ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest coach in Iowa basketball history

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
My buddy and I got into a discussion of whom the greatest coach (high school or college) was. I think I have a winner. Bud McLearn, who was a 6 on 6 girls coach (mainly at Mediapolis High School) has unreal numbers. They is hard to believe. He coached 28 years, 26 at Mediapolis. His career record was 706 wins and 30 losses. That is a 89.8 winning percentage. It gets even better. At Mediapolis on their home court he was 333 wins…8 losses!!! That included winning streaks of 97, 84, and 66 games. Are you kidding me. After looking this up, I figured he had to have the best all time record….nope. He is 4th on the list. I haven’t researched the top 3.

My buddy and I got into a discussion of whom the greatest coach (high school or college) was. I think I have a winner. Bud McLearn, who was a 6 on 6 girls coach (mainly at Mediapolis High School) has unreal numbers. They is hard to believe. He coached 28 years, 26 at Mediapolis. His career record was 706 wins and 30 losses. That is a 89.8 winning percentage. It gets even better. At Mediapolis on their home court he was 333 wins…8 losses!!! That included winning streaks of 97, 84, and 66 games. Are you kidding me. After looking this up, I figured he had to have the best all time record….nope. He is 4th on the list. I haven’t researched the top 3.
706 divided by 736 equals 95.92%.

Dear God those teams with the 8 wins should have hung banners at home after those games. That's crazy!

Winningest coach in Iowa was Gene Kline, girls coach at West Central Maynard and Waylon. He was 1009 wins with 252 losses.!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT