ADVERTISEMENT

Greenfield tornado had wind speeds of 300+ mph

Did it hit the hospital square on? That’s one thing I heard, and seems to check with the one storm track I’ve seen. You figure a hospital is built sturdy, and they would have a plan to move everyone to a secure spot when the warning was issued.
I don’t really know much about it other than it was massive dead man walking tornado.

Since they've enhanced the scale, there have only been 9 EF5. There have been plenty capable of the rating but didn't hit anything, which is why they stay down around EF3 and EF4.

I believe that's why El Reno 2013 was originally rated an F3 (but subsequently rated a radar estimated EF5).

Even though it's the largest size-wise recorded, it mostly was out in farm fields. The damage just wasn't on the scale of for example the 2013 and 1999 Moore storms.

From wikipedia...

"On August 30, the National Weather Service office in Norman once again revised the intensity of the El Reno tornado. Keli Pirtle, a Public Affairs worker at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, stated that, "despite the radar-measured wind speeds, the survey team did not find damage that would support a rating higher than EF3. While the wind measurements from the mobile radars are considered reliable, NWS policy for determining EF-ratings is based on surveys of ground damage. "The lack of EF5 damage was likely a result of the rural nature of the area, as the sub-vortices that contained the EF5 wind speeds did not impact any structures." "

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT