences.

Of course, we cannot rule out the true fear of college athletics, and I quiver in fear at the thought. ISU could elect to become their own independent conference. They would play themselves for each respective season’s national title(in all sports.)

Reactions: MikeyHawk

You dance better than a politician. All while trying to explain away things that are beyond obvious.

1. ISU is going to lose a ton of annual athletics money in the future
2. ISU will soon be out of a power conference.

These are facts.

I have tried without success to resolve the differences in the financial reports to the Regents with those submitted to the NCAA. There are just too many differences in the line-items to sort out what is included in the NCAA report that is not included in the regents report. To recap for FY2019, the latest year with both reports available for both schools, Iowa reported nearly $30 million dollars more in revenue to the NCAA than was shown in the NCAA reports. The difference for Iowa State was a little over $5 million.

I thought a detailed examination of the reports would identify one or two line-items that would account for the difference, but the reports are so different I couldn't do it for either school. I speculated that it had something to do with the way contributions are reported, but I couldn't validate that.

As an example the NCAA report has ticket sales, where the regents report has income by sport. For Iowa, the regents report of income by sport is slightly higher than ticket sales. That makes sense that the broader category could include more than just ticket sales, like programs, parking fees and concession sales. Those are listed in a separate line-item in the NCAA report, but just adding the two together exceeds what is in the regents report. So maybe only part of that is included in the by sport income and the rest is included somewhere else. It becomes impossible to tie off.

For Iowa State the ticket sales in the NCAA report perfectly match the income by sport reported to the regents. The programs, parking fees and concession sales from the NCAA report are listed separately as auxiliary revenue on the ISU regents report. Or at least the dollar figure matches. Those line-items were some of the only ones I could match up.
Donations to ALL iowa departments, programs, and athletics are given THROUGH THE UI FOUNDATION, which is a separate 501c3, with separate governance. That’s why numbers reported to the Regents are different for Iowa.

ISU does things differently as their foundation isn’t a separate nonprofit.

I provided links to prove all the above, and all the below numbers days ago. All widely reported numbers
What’s so hard to understand?

the numbers provided to the ncaa are real.

Yes, Iowa is 15th IN THE NATION IN FB REVENUES based on NCAA data which are publicly available. Iowa is among the five leaders of the 14 members of the best conference in the country. Iowas revenues exceed schools like Clemson, USC, Florida State, Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Arkansas, among many others.

Your spreadsheet is as confused as a Q drop.

do you ignore facts and context as a profession? Why be a hack fanatic of a middling school and program in a forgettable town? I can’t imagine spending hours and hours posting on another team’s message board, making unsubstantiated claim after unsubstantiated claim.

can we please just have an honest, objective discussion?

the key numbers - all publicly available and widely reported: iowa completed over $160 MILLION in athletic facility upgrades in recent years (I forgot to add the new $3M women’s soccer clubhouse and stands, and the new $10M Nagle golf facility in earlier posts, both of which were funded 100% with donations). Iowa only had to borrow $30M on all that $160M, the rest from regular revenue and tens of millions in donations.

isu borrowed $60M to fund $80M in athletic faculty upgrades.

Iowa’s debt to revenue ratio on those upgrades is about 18%

ISU’s is 75%

Seventy five percent indicates living far, far beyond one’s means. all that was borrowed when the b12 had Texas and OU relevance and revenue. That’s so gone now.

Iowa is in the B10, the nation’s strongest conference combining revenue and value and academics

ISU is in, well, I don’t even know what to call that mishmash of a middling conference filled with leftovers and revenue-challenged programs going forward.

No one needs pivot tables to see that stark reality, the night and day differences in value, support, academic reputation and impact, and long term viability between the programs and institutions.

Q.E.D.

Last edited:
Per the same WSJ table:

iowa’s revenues are over $100M.

ISU revenues are $48M - (well behind even Indiana at $61m)

ISU and the other leftovers from the B12 had revenues inflated by Texas and OU, so those numbers will drop to be on par with its newest “salty” little members:

Texas plus OU revenues - $290M

cinci’s revenues - $21M
BYU - $33m
UCF - $29M
Houston - $23M

Iowa’s annual FB revenues are on par with the combined revenues of all four new L12 members. And will doubtless exceed them when the new TV contract with the B10 is signed next year.

Put that in your spreadsheet, Psyclone.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Per the same WSJ table:

ISU and the other leftovers from the B12 had revenues inflated by Texas and OU, so those numbers will drop to be on par with its newest “salty” little members:

cinci’s revenues - $21M
BYU - $33m
UCF - $29M
Houston - $23M

Iowa’s annual FB revenues are on par with the combined revenues of all four new L12 members. And will doubtless exceed them when the new TV contract with the B10 is signed next year.

Clownfanatic thinks they will remain a power 5 conference. Let me get this straight, add 4 G5 teams to keep p5 status? So the BIG 12 is replacing 290 Million with 100 million AND diluting the pool by adding low value members? If any TV deal comes out of this ISU is looking at making mid-major type money. They are Farked. Now we will hear those dorks talk about how superior the craphole conference is to the BIG 10

Donations to ALL iowa departments, programs, and athletics are given THROUGH THE UI FOUNDATION, which is a separate 501c3, with separate governance. That’s why numbers reported to the Regents are different for Iowa.
The 2019 Regents reports for Iowa athletics show revenue of over $15 million for "Foundation Support" and over $8 million for "Foundation Premium Seat Revenue". The reports to the NCAA show over $35 million in contributions.

This is not anything to pick a fight with me over. It's simply what is in these reports. Unfortunately the way revenues are accounted for differently in the two reports and the fact there isn't any more details behind the numbers, makes it impossible to correlate one with the other. The same difficulty exist with the ISU reports.

I don't have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal so I can't read your links, but why would I use that as a source when I have the actual reports to the NCAA, which I presume they used in their story?

Last edited:
The 2019 Regents reports for Iowa athletics show revenue of over $15 million for "Foundation Support" and over $8 million for "Foundation Premium Seat Revenue". The repots to the NCAA show over $35 million in contributions.

This is not anything to pick a fight with me over. It's simply what is in these reports. Unfortunately the way revenues are accounted for differently in the two reports and the fact there isn't any more details behind the numbers, makes it impossible to correlate one with the other. The same difficulty exist with the ISU reports.

I don't have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal so I can't read your links, but why would I use that as a source when I have the actual reports to the NCAA, which I presume they used in their story?
Ignoring the line items what are the totals?

Per the same WSJ table:

cinci’s revenues - $21M
BYU - $33m
UCF - $29M
Houston - $23M

Not just a spreadsheet but a pivot table that only sees 2020.

Not just a spreadsheet but a pivot table that only sees 2020.

Any cyclone fan who seems to make it their passion in life to deny reality, ignore obvious and publicly available facts, cherry pick time periods (like Iowas shortened Covid season, that lasted half as long as ISUs and missed a bowl game because its opponent forfeited due to a breakout), or cite or make up “personal experience” to “refute” reality, is not just deceptive and delusional, not just a troll, but a tool.

I mean that not as an insult, but literally, as an observation of what happens when someone makes himself a pawn, an instrument of his own naive hopes and delusions.

ISU is now in a conference that must replace almost $300 million in revenue from two terms with only $100 million from four new teams.

A much much smaller pie, divided up into more and smaller pieces.

And ISU has $60 million in bonds to pay on $80 million in stadium upgrades.

Those facts are ignored.

Wonder why?

Reality is real.

I just asked for an honest discussion and based on trends past and present, reputable reporting, and objectivity.

it’s frustrating that some people fear objective reality.

I have a feeling that reality is going to hit hard. And in a matter of days.

A press conference given by a B12 flimflam man who got dissed by the B10 and P12 and ACC, and had to settle for sixty-second and sixty-seventh best, etc., in terms of program revenue, to fill up a conference that no longer is big, and will mostly be ignored.

And the next day, in a stadium that is swimming in debt, there will be a young team that will come to town and show a group of super seniors what the future is going to be.

enjoy your last season with players who could be sold an opportunity to play in a major conference, against big time conferences opponents, and with an artificially inflated budget from a parasitic affiliation with Texas and OU.

it’s over.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
enjoy your last season with players who could be sold an opportunity to play in a major conference, against big time conferences opponents, and with an artificially inflated budget from a parasitic affiliation with Texas and OU.

it’s over.
Rumors are already swimming about some cyclone prospects considering moving on from ISU. For 2 reasons. #1 Is the fact that Matt Campbell won't stick around to coach in such a crappy conference. #2 They themselves don't want to play in a crappy conference.
Iowa State's only hope was to be invited to the BIG. Every other option ruins any chances they have at growing their program. Those dorks on cyclone fanatic are talking about how important stadium size is for their new conference. They simply don't get it. We are entering into a new era of college football in the State of Iowa and Iowa will be the only big-time program in Iowa. Over time all of the good recruits in our state will end up in Iowa City. I say starting in about 2 years. Next year's Iowa State team is going to be horrible.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
This windfall is speculative, and would be decided in the courts. As I've read, they are talking payouts per school for something like $50M, but obviously could be more, but probably ends up being less. Promises to be a drawn-out legal battle, I'd guess, so no one should be counting on this money anytime soon. I just found it incredibly optimistic, let's just say, that many Clone fans and even "journalists" were waving that number around as if it's cash in hand to attract B10 conference membership. Must have caused not a few chuckles among the power-brokers.

As with many things at big institutions, my sense is that ISU's Athletic Department mostly is and somewhat isn't financially responsible for Stevens. Here is a statement from the ISU President on the matter. The main university shoved Stevens over onto the AD for "management", and Pollard has videos and statements out there on fundraising for Stevens, so it seems that Pollard and his department are more budgetarily responsible for Stevens than ISU itself. One reason why Pollard was quoted a number of times in the last two years complaining about that responsibility.

I'd be surprised if any other athletic department in the B12, or any former P5 conference program, is responsible for an arts facility. Seems like a sign of desperation from ISU's administration. It means that Stevens is a major budget sink, and they don't have the funds even for overdue maintenance, much less a real upgrade.

Maybe Clone fans can clarify, but Stevens is far from self-sustaining. It needs huge repairs and upgrades. $20M for sure. And donors haven't stepped forward. And the pandemic will continue to hit it hard.

Iowa's new Hancher Auditorium is already iconic, has been featured in national media several times, including a hilarious Saturday Night Live skit (spelling bee), and will remain state of the art for years to come.

Most important: Hancher is not a drain on the UI or the athletic department.

The new Hancher opened five years ago and cost $176M.

I'm not sure ISU supporters, or the Iowa Legislature/Regents, can find that kind of cash.

It's just a circle-jerk of provincial people convincing each other that they're super amazing.

A very good reason to not watch award shows.

This is a sports forum. You seem to bring politics into everything, up to and including the time of day. Why here of all places? Do you have some obsession to unnecessarily and condescendingly attempt educate those that, despite your glaring myopic stereotypes, are "less enlightened" than you?

EDIT. I need to add that you bring a great deal of practical and relevant information to the table. Kudos.

Last edited:
This is a sports forum. You seem to bring politics into everything, up to and including the time of day. Why here of all places? Do you have some obsession to unnecessarily and condescendingly attempt educate those that, despite your glaring myopic stereotypes, are "less enlightened" than you?

EDIT. I need to add that you bring a great deal of practical and relevant information to the table. Kudos.
The stuff about guns people had to address in this thread because a Clone fan preposterously claim that Iowa City wasn’t safe. I have lived and worked around the country and on three continents, including living almost 6 years abroad, and I’ve never encountered a nicer, more highly educated, or safer place than Iowa City.

it’s long been the strategy of a few professional cyclone hacks to come on these forums and post under supposed Hawkeye names, as well as clone names, troll and sh*tpost, make up crap, etc.

The point of this thread is that the debate is over. Hawkeye State. Recruits are already recommitting from ISU and more will follow.

also another thread proves that the supposedly great programs joining the new little 12 - especially cinci - are drowning in debt. Cinci faces financial scandals for running up over $300M in debt over 13 years, overcharging students with mandatory fees to prop up the program, and forcing UC to divert money to athletics - while sharply cutting funds for instruction and research. Cinci’s program is unsustainable. Houston also has about $130M in debt and uses mandatory student fees to try to plug the gaps. All links in other thread.

we need to focus on this university and this team. No need to mock ISU because that’s just not even fair anymore. Radically Different leagues, budgets, talent levels, trends, and futures, and we’ve seen that proven on the field too.

Iowa State is doomed to be a mid-major in a shaky, crazy mish mash of a “conference” of leftovers and left outs.

parents and recruits see this clearly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT