ADVERTISEMENT

grain bin death has to be near top of worst ways to die list

All suffocation deaths would be awful. Growing up on a farm, I can imagine getting buried in corn or soybeans. It would be dry as opposed to drowning, but that wouldn't make it any less horrific.

We almost had 4 people suffocate in a corn bin north of Mt. Vernon this spring. 2 farmers opening up the bin and 2 passers-by driving on Hwy 1 who stopped to help. The rescuers helped before they almost got covered themselves.

What people forget now is that grain bins are so much bigger than they used to be. Some big farmers have bins & complexes that rival commercial grain elevators.

It is definitely a bad way to go. Rivals drowning, getting killed by a shark or gator, or being fed through a wood chipper.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I went down a YouTube rabbit hole one night watching videos of people using sledge hammers or power equipment to knock out the bases of old silos to topple them over. Some of them were darn close, but nobody died in the videos I watched. Watching people haul ass to get out of the way of a toppling silo is pretty entertaining. I think you have to be either really dumb or very experienced in doing something like that. Most of the videos I watched were firmly in the really dumb area.

I'll raise you "overcome by fumes in hog confinement" or "drowning in hog manure pit:

All suffocation deaths would be awful. Growing up on a farm, I can imagine getting buried in corn or soybeans. It would be dry as opposed to drowning, but that wouldn't make it any less horrific.

We almost had 4 people suffocate in a corn bin north of Mt. Vernon this spring. 2 farmers opening up the bin and 2 passers-by driving on Hwy 1 who stopped to help. The rescuers helped before they almost got covered themselves.

What people forget now is that grain bins are so much bigger than they used to be. Some big farmers have bins & complexes that rival commercial grain elevators.
Actually my understanding is that suffocation ain’t so bad as a way to go. Hypoxia is a quasi euphoric state

Actually my understanding is that suffocation ain’t so bad as a way to go. Hypoxia is a quasi euphoric state
The several minutes it takes to get there have got to be terrifying as you fight for breath but can't breathe and no there's no way to survive. After a few minutes, then yes you start to lose the awareness, but I imagine those few minutes are some of the worst.

We did that bullshit back in the day at parties. Pretty wild stuff. I don’t think I need to put a disclaimer, but don’t suffocate yourselves to get a high HORT.

• Wow
Reactions: HawkFan1298
Getting your nuts bit off by a Laplander would be the worst.

Actually fire or an animal attack (bear or shark) would be the worst way to go in my view.

JohnJonesStuck.jpg

I'll raise you "overcome by fumes in hog confinement" or "drowning in hog manure pit:

I read a story about some German soldiers in a Soviet POW camp during WW2 and they were all taking a crap on a wooden latrine, there were maybe 10 of them and the latrine collapsed and they fell in the giant sewer of filth and drowned.

• Wow
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Getting your nuts bit off by a Laplander would be the worst.

Actually fire or an animal attack (bear or shark) would be the worst way to go in my view.

Those would suck but would be relatively quick.

Getting trapped in a confined space and slowly starving to death over days could be worse.

A great family friend died in a grain bin accident a couple years ago in NW Iowa. He was inside and his harness broke. I can't even imagine.

• Sad
I interviewed a guy a while back who was “walking the grain” in a bin and got sucked in up to his chest thank God. They finally got him out after 6 hrs. I told him he was extremely fortunate. He said, “Oh I know”

I interviewed a guy a while back who was “walking the grain” in a bin and got sucked in up to his chest thank God. They finally got him out after 6 hrs. I told him he was extremely fortunate. He said, “Oh I know”

How deep was the bin?

Shit terrifies me. Me and my cousin used to climb up the bin at my house when it was full and jump in. We were 12-13 years old and 100 lbs so we never sank in much and would climb out. Never understood the risk at that age and of course didn't listen to my parents to stay away from the bin.

Growing up we had probably about a 20ft long steel shaft with an eye bend on one end. It was stored up on top of the overhead bins.

Dad told us a million times in a deathly serious tone to NEVER get into the bins without his permission and if there was any grain bridging to use the steel rod. Had several instances when the grain collapsed it was quite scary and I'm sure would have been quite lethal had someone climbed in.

No Pic had a family member die when a bin wall collapse and he was beside it. Instant crushing death..no suffering.

Bins can kill you in several ways....both quick and slow.

So there is a little backstory on this Yarmouth accident. Evidently the concrete structures were in bad shape and the owners were going to tear them down this summer. There was a recent inspection that had bad results

I read a story about some German soldiers in a Soviet POW camp during WW2 and they were all taking a crap on a wooden latrine, there were maybe 10 of them and the latrine collapsed and they fell in the giant sewer of filth and drowned.
Ruskies probably set it up to collapse for kicks.

Getting your clothes caught in a tractor PTO would be worse.
A good friend got his leg ripped off by a grain auger. Got an expensive helicopter ride to UIHC. Less than a year later he was diving for volleyballs, pain-free, on his new titanium leg.

We used to 'play' in the wagons as they emptied into the bins during harvest and 'sink' in the corn, you knew to always grab the chain so you didn't go under, in hindsight dumber than hell, but not even on the top 10 of dumb things we did that wouldn't fly today.

Reactions: veryold
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT