ADVERTISEMENT

Harris: 25% tax on unrealized gains

“The combination of policies would move the tax code further away from simplicity, transparency, and neutrality, while making the US economy less competitive.

Major provisions not modeled:​

• Repeal the base erosion and anti-abuse tax (BEAT) and replace it with an undertaxed profits rule (UTPR) consistent with the OECD/G20 global minimum tax model rules
  • Replace FDII with unspecified R&D incentives
  • Create a 25 percent “billionaire minimum tax” to tax unrealized capital gains of high-net-worth taxpayers
I read that too, but can't find a reference to the unrealized gains tax in the actual budget

and I'll again point out that this is the Biden admin budget proposal, not a Harris campaign proposal or platform

I read that too, but can't find a reference to the unrealized gains tax in the actual budget

and I'll again point out that this is the Biden admin budget proposal, not a Harris campaign proposal or platform

Harris Backs Tax Increases Proposed by Biden​

By
Andrew Restucci
and
Richard Rubin

Vice President Kamala Harris supports the tax increases President Biden put forward in his recent budget proposal, according to her campaign. Biden’s budget plan includes a slew of revenue raisers, including a proposed 25% minimum tax on individuals with more than $100 million in wealth.

“Requires Billionaires to Pay at Least 25 Percent of Income in Taxes. Billionaires make their money in ways that are often taxed at lower rates than ordinary wage income, or sometimes not taxed at all, thanks to giant loopholes and tax preferences that disproportionately benefit the wealthiest taxpayers. As a result, many of these wealthy Americans are able to pay an average income tax rate of just 8 percent on their full incomes—a lower rate than many firefighters or teachers. To finally address this glaring inequity, the President’s Budget includes a 25 percent minimum tax on the wealthiest 0.01 percent, those with wealth of more than $100 million.”

or sometimes not taxed at all”

“or sometimes not taxed at all”

or sometimes not taxed at all”

is there any actual information about this support?

i don't want to impugn the sterling reputation of watcher.guru, but i'm one of those weirdos that actually likes to read information for myself BEFORE i get worked up in a tizzy
It’s being talked about by several sources.

The unrealized gain tax only applies to people worth more than $100,000,000 which I know includes everyone here but shouldn't apply to the unwashed masses
lol that some will have to now produce a balance sheet for the gubmint.

I have several, and a whole lot more besides, and no I'm not concerned about any of this, so neither should you. When I hit over $100 million I'll send it off to you to help you out. How's that?
You don’t see how this could potentially have a down stream effect? Those over $100m will move even more money to overseas investments and it will surely impact the market, pooled investments and Alternative investment strategies. I am all for larger taxes on HNW individuals over $100m; but this is just a terrible idea IMO

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
If you are a Republican, you should hope that Harris gets elected and the democrats actually push their tax proposals through Congress. The fallout in the midterm elections would be utterly spectacular.

LOL. You are such a dumbsh*t. Why don't you spend 5 minutes educating yourself about what you are linking before you do it? LOL.

I think it’s hilarious that i just responded with proof after your post coincidentally making you look like a moron. I hadn’t seen your post when I replied. Lololol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

Page 82

Proposal

The proposal would impose a minimum tax of 25 percent on total income, generally inclusive of unrealized capital gains, for all taxpayers with wealth (that is, the difference obtained by subtracting liabilities from assets) greater than $100 million.

Straight from treasury.gov @jneffer
“Assets”: Coins? Art? Cars? Land? Houses? Stamps? Reputation?

Train wreck.

Preach brother!

When a billionaire has to sell $10B of stock in a year and the short sellers front run them and all the retail owners and 401K owners get completely screwed in the process, will you still be laughing?

Now multiply that times the “0.01%” or *33,000 Americans they intend to confiscate wealth from.

Along with the millions of savers with 401Ks who will inevitably be impacted unintentionally.

Last edited:
When a billionaire has to sell $10B of stock in a year and the short sellers front run them and all the retail owners and 401K owners get completely screwed in the process, will you still be laughing?

Now multiply that times the “0.01%” or 3,300,000 Americans they intend to confiscate wealth from.
I appreciate the info you provided

But I feel compelled to point out that .01% of 330,000,000 is 33,000.

If we actually vote for Kamala to become the next president we deserve what we get good and hard.

Trump is abrasive as **** to some but he isn’t going to take 25% of your 401k.

Actually he did during 2020.

I think it’s hilarious that i just responded with proof after your post coincidentally making you look like a moron. I hadn’t seen your post when I replied. Lololol
Nice try pretending to know this was about taxes on billionaires and not everyone. Do you have $100M in your 401k? I don't think people on this board are affected by this, so save your fearmongering for someone dumb enough to fall for it.

What will happen to 401Ks when 25% of wealth is taxed?

Answer the Goddamned question.
First of all it likely won't come to pass Chicken Little. It's a nearly 3 year old Biden plan that got no traction. Notice how no one was talking much about this until now? Nobody knows what the impact would be because details of what would be an incredibly complicated policy are non-existent. I think your $15k is safe. There. I answered your question. Happy?

First of all it likely won't come to pass Chicken Little. It's a nearly 3 year old Biden plan that got no traction. Notice how no one was talking much about this until now? Nobody knows what the impact would be because details of what would be an incredibly complicated policy are non-existent. I think your $15k is safe. There. I answered your question. Happy?

No.

I have several, and a whole lot more besides, and no I'm not concerned about any of this, so neither should you. When I hit over $100 million I'll send it off to you to help you out. How's that?
If you really have an investment plan, and aren't concerned about capital gains taxes going to 44.6% you are a complete idiot. The unrealized gains tax is just window dressing.

The fact it's being proposed at all shows economic illiteracy, whether or not it actually happens. The fact that you dismiss it tells us what we need to know about your economic and political sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT