ADVERTISEMENT

Catch-22s for ISU? Debt load, revenue gaps, NIL and recruiting

Iowa City metro area has a population of over 120,000 (a single metro area including coralville, north liberty, and tiffin). Ames is just over 60,000. So much more going on in IC area than in Ames. Iowa City brings in people for festivals that occur pretty much every weekend, and even during the week. Several thousand people were downtown last week Thursday for Taste of Iowa City. I was there. Gorgeous night. I've never - not once - felt unsafe in downtown IC, whether with little kids or alone, and at almost every hour day or night, or anywhere else in the city or metro area.
Imagine being so paranoid that you feel unsafe in Iowa freakin City. Do cyclone fans still hold their moms hand while they cross streets too? I can't imagine being that sheltered.

I would like an honest discussion too. Comments like this are not the path to achieving that. Regarding my posts on things like finances that have real numbers, I much prefer to find the reports that have the real numbers, rather than some article reporting those numbers. I think you probably prefer that too.

I don't expect you to accept my reporting of the numbers, just as you shouldn't expect me to accept yours. I try to avoid wrapping too much commentary around the raw numbers, when the numbers speak for themselves.

I do appreciate discovering things like differences between the NCAA and Board of Regents financial reports. I still hope to look at those reports in detail to find the discrepancies and see if they are what we think they are. But that effort got sidetracked when I found these latest reports on revenue bonds.
To clarify, being very narrow in the raw numbers that you use is a form of commentary. When there is an entire wealth of data available and you cling to a single set of data? That does say something.

Imagine being so paranoid that you feel unsafe in Iowa freakin City. Do cyclone fans still hold their moms hand while they cross streets too? I can't imagine being that sheltered.
Maybe the vibe is different late at night when it's not during the school year. It has nothing to do with being a Cyclone fan. I was there on business. And the video from about a month ago was chilling. I assume everybody has seen that. I hope they caught the shooter and lock him up. You need to get people like that off the streets. Lucky people didn't get killed.

Kidding aside, the overall crime rate is almost exactly the same in Iowa City and Ames. There has been concerned about the night scene at the Ped Mall for quite some time, though. And I'm not just talking about the over abundance of mimes.

....And here I am, contributing to a discussion completely unrelated to the subject of the thread, after I chastized others for doing the same thing. Effing hypocrite.

You really have one hell of a time sticking to a subject, don't you?
Psyclone claimed iowa city was “infested with drugs” and the streets aren’t safe because someone discharged a weapon downtown this year, no one injured or arrested. I was responding to his ridiculous post. Ames had at least one recent drug related shooting and attempted murder and arrest in the last year. Doesn’t mean Ames is “infested” either. Let’s get real.

FB programs are at universities and in cities. All affect recruiting and general success of the program. So they are related.

Psyclone claimed iowa city was “infested with drugs” and the streets aren’t safe because someone discharged a weapon downtown this year, no one injured or arrested. I was responding to his ridiculous post. Ames had at least one recent drug related shooting and attempted murder and arrest in the last year. Doesn’t mean Ames is “infested” either. Let’s get real.

FB programs are at universities and in cities. All affect recruiting and general success of the program. So they are related.
You appear to give my posts about crime the same attention you give to anything else that varies from your preconceptions. I link a story about a man being arrested for a shooting that wounded someone (although not mortally) and you respond by saying "no one injured or arrested."

And the things you cite as a reason for relevancy aren't on the subject of this thread....which you began.

But as I conceded, I also have been wandering the desert of different subject matter here. The thread devolved when it became clear we lacked the information to make intelligent comments on the subject.

Maybe the vibe is different late at night when it's not during the school year. It has nothing to do with being a Cyclone fan. I was there on business. And the video from about a month ago was chilling. I assume everybody has seen that. I hope they caught the shooter and lock him up. You need to get people like that off the streets. Lucky people didn't get killed.
This is just the latest.
How exactly does this particular crime committed by someone who lives in Cedar Rapids have anything to do with the main point?

want me to post articles about assaults and shootings and drugs in Ames?

please grow up clone fans.

You appear to give my posts about crime the same attention you give to anything else that varies from your preconceptions. I link a story about a man being arrested for a shooting that wounded someone (although not mortally) and you respond by saying "no one injured or arrested."

And the things you cite as a reason for relevancy aren't on the subject of this thread....which you began.

But as I conceded, I also have been wandering the desert of different subject matter here. The thread devolved when it became clear we lacked the information to make intelligent comments on the subject.
Untrue.

plenty of info. I’ve cited numerous articles about ISU revenues and debt, compared them with Iowa, and always ask when others give numbers that they provide links so we can be objective.

certain cyclone fans prefer trolling and spin and red herrings. Wonder why.

reality can’t be fun when you’re left on the outside going forward.

Scroll up and look at the article from the Quad cities TV station that links to a freedom of information act request from both Iowa and Iowa State, with all the documentation, showing that two years ago, Iowa athletics earned $7 million.

Iowa State earned $80,000.

For some reason though clone fans chose not to comment on that well cited and scrupulously reported set of facts. Why?

According to the Wall Street Journal reporting NCAA data, in 2019, iowa football Generated more revenue than a dozen big time and even elite programs, including the likes of Clemson, FSU, Oregon, USC, etc.

Why no comments on that? Instead, you link articles on a crime or two in the city this year? Seriously?

iowa completed over $150M in facility upgrades in recent years. Borrowed $30M to do it.

ISU completed $80M. Had to borrow $60.

I really can’t think of any more relevant set of numbers than those.

comments?

Last year saw one school have half of its season and its bowl game canceled, and that affected revenues, but ticket sales this season have been ahead of even 2019. So for Iowa, last year will end up being just a hiccup, and not their fault the B10 was quite cautious about Covid.

so we clearly need to look at longer-term history, as well as highly probable trends with each school being in VERY different conference situations. No one needs to throw up his hands and say there arent plenty of facts to compare. A typical propaganda strategy is to just muddy the waters, and that’s what’s been happening here.

so let’s get real, cite the sources of the numbers, give links, and be objective. I’ve been giving links all along and trying to stick to the numbers, media sources etc.

Reactions: iafan44
Psyclone just wanted to discuss the numbers/budget/revenues/debt, yet, somehow was able to conclude that Iowa City is not safe and a bad campus.

All is some effort to prove Iowa State is....

Psyclone just wanted to discuss the numbers/budget/revenues/debt, yet, somehow was able to conclude that Iowa City is not safe and a bad campus.

All is some effort to prove Iowa State is....
They are only turning down the B1G overtures for admittance due safety concerns.

Reactions: iahawks10
Scroll up and look at the article from the Quad cities TV station that links to a freedom of information act request from both Iowa and Iowa State, with all the documentation, showing that two years ago, Iowa athletics earned $7 million.

Iowa State earned $80,000.

For some reason though clone fans chose not to comment on that well cited and scrupulously reported set of facts. Why?

According to the Wall Street Journal reporting NCAA data, in 2019, iowa football Generated more revenue than a dozen big time and even elite programs, including the likes of Clemson, FSU, Oregon, USC, etc.

Why no comments on that? Instead, you link articles on a crime or two in the city this year? Seriously?

iowa completed over $150M in facility upgrades in recent years. Borrowed $30M to do it.

ISU completed $80M. Had to borrow $60.

I really can’t think of any more relevant set of numbers than those.

comments?

Last year saw one school have half of its season and its bowl game canceled, and that affected revenues, but ticket sales this season have been ahead of even 2019. So for Iowa, last year will end up being just a hiccup, and not their fault the B10 was quite cautious about Covid.

so we clearly need to look at longer-term history, as well as highly probable trends with each school being in VERY different conference situations. No one needs to throw up his hands and say there arent plenty of facts to compare. A typical propaganda strategy is to just muddy the waters, and that’s what’s been happening here.

so let’s get real, cite the sources of the numbers, give links, and be objective. I’ve been giving links all along and trying to stick to the numbers, media sources etc.
I think you need a timeout.

The Cyclones aren’t going to make as much money as the Hawkeyes in the foreseeable future. Last I looked, all the Money that Texas is making isn't driving great results.

This should all be about scoreboards more than it is about bank accounts.

I use the term SUI as a troll, but that is the actual name. In the '60s, the university dropped the "S" for all practical purposes but it remains the name. It's what is used in legal documents and Regents stuff, unless something has changed.
Yes, I’m aware that was (may still be) the technical name as you say for legal documents. Not sure it still is? However, in general, most know and refer to it as the University of Iowa. I was simply assuming you were trolling, for which you admitted. Thanks for your candor.

Kidding aside, the overall crime rate is almost exactly the same in Iowa City and Ames. There has been concerned about the night scene at the Ped Mall for quite some time, though. And I'm not just talking about the over abundance of mimes.

....And here I am, contributing to a discussion completely unrelated to the subject of the thread, after I chastized others for doing the same thing. Effing hypocrite.
Wasn’t there a girl (isu student?) murdered fairly recently near a golf course in Ames, or near campus? I don’t keep up on Ames much, but thought that was in the news?

This is null and void. It was before ISU won back to back National Championships.
Exactly! 2020 is the only season they will accept data points for. Unless that data point shows the Fiesta Bowl TV ratings being down 19%.

He was pretty spot on with his last post. He has presented facts and documentation. Psy the ‘fact man’ used his feelings to claim Iowa City was full of drugs and dangerous. Heed your own advice and stay on topic.
might want to checkout AuroaHawks reply to his same facts on the large vs. small markets thread. Seems some of the facts are not exactly as presented.

might want to checkout AuroaHawks reply to his same facts on the large vs. small markets thread. Seems some of the facts are not exactly as presented.
I am just following the direction that seems to have been established. The ‘facts’ the op presented were accurate. Similar to ‘facts’ that psy has posted on here. They are actual facts that don’t tell the entire story but it doesn’t change the reality that they are facts. Lone established that criteria when dealing with psy.

This is just the latest.
Classic clone cherry picking. I hope you're not associated with a science, technology or engineering area of ISU...your approach to statistics and data is laughable. How bout this for a more accurate comparrison?

The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Iowa City is 1 in 46. Based on FBI crime data,

Iowa City, IA Crime Rates - NeighborhoodScout

The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Ames is 1 in 45. Based on FBI crime data

Ames, IA Crime Rates - NeighborhoodScout

On the other hand, stick with your flawed perception and just stay the hell out of Iowa City. We don't need clones contaminating our campus

Last edited:
Classic clone cherry picking. I hope you're not associated with a science, technology or engineering area of ISU...your approach to statistics and data is laughable. How bout this for a more accurate comparrison?

The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Iowa City is 1 in 46. Based on FBI crime data,

Iowa City, IA Crime Rates - NeighborhoodScout

The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Ames is 1 in 45. Based on FBI crime data

Ames, IA Crime Rates - NeighborhoodScout

On the other hand, stick with your flawed perception and just stay the hell out of Iowa City. We don't need clones contaminating our campus
Did you miss my comment about the crime rates in Iowa City and Ames being almost identical? I thought so. Apology accepted.

So, if someone leases their vehicle, they don’t consider such payments as debt to service?
I don't know. Never leased a car. I think of leasing a building as playing rent. And could you tell me who owns the Sukup facility? I tried to get the information and couldn't find it.

I am just following the direction that seems to have been established. The ‘facts’ the op presented were accurate. Similar to ‘facts’ that psy has posted on here. They are actual facts that don’t tell the entire story but it doesn’t change the reality that they are facts. Lone established that criteria when dealing with psy.
I haven't established any criteria. I have tried for years, without success, on this board and on the OT board, to establish ONE criterion. I think a person should be responsible for what he/she writes, not what another posters imagines was written.

Wasn’t there a girl (isu student?) murdered fairly recently near a golf course in Ames, or near campus? I don’t keep up on Ames much, but thought that was in the news?
Yes. Star of the golf team. Hell of a sad thing.

Reactions: rchawk
I haven't established any criteria. I have tried for years, without success, on this board and on the OT board, to establish ONE criterion. I think a person should be responsible for what he/she writes, not what another posters imagines was written.
You know as well as I do that the way that 'facts' are presented can be solely to troll. SUI? Fact, done to be a troll? Yup. Only looking at a single data set and being unwilling to look at a full data set while making some inferences off those facts, troll? Yup. Taking what appears to be isolated incidents and applying them to large groups of fans, troll?
Holding up your hands and saying 'what? me?'. The Eddie Haskell routine gets a bit tiresome. There are certain posters(rarely you, but seems to be increasing) looking for the sliver of opportunity to take an unwarranted shot using speculation and feelings to take that shot then falling into the 'I don't know, I don't have the facts' routine when it doesn't create an opening to take a shot or fit the premise. If that is what being responsible for what someone writes than we can follow that criteria. I prefer reasonable, consistent discussions.

You know as well as I do that the way that 'facts' are presented can be solely to troll. SUI? Fact, done to be a troll? Yup. Only looking at a single data set and being unwilling to look at a full data set while making some inferences off those facts, troll? Yup. Taking what appears to be isolated incidents and applying them to large groups of fans, troll?
Holding up your hands and saying 'what? me?'. The Eddie Haskell routine gets a bit tiresome. There are certain posters(rarely you, but seems to be increasing) looking for the sliver of opportunity to take an unwarranted shot using speculation and feelings to take that shot then falling into the 'I don't know, I don't have the facts' routine when it doesn't create an opening to take a shot or fit the premise. If that is what being responsible for what someone writes than we can follow that criteria. I prefer reasonable, consistent discussions.
Sorry you feel that way.

Are you denying there is a continuing problem especially downtown?

How about posting some hard information instead of an article from a single incident. What is this “continuing problem?” What crimes does it pertain to? Who is being victimized?

did you read it?, Aurora is an obvious diehard Hawk fan, he pretty much trashed the WSJ article as not factual or very loose with the facts and then making a bunch of assumptions in the author's interpretation of value. Was pretty weak for the OP who started the whole thread by saying he wanted to have a unbiased discussion with no attacking etc. and he pretty much seems to be on the attack throughout the thread and uses a pretty lame article to back up his point. But I don't really care, looking forward to the game on the 11th, of course I think and hope ISU will win, but we will see. Good luck to you!

Sorry you feel that way.
Thanks Mr. Haskell. I am a little disappointed in myself as well. Certainly nothing that you have done or supported that contributes to my opinion............ not sure which emoji is the sarcasm one but insert that here if you know. Criteria established.

The 'point out issues in Iowa City' let it percolate, spark discussion, follow it up later with something mentioning Ames. Hold up hands and say 'see I posted both sides'. I can now picture why those tailgaters back in the day didn't want to move their cars so you and your friends could leave.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Nice spin.

I'm denying that there's any attempt by you to be even-handed in your analyses...not that it needs to be pointed out.
Who said I was trying to be even handed? Nobody posting here is trying to be even handed. I am not Lone CyHawk

And I don't remember any Hawkeye players knocking off a Burger King.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT