ADVERTISEMENT

Great draw

Yep, very good draw and I hope we come to play to take advantage of it. This could be fun if we play like we are capable of.

While I agree they got a favorable 1st week draw, ISU is a strong 3 seed, and Duke is definitely not the worst 1 seed considering they beat another 1 seed on their floor, and have the #1 pick in the draft. I'd say NOVA's the weakest easy..

We get by Davidsen good thing we have been a good road team because it will definitely be a home game for gonzaga.

I will happy to win one, that will be tough and I don't think the Hawks can do that.

Agreed. Congratulations on a good season Best wishes for deep run in the Tourney.

Davidson actually scares me. They were reg-season winners of a very strong A10 this year and can shoot lights out on some nights. Iowa will have to be on and possibly trade baskets for a long stretch.

That said, Gonzaga is about the best matchup we couldve hoped for at a 2.

Originally posted by wyohawk:
Davidson actually scares me. They were reg-season winners of a very strong A10 this year and can shoot lights out on some nights. Iowa will have to be on and possibly trade baskets for a long stretch.

If Davidson would play defense, they would scare me more. But I like the fact that they give up 70 pts a game in the Atlantic 10.

Originally posted by navyrules:

If Davidson would play defense, they would scare me more. But I like the fact that they give up 70 pts a game in the Atlantic 10.
Valid. A10 also doesnt have a ton of quality big men so Iowa's size and length may be a new wrinkle for them as well.

My key is that Iowa struggles in Hockey games and wins Basketball games.

Davidson will be a basketball game.

Originally posted by DanL53:

My key is that Iowa struggles in Hockey games and wins Basketball games.

Davidson will be a basketball game.
Really Dan this is it in a nutshell with me as well, Davidson as well as Gonzaga are not real physical teams, That is why I think we couldn't have asked for a better draw, Does it mean we win, Of course not, I think it just gives us the best chance at advancing.

B1G teams get away with a physical style because of B1G officiating. It will be interesting if The officiating in the tournament will alow physical play. The fact Davidson and the Zags don't play a physical style could make things hard on some of Iowa's guys.

Neither Davidson nor the Zags have seen size like Iowa has all year.
If we pound it inside like we did agains Indiana & Maryland they will have no chance against us.
We will come in rested and ready to play.
I like our chances to get to sweet 16.

Originally posted by Steve Waite:
If we pound it inside like we did agains Indiana & Maryland they will have no chance against us.
Well you seem to have the barometer of this team as I recall that you correctly predicted 12-6 B10 and stood by it even when it looked bleak at 6-6. so I'm counting on your forecast for the NCAA tourney

Originally posted by nu2u:

Originally posted by Steve Waite:
Well you seem to have the barometer of this team as I recall that you correctly predicted 12-6 B10 and stood by it even when it looked bleak at 6-6. so I'm counting on your forecast for the NCAA tourney

Me too! This is the guy. Steve Waite the handicapper.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Yep, very good draw and I hope we come to play to take advantage of it. This could be fun if we play like we are capable of.
It's only a good draw if you win, and win more than once preferably, which history says isn't happening.

Edit: That said, it's a new year, different team, new day, etc. All things are possible until snuffed out by reality.............

This post was edited on 3/15 7:09 PM by sloehawk

Hell, I don't mind the home game for the Zags. We play better as a true road team than we do on a neutral floor.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

It's only a good draw if you win, and win more than once preferably, which history says isn't happening.

Edit: That said, it's a new year, different team, new day, etc. All things are possible until snuffed out by reality.............

Say what? Its only a good draw if you win?

I have little confidence in this team and coach... Losing in the BTT first round the past couple of years where they were clearly favorites, losing the play-in game last year, losing some early season tourney games despite playing tough... I can see us losing Friday despite being the better seed, hope they play well and win a few games in the tourney but realistically, I just don't see it playing out well based on recent history.

This is as good of a draw as that for which any Hawk fan could have reasonably hoped.

If the boys come out early, get some inside game going, hit some shots and build confidence from that they could pound Davidson, very small team.

Let's hope good Hawks vs. bad Hawks appear Friday night.

Originally posted by BubsFinn:
Hell, I don't mind the home game for the Zags. We play better as a true road team than we do on a neutral floor.
Actually home floor for them is actually in Spokane. So it is probably more equivalent to UNI and Syracuse playing on "neutral courts" this year, but playing closer to home (though UNI game was close to Iowa as well).

I got to watch Gonzaga a couple times in their tourney. Arvidas Sabonis' kid is going to be a handful as he grows and looked like a good player now. Veteran team, they got height and experience. 3 guys 6'10" or taller that play a lot and well. Played a few decent-good teams non-con (won all), one great one (lost at AZ by 3).

Iowa has to beat Davidson though to even look ahead. It is a better draw than I expected, but anything less than beating Davidson is a lousy ending.

One could argue Iowa got a good "draw" against Northwestern State, I would argue it was a pretty shitty "draw" because they beat us.

I would think that would be the defining criteria, versus "geez I think we have a good draw", and then give all kinds of ridiculous reasons why that would be so. All that goes out the window, especially if you lose the 1st game.

Not saying I'm right or there is only one explanation, but the mere fact a "draw" is completely arguable as to how "good" or "bad" it is, suggests it's conjecture and B.S. until the games are actually won and lost.

There is only one team with a "good draw", the one that wins the whole shebang.

But that may just be me, others can feel free to determine their own definitions.

One could argue Iowa got a good "draw" against Northwestern State, I would argue it was a pretty shitty "draw" because they beat us.

I would think that would be the defining criteria, versus "geez I think we have a good draw", and then give all kinds of ridiculous reasons why that would be so. All that goes out the window, especially if you lose the 1st game.

Not saying I'm right or there is only one explanation, but the mere fact a "draw" is completely arguable as to how "good" or "bad" it is, suggests it's conjecture and B.S. until the games are actually won and lost.

But that may just be me, others can feel free to determine their own definitions.
This doesn't make any sense. So you're saying the San Antonio Spurs had and easier draw last year in the NBA just because they won. Going up against Dallas, Portland, and OKC is a much harder draw than Miami had in the east. Sometimes talent wins out no matter the draw but give me the easiest draw on paper.

Determining whether your draw is good or bad is an exercise of prospective analysis.

Applying retroactive analysis renders the exercise meaningless.

Difference between last year's team and this one

Last year's team peed their pants down the stretch whereas this one strung some wins together. But the Hawkeyes remain inconsistent. I agree, this bracket looks very beatable, except for maybe Duke and maybe someone else will get lucky and knock them off. Iowa should crush Davidson unless our boys decide to wet themselves again in the big moment. Gonzaga is a poser every year in my opinion. Yes, they schedule reasonably well but when they play such weak competition in the WCC, it's bound to show when they play a high major school. Now if Iowa gets to play ISU or UCLA and gets to embarrass them in the process, PLEASE let it happen. Sick of the Clowns defiling our HAWKEYE board.

Originally posted by dekhawk:
I will happy to win one, that will be tough and I don't think the Hawks can do that.
Well maybe Iowa will beat Davidson and shock you and the rest of the world.
roll.r191677.gif

I wonder if Iowa and Northern Iowa fans will cheer for each other in each of their games to help give them more of a home court advantage. Especially if both win and are playing back to back games on Sunday.

Originally posted by SpartanHawk:
I wonder if Iowa and Northern Iowa fans will cheer for each other in each of their games to help give them more of a home court advantage. Especially if both win and are playing back to back games on Sunday.
Without a doubt. The question is frankly how many of either will make the trip.

I would think both teams will cheer for one another... They played with each other a lot during the AAU or Prime Time League and they are representing the state.

Re: Difference between last year's team and this one

Originally posted by IronFist1776:
Last year's team peed their pants down the stretch whereas this one strung some wins together. But the Hawkeyes remain inconsistent. I agree, this bracket looks very beatable, except for maybe Duke and maybe someone else will get lucky and knock them off. Iowa should crush Davidson unless our boys decide to wet themselves again in the big moment. Gonzaga is a poser every year in my opinion. Yes, they schedule reasonably well but when they play such weak competition in the WCC, it's bound to show when they play a high major school. Now if Iowa gets to play ISU or UCLA and gets to embarrass them in the process, PLEASE let it happen. Sick of the Clowns defiling our HAWKEYE board.
Just to point out there are a lot of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 seeded teams in this tourny with fans who can say this in bold....a bunch of them with 8 to 11 loses in the season and at least the Hawks beat a couple of 4 seeds in North Carolina and Maryland. We are not the only fan base saying this.

You should've seen the Carolina Boards after they lost to ND in the tourny....saying the same dang things of inconsistency and had enough of their team...crazy shit of course. We can get to Sweet Sixteen just as easy as the next team... a lot of teams can say this too but some will have a riskier path to get there. I really like Iowa's path, I like the risk. I like getting out of the Big Ten play too with this team with the way it's been playing this last month.

Without a doubt. The question is frankly how many of either will make the trip.
I've just sent an email to someone I hope to hook up with to go up there from Portland. One advantage to losing my job a couple of weeks ago, is that I'll have some time to go up there on Friday and maybe Sunday. Just not sure if I can afford the tickets from the scalpers online now. Are there ways to get them through Univ. of Iowa for alumni? I'll take donations from those who might want to help more Iowa fans attend! :)

Another advantage is that Iowa and UNI fans can sell tickets to each other for the third session if only one team advances, and by doing so ensure that more Iowa fans are cheering on the teams there, and perhaps be less likely to eat the cost of a ticket if one's team doesn't advance.

Re: Difference between last year's team and this one

It all depends on how well our zone moves and contests open looks.

I didn't think we could beat Indiana playing zone with their shooters, and the Hawks proved me wrong.

Here's a pic from the last time Iowa played in the post season up here in the Northwest when they played Oregon in the NIT. Oregon had to score 61 points in the second half to beat them when Iowa did pretty well offensively with Roy Devyn Marble getting 31 in that game. It was Matt Gatens last game as a Hawkeye. Hoping that Aaron White is motivated to make his last game more memorable and have Iowa win a couple of games up here next week!

IMAG0004.jpg

Here's a pic from the last time Iowa played in the post season up here in the Northwest when they played Oregon in the NIT. Oregon had to score 61 points in the second half to beat them when Iowa did pretty well offensively with Roy Devyn Marble getting 31 in that game. It was Matt Gatens last game as a Hawkeye. Hoping that Aaron White is motivated to make his last game more memorable and have Iowa win a couple of games up here next week!

ec
I was just in Eugene, Oregon today. Actually all weekend as my daughter had a gymnastics meet. I went into the Duck Store and asked the clerk if it was tough keeping all 55 school colors on the shelf. Pretty neat store though.

Originally posted by perryhawk:
I think it's as good as we could hope for and I can't wait for it to get started!
Posted from Rivals Mobile
yeah, i think a 7 was as good as we could have hoped for

one game at a time but Davidson should be a good 2nd round game and Gonzaga as a 2 seed? I will take that, if both Iowa and Gonzaga would win their games

Lets hope our D continues to be good and that we shoot at least 45% from the field.

I think ISU will be in the round of 16, which would be crazy if Iowa is fortunate to win both Friday and Sunday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT