ADVERTISEMENT

GoT Season 5, episode 8. Spoilers will be had

It was OK until it degenerated into a stupid zombie war. Reanimated recently dead people - which we have seen before in the series - OK. Rather dumb, but I can live with it. Hordes of nearly unkillable skeletons skittering about, that's just stupid.
I'm seeing a lot of people bitch about this. Is it because you want it to stay more human like? Eh?

GRRM said he is going to unveil Coldhands in Winds.....if it's ever finished.

I know you book-people want to tie it to the show, but the show is not the book.

There is no cold hands in the show, right? His two opportunities have passed: bran traveling to the children, saving Sam/Gilly.

Maybe he will come along later, maybe he won't, but some of you discuss the show like its the books, it is clearly different at this point.

I know you book-people want to tie it to the show, but the show is not the book.

There is no cold hands in the show, right? His two opportunities have passed: bran traveling to the children, saving Sam/Gilly.

Maybe he will come along later, maybe he won't, but some of you discuss the show like its the books, it is clearly different at this point.
You are right but people are obviously discussing the book while also discussing the show in this thread

but you are correct, Coldhands nor Zombie Cat will be in this show

You are right but people are obviously discussing the book while also discussing the show in this thread

but you are correct, Coldhands nor Zombie Cat will be in this show

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss the book, but this thread is clearly for the show and its latest episode, and talking in detail about book-only plots is confusing to many people (imo).

Reactions: BABiscuit
Considering the second post brought up the book and a nice discussion has followed I think you are overreacting. People can now openly discuss the book and the show because they are so different now

It's pretty clear they have left the books in the dust. You can argue if that is good or bad all you want but I'm going to just sit back enjoy the show and not get so worked up over every little different thing.

The Knights King was not a Stark. Old Nan of Winterfell told tales that said he was believed to be a Bolton, Magnar of Skagos, Umber, Flint, Norry, or Woodfoot. *wiki He was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, but it was a long time ago. Benjen Stark was possibly lost to the others, and may be with the Knights King. Many think Benjen is Coldhands, but GRRM has already said no to that. I thought that might have been Benjen that Jon was fighting, but when he killed him, I figured probably not.
What Wiki are you reading? The GameofThrones.wikia says:

One of the Stories Old Nan told Bran is about the Night's King. She said some people believe the Night's King was a Bolton, a Magnar of Skagos, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or a Woodfoot. However, she identified the Night's King as a Stark of Winterfell and brother to the King of the North and hints his name was Brandon.

I've heard GoT on HBO will go at least 7 seasons with a probable spin-off starting when the original ends. The cost and difficulty of holding main cast members beyond 7 seasons gets to be too much. Harrington, Clarke, Dinklage, and others all have other opportunities ahead of them and will get tired of being held back.

After the success of season 1, an HBO exec. told GRRM they would like to see it last 10 seasons. GRRM was pleased. Rumors I've heard are to go with a spin-off rather than a prequel series. Prequels add flavor to the original series, especially in dream sequences.

Spin-offs let you introduce new characters, portrayed by younger, cheaper actors.

I just hope it doesn't go until it 'jumps the shark' like Dexter, True Blood, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire did.

I'm seeing a lot of people bitch about this. Is it because you want it to stay more human like? Eh?

I confess, I find the humans in this series plenty interesting. So that's part of it. But not all.

It's one thing to think of, say, ISIS as mindless hordes. But this really is mindless hordes.

It's like fighting a war and suddenly, instead of facing humans who are at least somewhat like you and could have views and purposes you might understand, you are facing giant cockroaches.

If that happened in real life, that would be awful and a serious battle, of course. And we wouldn't need it to be "interesting" or "make sense." But this is entertainment. And I just feel like this is a cop-out - almost to the point of being scene-filler. As if there isn't enough in the books/storyline to fill the 50 minutes. And after the first 5 minutes, it was pretty boring. Like a car chase scene that goes on too long. Or an overly-long wedding scene.

The White Walkers are interesting (at least in part because they seem intelligent, alien, and we don't know their objectives). Somewhat like the Wraith in Atlantis, or the 9 kings in LotR. But the skeletons are like the bad CGI clone armies in Star Wars. Sure, they are good CGI, by comparison, but still way too phoney and hokey.

Just my opinion.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss the book, but this thread is clearly for the show and its latest episode, and talking in detail about book-only plots is confusing to many people (imo).
Confusing even to those of us who have read the books (and can't remember a Cold Hands or Jon dying).

I don't mind these mentions but I wish they'd come with a little info. Like "Cold Hands, the character who appeared here and did this...." I know, I know I could reread the books or probably just google it. Which I'll do now.

Now that we know Valyrian steel can kill them; i have to think there is something of significance to the Stark sword (ice) being reforged into two swords by Tywin Lannister. Jaime gave his to Brienne, and the other smaller one was given to Joffrey. I think they'll have a part to play in all of this before the end.

Confusing even to those of us who have read the books (and can't remember a Cold Hands or Jon dying).

I don't mind these mentions but I wish they'd come with a little info. Like "Cold Hands, the character who appeared here and did this...." I know, I know I could reread the books or probably just google it. Which I'll do now.
Really? My retention is notoriously bad, but I remember Cold Hands and Jon dying.

I agree with you about Sunday's episode. Mindless whacking. And people coming back to life....sorry, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Really? My retention is notoriously bad, but I remember Cold Hands and Jon dying.

I agree with you about Sunday's episode. Mindless whacking. And people coming back to life....sorry, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
Well, you have read the books more recently. But memory loss sucks.

I confess, I find the humans in this series plenty interesting. So that's part of it. But not all.

It's one thing to think of, say, ISIS as mindless hordes. But this really is mindless hordes.

It's like fighting a war and suddenly, instead of facing humans who are at least somewhat like you and could have views and purposes you might understand, you are facing giant cockroaches.

If that happened in real life, that would be awful and a serious battle, of course. And we wouldn't need it to be "interesting" or "make sense." But this is entertainment. And I just feel like this is a cop-out - almost to the point of being scene-filler. As if there isn't enough in the books/storyline to fill the 50 minutes. And after the first 5 minutes, it was pretty boring. Like a car chase scene that goes on too long. Or an overly-long wedding scene.

The White Walkers are interesting (at least in part because they seem intelligent, alien, and we don't know their objectives). Somewhat like the Wraith in Atlantis, or the 9 kings in LotR. But the skeletons are like the bad CGI clone armies in Star Wars. Sure, they are good CGI, by comparison, but still way too phoney and hokey.

Just my opinion.
It is a very strange enemy when compared to the rest of the stories. Sure there is some magic here and there, but most of the characters are very relatable human wise. Which makes the sudden appearance of a zombie army controlled by alien looking demon things just that much more strange.
I think though that it's a good clash of humanity vs. inhumanity.

I just hope it doesn't go until it 'jumps the shark' like Dexter, True Blood, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire did.

Dexter went, at least, 3 seasons past the shark, I lost interest in True Blood early on, The Sopranos worked, and although Boardwalk jumped it at the end, it still wrapped things up nicely, albeit cliched. Hopefully GOT does better than all of these, but it will be very sad if it gets Dexter bad.

That is basically what I was trying to point out. There have been multiple times in these threads where, ten posts later, people are realizing, "ohhhhh....this never happened..." Some characters have been discussed in here that haven't even been hinted at in the show.

In the books,
I don't recall Cold Hands dying. He fended off some wights or distracted them as Bran made a run for it to the children or whatever and that was that. He wasn't really a significant character so I could be wrong though.

Jon's throat was grazed, although not very deep, then stabbed 3 times. We don't really know if he is dead or alive.

In the show, I think Olie will be the one to stab Jon. Sam already gave him the words of advice.

In the books,
I don't recall Cold Hands dying. He fended off some wights or distracted them as Bran made a run for it to the children or whatever and that was that. He wasn't really a significant character so I could be wrong though.

Jon's throat was grazed, although not very deep, then stabbed 3 times. We don't really know if he is dead or alive.

In the show, I think Olie will be the one to stab Jon. Sam already gave him the words of advice.
What I meant was "I remember Cold Hands, and I remember Jon dying."

My impression is HBO is doing some editing to avoid shark jumping scenes.

As far as the Zombie war scene. It caught me a little of guard, but I kind of like it, and this is why;
In the book, you are never really 'that' scared of the Others, Walkers, Wights. Even in the series, they were kind of slow moving things, other than Bran's frozen pond scene. Obviously, the people of Westeros built this massive wall, and dedicated many forts, and many people to defend it. It never really made sense, until they showed the ludicrous speed Zombies attacking Hardhome, just how bad they are.... And why such a huge wall was needed.

I know the illiterati are getting a little sensitive, but I think we are going to see it play out that it is going to take

The Wall
The Direwolves (with Bran and the skinchangers (maybe Jon, and some others))
The Wildlings and Watch (with dragonglass)
Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal (the Dragons)

to defeat The Others and Whitewalkers.

The question will be the roles of Jon, Daeany, Bran, and Arya, and how they figure into protecting the realm.

I think they made The Others a bigger deal in the the show because they could be bringing everyone together to fight in the this epic battle which probably isnt or cant happen in the books.

Having Jon, Arya, Bran, Dany, Red Witch, and the wildlings face this new threat could be what the upcoming events could be leading to

In the books I never get that kind of a story. Its all about who is going to win the game of thrones.

Also, the people complaining about discussing book while talking about the show are just as distracting. If you have questions ask. Jon being attacked was one of the last things that happened in the books I thought.

I think they made The Others a bigger deal in the the show because they could be bringing everyone together to fight in the this epic battle which probably isnt or cant happen in the books.

Having Jon, Arya, Bran, Dany, Red Witch, and the wildlings face this new threat could be what the upcoming events could be leading to

In the books I never get that kind of a story. Its all about who is going to win the game of thrones.

Also, the people complaining about discussing book while talking about the show are just as distracting. If you have questions ask. Jon being attacked was one of the last things that happened in the books I thought.
My memory is that Jon's (apparent) death was almost the last thing in the last book.

Haven't kept up with the books to know where they are at, but easily the best episode in a long time. That stare down at the end was epic. Pissed off the female elder died. She was another wilding cutie IMo.

Reactions: belezabro
Haven't kept up with the books to know where they are at, but easily the best episode in a long time. That stare down at the end was epic. Pissed off the female elder died. She was another wilding cutie IMo.

I was thinking she was supposed to be Mother Mole, but it appears her role was Karsi. She is a Danish actress, that you can also currently see in Pitch Perfect 2.

Have we seen Mance Raydars sister in law. Always thought she would be Jon Snows next potential love interest and that she was hot as well

Have we seen Mance Raydars sister in law. Always thought she would be Jon Snows next potential love interest and that she was hot as well
Well, in the books Mance didn't die. Frankly, I want to see more direwolf action.

Well, in the books Mance didn't die. Frankly, I want to see more direwolf action.
I know that, I see the show is straying off that path. But since links was talking about good looking wildlings I continued on the conversation about her because I always thought she was pretty

I want to see Dany in more peril than she is in. Sure plotters/usurpers are trying to mess with her but the entire city in a siege plus blockaded while a plague is happening......I mean Yunkai is F***ed

Now in the show they have eliminated the Iron Islands, which is fine because their stories suck, but they do have some part to play and a really important one if the books ever came out.

But Yunkai is just in an awful spot and Dany is in such a bad position that I hope they keep hitting her hard but the problem is the season is almost over and I cant wait to see what they do with her

Isn't she in Mereen?

Also, are there photos in the books? I only read them on kindle, no pics.

Isn't she in Mereen?

Also, are there photos in the books? I only read them on kindle, no pics.

No photos, but GRRM is so descriptive, you feel like you know them. Seriously, if he didn't spend so much time talking about the food they eat, and the clothes they wear, we might actually know what's going on at this point.

I think we can all agree that Dany needs to get nekkid again.
Pisses me off she can't honor her mostly naked character and play it up like Dany is meant to be. I mean, it's not like we are seeing anything that you haven't already shown us.

I believe she is, and the plague comes from Yunkai.
Will the plague now be spread via the greyscale that Jorah has instead of the blood whatever? It's a different disease, but it is fatal, and could cause
all sorts of chaos. I'd hate to see Jorah go down like that, but he's already playing a dangerous game by not telling anyone about it.

Will the plague now be spread via the greyscale that Jorah has instead of the blood whatever? It's a different disease, but it is fatal, and could cause
all sorts of chaos. I'd hate to see Jorah go down like that, but he's already playing a dangerous game by not telling anyone about it.

I liked the idea of Jorah going to Valerya to procure more sword stuff.

I don't think one single person could do that though. From what the episode with the stone men showed, him and Tyrion were lucky to leave alive. Curious thing about Tyrion, considering he fell into the water, which was likely full of greyscale, and yet he never contracted. Don't you think? Not to mention that the stone man had to have at least gotten a hand on him.

I do wonder though if maybe Dany can get the dragons to clean up the area and then go in. Seeing everyone come together to battle to others is going to be amazing. It's going to have to happen if anyone is to survive. Jons little speech about how hopeless a fight against the others could/would be was great foreshadowing, especially since the shock of an actual large scale attack happened almost right after saying that.

I agree that procuring more weapons is going to be needed for sure.

I don't think one single person could do that though. From what the episode with the stone men showed, him and Tyrion were lucky to leave alive..

I think that was mostly due to trying to avoid skin-contact. Jorah can obviously manhandle 95% of the world's inhabitants, the stone-men can't be proficient in sword-fighting. Take away the fear of grayscale and Jorah could do some damage.

I'm not sure on the history of why that area was deserted, but they sent the stonemen there specifically because it was inhabitable, right?

Haven't read the books but love the show. I've watched the battle scene 3 times. Great mixture of sound/music and silence to capture suspense. Like the clock ticking with the initial Avalanche and the silence during the stare down. Can't wait to see how the war goes down between the army of dead and men.

Again, hope they bring the plague because greyscale is so selective and yes Tyrion had a chance but as of right now either its dormant or he just got lucky and didnt contact it

Dany wears the best clothing, they do need to play it up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT