ADVERTISEMENT

GoT Season 5, episode 8. Spoilers will be had

HawktimusPrime

HR Legend
Mar 23, 2015
An absolutely delicious episode, full of surprises and new material for both the show only crew and the book readers.

-Dany and Tyrions scenes were awesome and i have to admit, it was a bit awe inspiring to see two such awesome characters enjoy some great banter together. Especially since it is totally new material and hasn't been had in the books. As much as you could tell Dany quickly gained great respect for Tyrion, she also held her own nicely.

-Poor jorah got the boot again, but he seems to have some sort of plan. Which involves fighting In the pits.

-The scene with Sansa and Reek was good as well and now sansa knows both rickon and Bran live. Wonder what she will do with that information.

-Cersei, oh poor Cersei, she has spirit, I'll give her that, but she's in a bad place and she's slowly breaking.

-Arya is becoming quite the student and she appears to be on her way to taking out her first official target as a faceless. I'm growing concerned about the other girl who seems to have a problem with her.

And onto the end of the episode, which was a holy **** of a way to end it. It was a pretty long ending but wow it was amazing.

For those who don't want to be even more spoiled I suggest you stop reading now.....

The white walkers make their first major move. It started with a sort of howl and a sudden snow avalanche of sorts down be mountain.

Just as Jon convinced a portion of the wildlings to join them south, along comes a white walker/dead army to **** it up big time. Along with the Nights King himself.

Jon also caught the attention of the King when he slayed his lieutenant with his Valyrian sword. As unlike other normal weapons it didn't shatter when it made contact with the walkers weapon.
Could it be the Valyrian Steele, or was it due to who was wielding that very sword? Guess we will find out. Either way the Nights King was definitely interested in Jon from that point on.

A particularly chilling way to end it with a stare down between Jon and the Nights King as the King mockingly raised his arms and up rose all the dead that his army had taken out during the battle. Jon gazed at the huge army, which was likely only a small portion of the their numbers with a WTF are we going to do about this look on his face, as they escaped into the ocean. Awesome.

To me, it was a truly magnificent episode. The walkers are immensely terrifying and made short work of the wildlings and Jons men. And it is now way the F off course from the books, and I like it. Keep it coming.

Best episode of the season and the best battle of the entire shows history so far.

An absolutely delicious episode, full of surprises and new material for both the show only crew and the book readers.

-Dany and Tyrions scenes were awesome and i have to admit, it was a bit awe inspiring to see two such awesome characters enjoy some great banter together. Especially since it is totally new material and hasn't been had in the books. As much as you could tell Dany quickly gained great respect for Tyrion, she also held her own nicely.

-Poor jorah got the boot again, but he seems to have some sort of plan. Which involves fighting In the pits.

-The scene with Sansa and Reek was good as well and now sansa knows both rickon and Bran live. Wonder what she will do with that information.

-Cersei, oh poor Cersei, she has spirit, I'll give her that, but she's in a bad place and she's slowly breaking.

-Arya is becoming quite the student and she appears to be on her way to taking out her first official target as a faceless. I'm growing concerned about the other girl who seems to have a problem with her.

And onto the end of the episode, which was a holy **** of a way to end it. It was a pretty long ending but wow it was amazing.

For those who don't want to be even more spoiled I suggest you stop reading now.....

The white walkers make their first major move. It started with a sort of howl and a sudden snow avalanche of sorts down be mountain.

Just as Jon convinced a portion of the wildlings to join them south, along comes a white walker/dead army to **** it up big time. Along with the Nights King himself.

Jon also caught the attention of the King when he slayed his lieutenant with his Valyrian sword. As unlike other normal weapons it didn't shatter when it made contact with the walkers weapon.
Could it be the Valyrian Steele, or was it due to who was wielding that very sword? Guess we will find out. Either way the Nights King was definitely interested in Jon from that point on.

A particularly chilling way to end it with a stare down between Jon and the Nights King as the King mockingly raised his arms and up rose all the dead that his army had taken out during the battle. Jon gazed at the huge army, which was likely only a small portion of the their numbers with a WTF are we going to do about this look on his face, as they escaped into the ocean. Awesome.

To me, it was a truly magnificent episode. The walkers are immensely terrifying and made short work of the wildlings and Jons men. And it is now way the F off course from the books, and I like it. Keep it coming.

Best episode of the season and the best battle of the entire shows history so far.

Does jon even go to hardhomme in the books?

First great episode of the season and then I see .....only 2 more episodes left. I am not book person so without spoiling to much what was up with JS's sword. Is it made of dragon glass?

It must have been because it was made out of Valyrian Steele because the other sword he used shattered.

I agree that was one hell of an episode. Loved the Tyrion/Dany scene and of course that battle was some kind of something. Given the power of the white walkers and their ability to multiply their army with the people they kill, if the story is going to end well, I think it will end in one of two ways. Either the dragons come in and burn everything, or Jon kills white walker king and zombies just become dead people again.

It must have been because it was made out of Valyrian Steele because the other sword he used shattered.

I agree that was one hell of an episode. Loved the Tyrion/Dany scene and of course that battle was some kind of something. Given the power of the white walkers and their ability to multiply their army with the people they kill, if the story is going to end well, I think it will end in one of two ways. Either the dragons come in and burn everything, or Jon kills white walker king and zombies just become dead people again.

Don't look now, winter is here!

Knowing HBO, it will probably take JS, Dany & the Dragons, help from Dorne as well as some freaky stuff from Brann to save Westeros.

So I remember the handicapped kid made it to the cave and the raven, but what happened to the other boy? Are they both out of the storyline for the season? I don't need any updates from the book if they have advanced their storylines, just trying to figure out what is going on from the show.

Reactions: ironside1
So I remember the handicapped kid made it to the cave and the raven, but what happened to the other boy? Are they both out of the storyline for the season? I don't need any updates from the book if they have advanced their storylines, just trying to figure out what is going on from the show.

IIRC, Osha took Rickon somewhere safer.

There was a myth that the Valeryian Steel would kill a white walker. Also, let's be clear. Only those with the blue eyes are the white walkers. The zombies are considered others. I think that is the case anyway. So now there are 3 ways to kill those. Valeryrian steel, dragon glass or dragon fire. My grand theory is this. Jon finds out he is a Targaryen (sp?). He joins with Danny to rule the north and the south (no more houses, they will be unified) and they defeat the long night using dragons, dragon glass and valeryian steel. Now, how do they get the steel? I have a feeling Jorah Mormount will be a big player and welcomed back when he goes full stone man and re-enters Valeryia to obtain it. I know in the books that Jon is supposed to encounter a mutiny but I wonder if they will keep that in here. I mean Edd was with him and saw that Jon was right all along.

The battle between Jon and the Night's King should be epic. I need to read all of the books and side info again.

The Crows, Wildlings and Giants are united now... but will the rest of the Kingdoms unite?

Not only does Sansa know her brothers live, but she now has information on Theon to use to her advantage later if needed.

Trying to figure out why the Arya story even matters. Seems pointless.

Loved the dialogue between Tyrion and Dany. Things appear like they will heat up... especially because it looks like Jorah isn't done just yet.

Cersi appears to be running out of time and I won't be sad to see her go.

Two episode left... and both will likely be huge.

Jon did not go to Hardhome. Jon had Tormund broker a deal with the Wildlings. As Aegon, or Prime..., mentioned, Valyrian steel is special, but it's unclear if it was the steel, or the fact that Jon was wielding it.

Maybe someone else has a better understanding, but I think there is a difference between the White Walkers, and the 'others'. Either way, it has accelerated well beyond the books at this point. I kind of like it. The speed of the army coming on them like an avalanche makes you understand whey they not only built the massive wall, but why they maintained it for ages.

The only parts of show that are still in line with the books are the happenings in Kings Landing, and Arya.

The others are dead risen and can almost call them zombies. You can kill them with swords or smashing them like was being done in the episode. White Walkers are bad a$$ mo fos. They can only be killed by Dragon glass or fire, now either Valyrian steel or because Jon is the man. Because in the books Valyrian steel swords are such a big deal I think that is what is killing the White Walkers.

Dany and Tyrion talking to each other is truly amazing
Arya's storyline, no clue how its going to tie into Westeros but if she comes back she will be an epic warrior
Poor Sansa, not sure how Winterfell is going to turn out in the books or show
Kings Landing is a mess and I love it

My guess of the finish (with Martin tho who knows)

Jon controls the North after somehow he finds out he is Targaryean
Dany rules Westeros with Tyrion as her Hand

At some point in time there will be a huge battle between Dany's army and Dragons/Jon's wildlings vs the White Walkers and it will be the most amazing thing in TV history

Jon did not go to Hardhome. Jon had Tormund broker a deal with the Wildlings. As Aegon, or Prime..., mentioned, Valyrian steel is special, but it's unclear if it was the steel, or the fact that Jon was wielding it.

Maybe someone else has a better understanding, but I think there is a difference between the White Walkers, and the 'others'. Either way, it has accelerated well beyond the books at this point. I kind of like it. The speed of the army coming on them like an avalanche makes you understand whey they not only built the massive wall, but why they maintained it for ages.

The only parts of show that are still in line with the books are the happenings in Kings Landing, and Arya.

Last night Sam unknowingly gave permission to Ollie to do the mutiny on Jon. His conversation about sometimes having to do the right thing even if it isn't popular.

In the books, there are the others, and the wights. The others are referred to as the white walkers in the show. The wights are the reanimated corpses.

When Sam was reading through all of the old books at Castle Black he found a mention of dragon steel being able to kill white walkers. He wondered if that meant Valyrian Steel since that is where dragons were from. It looks like he was correct.

My best guess for Arya is that she becomes an assassin who gets Cersei as a target towards the end of the story. She gets her vengeance and then slinks away back to Bravos.

Last night Sam unknowingly gave permission to Ollie to do the mutiny on Jon. His conversation about sometimes having to do the right thing even if it isn't popular.

In the books, there are the others, and the wights. The others are referred to as the white walkers in the show. The wights are the reanimated corpses.

When Sam was reading through all of the old books at Castle Black he found a mention of dragon steel being able to kill white walkers. He wondered if that meant Valyrian Steel since that is where dragons were from. It looks like he was correct.

My best guess for Arya is that she becomes an assassin who gets Cersei as a target towards the end of the story. She gets her vengeance and then slinks away back to Bravos.
Yeah, the Ollie kid has a right to be pissed, but he needs to get over it soon. Hopefully he can be convinced of the coming problem, because the Whites aren't f'n around and they don't have time for BS right now. I'm thinking though unfortunately that his scenes have had purpose, and not a good one.
I wonder how this changes Stannis's position when and if he hears about what happened. He needs to get back to the wall, especially with Melisandre as she could be a great asset against the whites.

Arya is such a popular character on the show that Dave & Dan would do well to change her storyline so it meshes into at least one of the major arcs. I think she is destined for more than just crossing names off her list.

Also, I hope Dany can find enough booze to keep Tyrion happy. She is going to need his intellect and advice as they move forward. If you haven't noticed, her list of male advisors has taken a major hit since the end of season 4. It would be a good time for Lord Varys to announce himself to Dany.

How many more seasons are planned after this one? I think they could wrap it up with 2 more.

I recorded it, will watch it tonight. Not concerned about spoilers, as it sounds like they've left the books far in the dust and are essentially creating an all-new plot.

Won't be surprised if Rick and his gang from "The Walking Dead" show up and teach them how to deal with walkers.

Reactions: INXS83
I recorded it, will watch it tonight. Not concerned about spoilers, as it sounds like they've left the books far in the dust and are essentially creating an all-new plot.

Won't be surprised if Rick and his gang from "The Walking Dead" show up and teach them how to deal with walkers.
Wouldn't that make you more concerned about spoilers?

Best episode of the season, so far. And particularly enjoyable since both TV Viewers and Book Readers are now synchronized.

I think readers still have a pretty good idea of the Cersei and Arya arcs...Probably an idea of what awaits Jon when he returns to the wall.

The whole come at me bro stare down at the end between the night king and Jon was an epic moment.
When the snow started coming I was like WTF is going on here? Totally unexpected madness, it was a smart move by the show producers, and I think that it pretty much caught every fan off guard.

Reactions: HallofFame
The whole come at me bro stare down at the end between the night king and Jon was an epic moment.
556bc21c378caf0d670e4d8c_come-at-me-crow-nights-king.gif

It'll be interesting to see if Jon Snow is murdered when he gets back to the wall. And if he is, who resurrects him? Melisandre and the lord of the light?

It's rumored that the night king, who once was a lord commander of the nights watch, was also a Stark. What if Jon Snow is killed and brought back by his long lost relative the night king as an other? That would be a hell of the way to end the season, with Jon Snow's eyes turning blue.

Fire and Ice, indeed!

This is how I understood it, White Walkers and Whites (zombies).

It'll be interesting to see if Jon Snow is murdered when he gets back to the wall. And if he is, who resurrects him? Melisandre and the lord of the light?

It's rumored that the night king, who once was a lord commander of the nights watch, was also a Stark. What if Jon Snow is killed and brought back by his long lost relative the night king as an other? That would be a hell of the way to end the season, with Jon Snow's eyes turning blue.

Fire and Ice, indeed!

The Knights King was not a Stark. Old Nan of Winterfell told tales that said he was believed to be a Bolton, Magnar of Skagos, Umber, Flint, Norry, or Woodfoot. *wiki He was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, but it was a long time ago. Benjen Stark was possibly lost to the others, and may be with the Knights King. Many think Benjen is Coldhands, but GRRM has already said no to that. I thought that might have been Benjen that Jon was fighting, but when he killed him, I figured probably not.

The Knights King was not a Stark. Old Nan of Winterfell told tales that said he was believed to be a Bolton, Magnar of Skagos, Umber, Flint, Norry, or Woodfoot. *wiki He was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, but it was a long time ago. Benjen Stark was possibly lost to the others, and may be with the Knights King. Many think Benjen is Coldhands, but GRRM has already said no to that. I thought that might have been Benjen that Jon was fighting, but when he killed him, I figured probably not.
I think to be an actual one of the others, you have to have been changed as a baby. At least that is what the show somewhat implied.

I thought Coldhands would either be Mormont, not sure what happened to his body after the mutiny thinking maybe some magic is sprinkled somewhere in Mormont blood, or either a long lost Stark

I thought Coldhands would either be Mormont, not sure what happened to his body after the mutiny thinking maybe some magic is sprinkled somewhere in Mormont blood, or either a long lost Stark

GRRM said he is going to unveil Coldhands in Winds.....if it's ever finished.

Since we are not worrying about spoilers, here's my prediction. When Jon gets back to Castle Black, members of the Nights Watch revolt and he gets killed. The Red Woman convinces Stannis to return to Castle Black to restore order. On the way, she keeps trying to convince him to burn his daughter. He keeps refusing. This causes her to rethink her belief that he is Azor Ahai.
Once at Castle Black, the Red Woman has Stannis taken and sacrifices him to revive Jon. In the process, she puts Jon's sword into the pyre. Jon awakens, sees what's happening, takes his sword from the flames and kills the Red Woman. With her last breath, she happily says "Azor Ahai has be reborn!" And Jon's sword bursts into flame.
End of Season 5, episode 10.

Since we are not worrying about spoilers, here's my prediction. When Jon gets back to Castle Black, members of the Nights Watch revolt and he gets killed. The Red Woman convinces Stannis to return to Castle Black to restore order. On the way, she keeps trying to convince him to burn his daughter. He keeps refusing. This causes her to rethink her belief that he is Azor Ahai.
Once at Castle Black, the Red Woman has Stannis taken and sacrifices him to revive Jon. In the process, she puts Jon's sword into the pyre. Jon awakens, sees what's happening, takes his sword from the flames and kills the Red Woman. With her last breath, she happily says "Azor Ahai has be reborn!" And Jon's sword bursts into flame.
End of Season 5, episode 10.
They'll need to reiterate the whole Azor Ahai deal though a bit. I don't think it's been mentioned too often and people would be confused if they don't explain it a bit first.

Some are theorizing that the Nights King could possibly resurrect Jon as well, if the whole stabby thing happens. There's also another who MAY be able to do it as well, and with how much they've changed the story, I could see it happening. IF that OTHER person ever shows up.

GRRM said he is going to unveil Coldhands in Winds.....if it's ever finished.
WTF is taking him so long? He's had decades now, and he supposedly was able to tell the show writers how it was all going to go, so shouldn't he be able to finish these f'n books?

I guess from the books I never thought Jon was dead. Kinda wondering if I missed it with everyone thinking Jon is going to die.

Also with so little main characters killed recently I have to think something is going to happen, otherwise Martin has gotten soft. In the books he may kill people with the fact that other lesser characters popped up with possible significant impact on the storyline

I guess from the books I never thought Jon was dead. Kinda wondering if I missed it with everyone thinking Jon is going to die.

Also with so little main characters killed recently I have to think something is going to happen, otherwise Martin has gotten soft. In the books he may kill people with the fact that other lesser characters popped up with possible significant impact on the storyline
Too much of Jons story has been told to just simply kill him off now. The books never actually said he died, it was just assumed, because he shanked multiple times.

I was just assuming that he was severely hurt, patched up, and put in jail. At that point in time I was thinking the Red Witch and Wildlings were going to have a word to say with The Watch.

We are way, way past Spoilers now

Im very interested how they are going to end the season with Winterfell, the wall, and Kings Landing

They'll need to reiterate the whole Azor Ahai deal though a bit. I don't think it's been mentioned too often and people would be confused if they don't explain it a bit first.

Some are theorizing that the Nights King could possibly resurrect Jon as well, if the whole stabby thing happens. There's also another who MAY be able to do it as well, and with how much they've changed the story, I could see it happening. IF that OTHER person ever shows up.

I think I would be so let down if our hero is turned to the white walker. I love the azor ahai theory.

Too much of Jons story has been told to just simply kill him off now. The books never actually said he died, it was just assumed, because he shanked multiple times.
I thought it was pretty clear he was dead, but the same has been true for other characters, notably Catelyn. I'm also confused by the battle in last night's episode. I don't recall it occurring in the book.

Books there was not battle just a storm and famine I think that killed a lot of the wildlings. I forgot but either they couldnt leave or stuck in the town.

Show is definitely progressing faster and supposed to be different to the book

It was OK until it degenerated into a stupid zombie war. Reanimated recently dead people - which we have seen before in the series - OK. Rather dumb, but I can live with it. Hordes of nearly unkillable skeletons skittering about, that's just stupid.

Reactions: lou loomis
It was OK until it degenerated into a stupid zombie war. Reanimated recently dead people - which we have seen before in the series - OK. Rather dumb, but I can live with it. Hordes of nearly unkillable skeletons skittering about, that's just stupid.

I guess I don't get this viewpoint, is it because of The Walking Dead that you feel this way? If there hadn't been other zombie shows would you feel different?

They obviously aren't unkillable, they were killing many of them and holding their own, they were simply outnumbered.

I think it correlates, mythic ally, with many parts of history. Britons feuding with each other for centuries, then banding together to fight a common enemy from some other world, like the Norse or Danish. They just happen to fall into even easier category of evil in this series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT