ADVERTISEMENT

Harris: 25% tax on unrealized gains

Yeah, I am not worried about an unrealized gain tax. It is just virtually impossible to monitor and administer. You going to give those same people losses during down years? Yeah, sure thing.

44% capital gain tax? I don't support that either. 25 or 30% for the next bracket higher than the current 20% one? that would probably be ok and is something I can see and really don't have a problem with it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Any tax on unrealized gains is essentially theft IMO, not to mention...impossible to administrate.

For starters, how/who would determine the amount of any unrealized, read theoretical, gain?

jdtop7slqjr81.jpg

Reason #500 why any American working your ass off to give a better life for you and your family would be insane to vote for a liberal polician like Kamala.
Be pissed about abortion. I get it. But a policy like this matters FAR more to anyone grinding away, trying to save and investing for retirement.

The unrealized gain tax only applies to people worth more than $100,000,000 which I know includes everyone here but shouldn't apply to the unwashed masses

When billionaires sell 25% of their unrealized holdings what do you think will happen to the value of your 401K?

Besides the fact that they will have sold Trillions in advance of the policy going into effect?

is there any actual information about this support?

i don't want to impugn the sterling reputation of watcher.guru, but i'm one of those weirdos that actually likes to read information for myself BEFORE i get worked up in a tizzy

“Meet the Expert​

Dennis Shirshikov is a professor of finance, accounting and economics at the City University of New York. Not only does he hold a stellar 4.9-out-of-five rating from RateMyProfessor, but he also has firsthand experience building and maintaining wealth through changes in parties, administrations and policies.“

“The wealth tax Shirshikov references comes from the official Biden-Harris 2025 budget proposal, which reads, “The tax code currently offers special treatment for the types of income that wealthy people enjoy. While the wages and salaries that everyday Americans earn are taxed as ordinary income, billionaires make their money in ways that are taxed at lower rates, and sometimes not taxed at all. This special treatment, combined with sophisticated tax planning and giant loopholes, allows many of the wealthiest Americans to pay lower rates on their full income than many middle-class households pay. To finally address this glaring inequity, the budget includes a 25% minimum tax on the wealthiest 0.01%, those with a wealth of more than $100 million.

“Meet the Expert​

Dennis Shirshikov is a professor of finance, accounting and economics at the City University of New York. Not only does he hold a stellar 4.9-out-of-five rating from RateMyProfessor, but he also has firsthand experience building and maintaining wealth through changes in parties, administrations and policies.“

“The wealth tax Shirshikov references comes from the official Biden-Harris 2025 budget proposal, which reads, “The tax code currently offers special treatment for the types of income that wealthy people enjoy. While the wages and salaries that everyday Americans earn are taxed as ordinary income, billionaires make their money in ways that are taxed at lower rates, and sometimes not taxed at all. This special treatment, combined with sophisticated tax planning and giant loopholes, allows many of the wealthiest Americans to pay lower rates on their full income than many middle-class households pay. To finally address this glaring inequity, the budget includes a 25% minimum tax on the wealthiest 0.01%, those with a wealth of more than $100 million.
and you think the bolded part is specifically referring to a tax on unrealized capital gains?

Are you retarded or financially illiterate?
Dude, I could probably buy and sell you 50 times over. I didn't get there by being either of those things, and your comments are offensive. Now, stop acting like your knowledge of these matters extends beyond what you pick up off the internet and post here. You're embarrassing yourself.

Dude, I could probably buy and sell you 50 times over. I didn't get there by being either of those things, and your comments are offensive. Now, stop acting like your knowledge of these matters extends beyond what you pick up off the internet and post here. You're embarrassing yourself.

Why should I trust your retarded ass more than Tom Lee?

because I asked for actual information or a link to a stated policy?

I provided a link. Then you say this?

and you think the bolded part is specifically referring to a tax on unrealized capital gains?

Being obtuse?

What percentage of assets of people with >$100M in wealth is in unrealized gains you think?

What will these people sell in order to raise the cash to pay these taxes?

Real property or their own private businesses or equities or what?

Pick any asset class this will gut the US stock market.

This is asset confiscation by the government.

They already spend more than they take in. This will simply expand the scope and reach of the government further and further.

Some of you want to live in Sweden, move there!

Last edited:
Legendary investor Tom Lee weighs in. I don’t think most people appreciate how horrible this policy would be nor the repercussions.

i’m not in favor of getting taxed on unrealized gains of 401ks or even stocks but cryptocurrency is different. seems to be a speculative enterprise to avoid taxation while not contributing to innovation (by the taking on risk of real world projects)
also it’s supposedly a currency, we do get taxed on interest gains in savings accounts and cds.

i’m not in favor of getting taxed on unrealized gains of 401ks or even stocks but cryptocurrency is different. seems to be a speculative enterprise to avoid taxation while not contributing to innovation (by the taking on risk of real world projects)

Crypto is already tracked and taxed. One must declare any crypto holdings and gain/loss on your tax returns.

I provided a link. Then you say this?

Being obtuse?
that part doesn't explicitly say anything about a tax on unrealized gains. I hope we can agree on that

so, are we supposed to just intuit the part about the unrealized gains? is that specifically referenced elsewhere?

I'd also point out that this is referring to the Biden ffy 2025 budget proposal, not anything specific to Harris campaign. Of course its reasonable to think her campaign would have a lot in common with Biden admin proposals, but it's not necessarily automatic.

so, no, I'm not being obtuse. whenever someone posts something like this without any link or direct info, it raises a red flag for me

I tend to want to read and understand things for myself...not just regurgitate social media content

that part doesn't explicitly say anything about a tax on unrealized gains. I hope we can agree on that

so, are we supposed to just intuit the part about the unrealized gains? is that specifically referenced elsewhere?

I'd also point out that this is referring to the Biden ffy 2025 budget proposal, not anything specific to Harris campaign. Of course its reasonable to think her campaign would have a lot in common with Biden admin proposals, but it's not necessarily automatic.

so, no, I'm not being obtuse. whenever someone posts something like this without any link or direct info, it raises a red flag for me

I tend to want to read and understand things for myself...not just regurgitate social media content

“The combination of policies would move the tax code further away from simplicity, transparency, and neutrality, while making the US economy less competitive.

Major provisions not modeled:​

• Repeal the base erosion and anti-abuse tax (BEAT) and replace it with an undertaxed profits rule (UTPR) consistent with the OECD/G20 global minimum tax model rules
  • Replace FDII with unspecified R&D incentives
  • Create a 25 percent “billionaire minimum tax” to tax unrealized capital gains of high-net-worth taxpayers

Reason #500 why any American working your ass off to give a better life for you and your family would be insane to vote for a liberal polician like Kamala.
Be pissed about abortion. I get it. But a policy like this matters FAR more to anyone grinding away, trying to save and investing for retirement.
Exactly!! 80% of this board is on the ****ing dole......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT