ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Abbott signs law making illegally entering Texas a state crime....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas signed into law Monday a bill that makes entering Texas illegally a state crime, an extraordinary step in the hard-fought legal battle between the state and the federal government over efforts to curtail illegal immigration.

The measure, SB 4, grants local law enforcement the power to arrest migrants and judges the ability to issue orders to remove them to Mexico. It has sent ripples of fear throughout the Latino community in Texas, which makes up 40% of the state’s population, and was condemned by civil rights organizations and immigration advocacy groups after the Texas legislature passed it last month.

The law is expected to take effect in March.

The ongoing surge of migration at the US-Mexico border has placed immense pressure on local and federal resources. Abbott and the Biden administration have sparred over some of the state’s measures to curb illegal immigration along the southern border. On Sunday, US Customs and Border Protection announced it would temporarily suspend operations at the international railway crossing bridges in Eagle Pass and El Paso, Texas, starting Monday, due to a surge in border crossings by migrants. Border authorities apprehended about 192,000 migrants between ports of entry in November, a 2% increase compared with the 188,000 migrant apprehensions in October, US Border Patrol Chief Jason Owens told CNN.

Democratic House members have said the bill oversteps the federal government’s powers and echoes Arizona’s immigration status provision in what opponents have dubbed the “show me your papers” law. The law was mostly rejected by the US Supreme Court in 2012 when it upheld that the federal government sets immigration policy and laws.

The Republican author of the Texas bill has maintained that the measure is constitutional.

Kevin F. Lawrence, the executive director of Texas Municipal Police Association, told CNN in a statement that “SB 4, at least to some measure, would give local law enforcement better tools to work with.”

The ACLU has threatened to sue Abbott over the measure that the organization has dubbed one of the most anti-immigrant bills passed by any state.

Krish O’Mara Vignarajah, the president and CEO of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, said in response to Abbott signing the bill that the state threatens the “safety and dignity of asylum seekers.”

“By criminalizing the very act of seeking refuge, Texas is turning its back on the values of compassion and due process that make our nation the world’s beacon of humanitarian leadership,” Vignarajah said in a statement Monday.

Three top county executives in Texas penned a letter to President Joe Biden late last month, urging him to stop SB 4 from going into effect, citing concerns the measure is unconstitutional and could make communities less safe. The county executives lead El Paso, Harris (home to Houston) and Travis (home to Austin) counties, which represent nearly a quarter of the state’s population.

“We urge you to intervene to stop this legislation from going into effect and to prevent Texas Governor Greg Abbott from violating the U.S. Constitution,” they wrote in the letter, which was posted on X.

200w.gif

Can't say I blame him. Bidens continued "leadership" of kicking the can down the road isn't an option. When sanctuary cities, that are seeing a percentage of the total influx coming through Texas, are tapping out and saying it isn't sustainable I think most rationale people will understand Texas having to take a step.

No wonder you vote Republican. You claim Biden has done nothing at the border. Then when shown that he has had more apprehensions than Trump, you suddenly pretend that you didn't see what was just out in front of your eyes.
First of all, I never made that claim. Secondly, do you not think there are more apprehensions because there are many more illegal crossings?

No wonder you vote Republican. You claim Biden has done nothing at the border. Then when shown that he has had more apprehensions than Trump, you suddenly pretend that you didn't see what was just out in front of your eyes.

You are playing tag.

In Game A

100 people are "free" and 10 people are "it"
The tag rate is 50%

50 people get tagged.

In game B

10000 people are Free and 25 people are "It", they have a tag rate of 10%

Even though game b has a higher gross number of people tagged you do understand there are a shit ton more "free" in game B correct?

That's what your seeing in those numbers, and Trump regime wasn't close to 50% either.

(And that doesn't even bring up the bullshit about tagging them and then letting them go "free")

Reactions: ditchdigger59
Also, imagine how shitty Biden would be doing if he had to deal with this pandering bullshit:

D94JGEFW4AAsE70.jpg

As if they dems didnt go right back to "kids in cages" when they actually had to start answering questions instead of just throwing rocks and pissing themselves.

Come on man…..

Binden has more apprehensions due to saying the border is open while Trump said don’t come, the border is closed and you won’t be let in, you will be sent back. If you can’t see the difference in policies between the two admins and the outcomes of their policies then you aren’t being honest with yourself.

The border needs to be closed and people need to come to the US the legal way. Yes, people should be able to seek asylum but not just flow across the border as what is happening. Both sides need to come up with real world solutions to this ongoing problem.

My solution is to meet with Mexico and Latin American leaders to discuss keeping their people home by improving their standard of living, bring jobs to these countries by asking the companies manufacturing in China to open facilities in these countries to educate and give these people the jobs they want in their home countries and get out of China. The US has to work with Canada, Mexico, and Latin America to compete against our enemies in China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea. Continue to support Israel, South Korea, and Japan. Taiwan Too.

Many of them are employed in Florida. One of the highest employers.
Hospitality industry. Big Arg, Food processing . Hormel when they busted the union in Ottumwa become Excel almost overnight. Then slashed the pay in half and brought in illegals by the truck loads.
Unless the work around of E verify and subcontracting employment are addressed it doesn’t matter much. They’ll still come.

Come on man…..

Binden has more apprehensions due to saying the border is open while Trump said don’t come, the border is closed and you won’t be let in, you will be sent back. If you can’t see the difference in policies between the two admins and the outcomes of their policies then you aren’t being honest with yourself.

The border needs to be closed and people need to come to the US the legal way. Yes, people should be able to seek asylum but not just flow across the border as what is happening. Both sides need to come up with real world solutions to this ongoing problem.

My solution is to meet with Mexico and Latin American leaders to discuss keeping their people home by improving their standard of living, bring jobs to these countries by asking the companies manufacturing in China to open facilities in these countries to educate and give these people the jobs they want in their home countries and get out of China. The US has to work with Canada, Mexico, and Latin America to compete against our enemies in China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea. Continue to support Israel, South Korea, and Japan. Taiwan Too.
When did Biden ever say the border was open? If this is the cornerstone of your argument you had better be able to point to him saying this.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
It's a simple question. Do you think Biden is doing nothing at the border?
Lol why don't you snswer my simple question dipstick? Lol

I dont think Biden is doing nothing obviously. I think he's not doing enough. I think asking everyone to surge to the border was wreckless and devastating.

I do. He continues to kick the can and even Dems from sanctuary cities are saying he isn't doing shit.
If you want to claim that he is doing no more or less than any other president before him, that's fair. But the claim that he has done nothing is patently absurd. Why do you think the Rs pinned their impeachment hopes on Hunter? If they had anything on the border, they would have chosen that instead.

Lol why don't you snswer my simple question dipstick? Lol

I dont think Biden is doing nothing obviously. I think he's not doing enough. I think asking everyone to surge to the border was wreckless and devastating.
No, but his administration is damn sure more worried about shit like "historically racist highway routing"....

Thank you for admitting that he is doing something. And when did Biden ask everyone to surge to the border? Be specific

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT