ADVERTISEMENT

HAPPY SUNDAY!!! Is Raising Your Kids Without Religion Better?

Do you believe that humans were created from dirt or do you believe in evolution? How old do you believe the earth is?
I realize you didn't ask me, but I'm sure you're good with me chiming in. :) Keep in mind, I've been diging into apologetics lately (a more meaningful endeavor than weaponized evangelicalism) Personally, I believe that the Genesis creation story, evolution, and theories like the Big Bang can be easily harmonized. God creating humans from "dirt" can be seen as a theological statement about our origins and relationship with the Creator, rather than a literal scientific description. Some scholars suggest that Moses, educated in Egypt (The Prince of Egypt was a good flick, btw), may have used symbolic and allegorical language familiar in ancient Near Eastern literature to convey deeper truths. This way, God's "let there be light" could metaphorically (or literally) represent the Big Bang, with the six days of creation aligning with key stages in cosmic and biological evolution. This interpretation allows for seeing God's hand in the process of evolution, viewing it as a tool used by God to bring about the diversity of life we see today.

As for "How old do you believe the earth is?"...I don't adhere to a specific timeline since I believe God exists outside of time and the exact duration isn't central to my faith. The Earth being billions of years old, as supported by scientific evidence, doesn't conflict with my belief in God. There's no reason Genesis' days can't represent long periods rather than 24-hour days. ANd if that's the case, then the Bible essentially addresses the "why" of creation while science explains the "how." ...or maybe both.

8w7qrx.jpg

Last edited:
I’m a believer in Christ. That being said, Christianity is being weaponized by the Republican Party in a very dangerous way, and because of that I cannot say whether religion is a net positive or negative. There is no longer a separation of church and state and it’s taking freedoms away from US citizens.

but religion isn't the only or even best way to have this outlook/experience
Undoubtedly, but it’s an awfully good start. Job 38 has been around quite a while after all.

And certainly compared to todays sartrian/nietschzian “my truth” it is miles ahead at the start.

Last edited:
I realize you didn't ask me, but I'm sure you're good with me chiming in. :) Keep in mind, I've been diging into apologetics lately (a more meaningful endeavor than weaponized evangelicalism) Personally, I believe that the Genesis creation story, evolution, and theories like the Big Bang can be easily harmonized. God creating humans from "dirt" can be seen as a theological statement about our origins and relationship with the Creator, rather than a literal scientific description. Some scholars suggest that Moses, educated in Egypt (The Prince of Egypt was a good flick, btw), may have used symbolic and allegorical language familiar in ancient Near Eastern literature to convey deeper truths. This way, God's "let there be light" could metaphorically (or literally) represent the Big Bang, with the six days of creation aligning with key stages in cosmic and biological evolution. This interpretation allows for seeing God's hand in the process of evolution, viewing it as a tool used by God to bring about the diversity of life we see today.

As for "How old do you believe the earth is?"...I don't adhere to a specific timeline since I believe God exists outside of time and the exact duration isn't central to my faith. The Earth being billions of years old, as supported by scientific evidence, doesn't conflict with my belief in God. There's no reason Genesis' days can't represent long periods rather than 24-hour days. ANd if that's the case, then the Bible essentially addresses the "why" of creation while science explains the "how." ...or maybe both.

8w7qrx.jpg
OK - to me, that simply demonstrates the lengths believers will go to reconcile the teachings of the Bible. It's akin to the spin we see from the far right these days. People will jump through a lot of hoops and rationalizations to keep their preconceptions intact.

I’m a believer in Christ. That being said, Christianity is being weaponized by the Republican Party in a very dangerous way, and because of that I cannot say whether religion is a net positive or negative. There is no longer a separation of church and state and it’s taking freedoms away from US citizens.
At a gut level there is some unfortunate truth here, though it’s a fine line to simply questioning someone’s version of their faith.

Reactions: BrianNole777
OK - to me, that simply demonstrates the lengths believers will go to reconcile the teachings of the Bible. It's akin to the spin we see from the far right these days. People will jump through a lot of hoops and rationalizations to keep their preconceptions intact.
It’s not as if the concept of metaphor was invented in the 20th century.

The teachings of Christ in no way align with the radicalized Christian right’s actions of today.
I don’t know I’d say “in no way”. Christianity is about both justice (in the sense of “The Law”) AND mercy. Unfortunately to my eye, they’re overweighted to the justice side in a little bit of an Old Testament way. But that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: zappaa
I love my faith in Christ… you may be embarrassed for me, that’s fine with me.

Because you believe the alternative is “to spend eternity in hell fire.” Nice little toxic relationship you’ve gotten yourself conned into.

As one anonymous Mauthausen concentration camp inmate etched on their cell wall, “If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness.”

Epicurus was onto something:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Children raised in a religion do better according to most of the studies.

America is now an atheist majority country with 80% of Americans no longer attending Church each Sunday.

Gen Z is the most mentally unhealthy generation in a long time and also the most secular.

"The results showed that people who attended religious services at least weekly in childhood and adolescence were approximately 18% more likely to report higher happiness as young adults (ages 23–30) than those who never attended services. They were also 29% more likely to volunteer in their communities and 33% less likely to use illicit drugs.

Those who prayed or meditated at least daily while growing up were 16% more likely to report higher happiness as young adults, 30% less likely to have started having sex at a young age, and 40% less likely to have a sexually transmitted infection compared to those who never prayed or meditated."

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Children raised in a religion do better according to most of the studies.

America is now an atheist majority country with 80% of Americans no longer attending Church each Sunday.

Gen Z is the most mentally unhealthy generation in a long time and also the most secular.

"The results showed that people who attended religious services at least weekly in childhood and adolescence were approximately 18% more likely to report higher happiness as young adults (ages 23–30) than those who never attended services. They were also 29% more likely to volunteer in their communities and 33% less likely to use illicit drugs.

Those who prayed or meditated at least daily while growing up were 16% more likely to report higher happiness as young adults, 30% less likely to have started having sex at a young age, and 40% less likely to have a sexually transmitted infection compared to those who never prayed or meditated."

You, and others like you, believing that not attending church equates to atheism is one of the reasons fewer people are attending church.

Likewise the insufferability that suggests happiness is equated to christianity.

Many do. There are lots of saints in Churches but they don't get publicity.

I met an older couple this weekend and the wife went to a mall and bought a load of men's shirts and pants she's going to give to the homeless.
I apologize I never intended to say all but there are so many who no longer follow his teachings but still try and call themselves Christians because they go to church.

Many do. There are lots of saints in Churches but they don't get publicity.

I met an older couple this weekend and the wife went to a mall and bought a load of men's shirts and pants she's going to give to the homeless.
That's another fatal flaw in the logic - assuming people who say they do good deeds are good, christian people.

You, and others like you, believing that not attending church equates to atheism is one of the reasons fewer people are attending church.

Likewise the insufferability that suggests happiness is equated to chrisrs tianity.
A lot of people like myself are followers but dont want to atten churches led by pastors that have the same persona as politicians. Thanks to Morris, Hybel and others.

Some.

Judaism is both an ethnicity and religion. They're also only 2% of the American population.
You're dancing. Those of Jewish faith, they don't attend church. By your measure they are atheists. Muslims too.

Are only Americans atheists in your view?

Reactions: Ree4
You're dancing. Those of Jewish faith, they don't attend church. By your measure they are atheists. Muslims too.

Are only Americans atheists in your view?

I don't believe not attending Church or a religious service automatically makes a person an atheist but it's a good indicator.

It's impossible to accurately guage this since no one can know the true answer except God so I ballpark it. :)

I don't believe not attending Church or a religious service automatically makes a person an atheist but it's a good indicator.

It's impossible to accurately guage this since no one can know the true answer except God so I ballpark it. :)
You're backing off your previous assertions. Still, you are quite judgemental.

Are those of the Jewish faith or Muslims or anyone who doesn't ascribe to christianity atheists in your view?

So you want to spend eternity in hell fire, that’s cool.
When you die and suddenly realize uh oh, there’s more to this…. It’ll be too late for you.
Enjoy

Please don't threaten atheists with Hellfire. I've done it many times and it's problematic because:

1.) It's blasphemy since only God can decide.

2.) It just pushes them away.

Heaven is a better incentive. I think we would all want eternal bliss. :)

No.

Jews and Muslims are a small minority of Americans, though.
So Americans are the only nationality that can be atheist?

This is where the wheels fall off for you and the others who buy into the church grift. There are huge holes in your philosophy that are exposed with a few simple questions. Not to mention the hypocrisy when you judge others (in this case as atheists) based on whether they attend a christian church regularly.

That's another fatal flaw in the logic - assuming people who say they do good deeds are good, christian people.
A lot of it is sacrifice where you have nothing to gain and it comes with a real sacrifice....and done not of trying to earn points.

Not tooting my horn as Im anonymous..

On a teachers salary the Mrs and I adopted a 5 and a 10 yo. We had luttle saviigs and had 4 kids already. Once you hear God speaking to you...you know it. So we did it. Youngest has severe health issue. Almost lost her in 2020. Her birth dad died of the condition. Parts of parentibg them are hard. Other parts quite easy.

It was crazy. We have 2 of the kindest humans ever as daughters. We are much less well off for doing this.

This year the other graduated summa cum laude and off to grad school. She went from being a fetal alcohol exposed human (we were told she' likely never be independent) war refugee to this. The naysayers about God... believe what you want.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Religion is just a way for those in power to spread fear and control the gullible rubes. It will be a great day for humanity when we leave all this religious nonsense behind and accept our fates as just another living organism that is lucky enough to live on this planet. We are NOT special.
Netflix Glassblowing GIF by Blown Away

Reactions: Ree4 and Urohawk
So Americans are the only nationality that can be atheist?

This is where the wheels fall off for you and the others who buy into the church grift. There are huge holes in your philosophy that are exposed with a few simple questions. Not to mention the hypocrisy when you judge others (in this case as atheists) based on whether they attend a christian church regularly.

What? I never claimed Americans are the only nationality that can be atheist. Europeans are even more atheist than Americans are.

I don't agree Church is a "grift." It's literally free each week.

Anyways, we won't agree so let's stop clogging up this thread. You can PM me if you want.

Religion is just a way for those in power to spread fear and control the gullible rubes. It will be a great day for humanity when we leave all this religious nonsense behind and accept our fates as just another living organism that is lucky enough to live on this planet. We are NOT special.
Netflix Glassblowing GIF by Blown Away

Religion is a way to GET SAVED, JP! :)

A lot of it is sacrifice where you have nothing to gain and it comes with a real sacrifice....and done not of trying to earn points.

Not tooting my horn as Im anonymous..

On a teachers salary the Mrs and I adopted a 5 and a 10 yo. We had luttle saviigs and had 4 kids already. Once you hear God speaking to you...you know it. So we did it. Youngest has severe health issue. Almost lost her in 2020. Her birth dad died of the condition. Parts of parentibg them are hard. Other parts quite easy.

It was crazy. We have 2 of the kindest humans ever as daughters. We are much less well off for doing this.

This year the other graduated summa cum laude and off to grad school. She went from being a fetal alcohol exposed human (we were told she' likely never be independent) war refugee to this. The naysayers about God... believe what you want.
How can you call it a sacrifice? You are being rewarded.

That's the hypocrisy I'm talking about. Bragging about the "sacrifice" while touting the tremendous rewards. GTFO.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
What? I never claimed Americans are the only nationality that can be atheist. Europeans are even more atheist than Americans are.

I don't agree Church is a "grift." It's literally free each week.

Anyways, we won't agree so let's stop clogging up this thread. You can PM me if you want.
You've been trying to limit the atheist discussion to just Americans. It's clear that you think anyone who doesn't go to a christian church regularly is an atheist. I think that's bullshit and highly hypocritical. You keep proving me correct.

I understand why you want to take this behind the scenes.

You've been trying to limit the atheist discussion to just Americans. It's clear that you think anyone who doesn't go to a christian church regularly is an atheist. I think that's bullshit and highly hypocritical. You keep proving me correct.

I understand why you want to take this behind the scenes.

I already explained my views on this to you...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT