ADVERTISEMENT

grain bin death has to be near top of worst ways to die list

Not a typical grain bin death. This is more of a crushing.

Having done several grain bin rescue scenarios they say you suffocate because you get corn in your nose and mouth and essentially choke - which would be awful. There have been cases where farmers who pulled their shirt over their face before going under had survived hours. The problem with these is the amount of time that usually elapses between going under and someone figuring out what happened and to expect these calls to be recoveries rather than rescues.

Having done several grain bin rescue scenarios they say you suffocate because you get corn in your nose and mouth and essentially choke - which would be awful. There have been cases where farmers who pulled their shirt over their face before going under had survived hours. The problem with these is the amount of time that usually elapses between going under and someone figuring out what happened and to expect these calls to be recoveries rather than rescues.

If someone went under, would they be able to pull a cell phone from their pocket to call 911 or would that be near impossible?

Magic legs.
Advances in medical technology. Benefited from the guys getting their legs blown off in Iraq by IUD's and artillery. I guess something good came from that altercation after all.

I knew a guy that was out chopping down a tree in a wooded acreage he owned, the tree fell on him and pinned him down crushing his chest and he died after a day of laying there before someone found him. Can't imagine how horrible that would have been just laying there waiting to die.

• Sad
Reactions: HawkFan1298
If someone went under, would they be able to pull a cell phone from their pocket to call 911 or would that be near impossible?
When we trained our "victim" always was up to their hips, at least after jumping into the corn, so pants pockets might not be available. A lot of farmer I see carry their phone in their shirt pockets.

In case anyone is wondering how you'd rescue someone stuck that way, we have 6' tall metal cylinder that if stood on end, would break into 5 vertical sections. You drives those into the corn around the victim and lock them together. Then we take a small auger run by an electric drill, stick it down the inside of the cylinder and remove the corn. It works well when the person is conscious, but if they aren't, its tough.

Auger_and_Tube_2-300x300.jpg

I remember my grandfather being the nicest person I can recall but he used a tone of voice I had never heard when I was a kid to yell at me about playing in the grain wagons (that and avoiding the new mama sows and if you get lost in the field, walk with the rows, not across).

40 plus years later still remember those three warnings.

What a horrible way to go.

When I was in high school there was a kid who was feeding hogs and slipped and fell backwards. He instinctively put his arms back to catch himself; right onto a spinning PTO (no guard of course). Both arms got ripped off. His parents weren’t home so he walked in the house, dialed 911 with a pencil in his mouth and waited in the bathtub so he wouldn’t get blood on the floor. They ended up attaching both arms but he never really had use of them. I couldn’t how long that wait must have seemed.

Advances in medical technology. Benefited from the guys getting their legs blown off in Iraq by IUD's and artillery. I guess something good came from that altercation after all.
Awesome. But this was a reference to Forest Gump seeing his friend LT. Dan walk across his lawn before getting married....you know......"you have magic legs....."

I know the guys who were working the rescue on this incident. I’m telling you they worked their asses off trying to save this guy. There was apparently a pit with an offshoot tunnel close to where he was during the collapse and they thought he had a chance to make that tunnel. Apparently not. They were able to work 20 minute shifts working before they were cycled out because of the heat. It’s hard to imagine how hard those men and women were working on the rescue. Kudos.

As a side note, a number of years ago I was working incident command when a grain bin collapsed in Hillsboro. I can’t remember how many bushels, hundreds of thousands, made a tidal wave. It was enough to sweep away and tear up a two story house next to the bin. No one was killed in that one.

Before the HIPAA police arrive, everything in this post is publicly available information.

Similar in nature, but I think even worse are those poor souls buried alive in collapsed buildings after earthquakes or failure who somehow are trapped in tiny voids, unable to really even move for days as they lay going mad, praying for rescue. I wonder if the lucky people they do rescue many days after such a collapse are ever normal again after surviving such a traumatic event.

Not going to waste my time looking it up for you, but as someone who has been making artificial limbs for 30 years, I might know something.
That's ok. I believe you. It's still getting a return on tax $ collected.

Reactions: ericram
I’ve been involved in a number of “drowning would be the worst way to die” discussions. It comes up all the time.

And I am telling you… in every single one - no matter who was involved or how many people - there is ALWAYS the “ Hypoxia is a quasi euphoric state” guy in the crowd.

And F that dude. Drowning would be awful.

“Pre-Hypoxia” would be a good band name though

Really pisses me off. My night would be ruined if I didn’t have sledge hammer silo videos to watch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT