ADVERTISEMENT

How about using young TEnds who have good speed as WRs?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I remember when Joe Pa retired and one of the seasons after that Bill O'Brien the head coach had several tall, lean TEnds playing a lot , splitting them out making mismatches on on shorter dbacks. Those TEnds really gave PSU a really good jump ball type passing game.

With a couple new TEnds coming in who probably havent bulked up in weight yet and if they have decent speed maybe they could also add to the passing game more as WRs. Work every receiver to get the most efficient passing game.

Lachey and Ostrenga are the two main TEnds but some of the others could help more with the WR position routes.

And really I hope KalebB and SethA improve a lot and are in great shape so they can just stay in the game most of the time.

I remember when Joe Pa retired and one of the seasons after that Bill O'Brien the head coach had several tall, lean TEnds playing a lot , splitting them out making mismatches on on shorter dbacks. Those TEnds really gave PSU a really good jump ball type passing game.

With a couple new TEnds coming in who probably havent bulked up in weight yet and if they have decent speed maybe they could also add to the passing game more as WRs. Work every receiver to get the most efficient passing game.

Lachey and Ostrenga are the two main TEnds but some of the others could help more with the WR position routes.

And really I hope KalebB and SethA improve a lot and are in great shape so they can just stay in the game most of the time.
Noah Fant

It's really difficult to determine if Iowa has good WR's on the roster or not. There is a lot that goes into completing a pass to a WR.

1. The design of the routes in combination with other receivers
2. The correct play call against the defense.
3. The timing of the route such that it is designed to get the player open at the correct time - the time when the QB is ready to throw,
4. The QB has to have time to throw the ball at the correct time
5. The QB has to be able to see the receiver.
6. The QB has to anticipate that the receiver will be open when the ball get there.
7. The QB has to throw the ball accurately.
8. The receiver has to catch the ball.

I could argue that the only thing on that list we have seen is #8, and that's why we don't think Iowa has good receivers - too many drops. Well catching a fast ball from Hill in a crowd ain't that easy. Maybe if they had more than one opportunity a game they might look better.

Consider this - Iowa has an excellent defense, yet opposing teams get wide open receivers quite often. How? Well, I don' think it's because everyone else has great receivers. It's because they have a much more sophisticated passing scheme than Iowa does. Every team does.

It's really difficult to determine if Iowa has good WR's on the roster or not. There is a lot that goes into completing a pass to a WR.

3. The timing of the route such that it is designed to get the player open at the correct time - the time when the QB is ready to throw,
6. The QB has to anticipate that the receiver will be open when the ball get there.

I could argue that the only thing on that list we have seen is #8, and that's why we don't think Iowa has good receivers - too many drops. Well catching a fast ball from Hill in a crowd ain't that easy. Maybe if they had more than one opportunity a game they might look better.

Consider this - Iowa has an excellent defense, yet opposing teams get wide open receivers quite often. How? Well, I don' think it's because everyone else has great receivers. It's because they have a much more sophisticated passing scheme than Iowa does. Every team does.
Iowa s scheme gives up what is in front of the backfield in the middle. Purdue feasted on this.

Iowa s scheme gives up what is in front of the backfield in the middle. Purdue feasted on this.
Yes they do. But, normally because the defensive backs are in conflict about which receiver to cover and they protect deep. Hopefully Lester can create some of that conflict next fall,

In regards to #1 and #2, I could swear reading that Lester said (paraphrasing) Iowa had been running routes to minimize the chances of turnovers and he planned to run more routes to better the chances of completions. At least I think I read that.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
In regards to #1 and #2, I could swear reading that Lester said (paraphrasing) Iowa had been running routes to minimize the chances of turnovers and he planned to run more routes to better the chances of completions. At least I think I read that.
Just one more way the Iowa offense failed.

Iowa plays a lot of zone which will have open receivers if the qb has time. Iowa defense works best with a pretty good pass rush

If You have athletic TEs who are good in the passing Game AND good blockers in the run Game You can go with multiple TEs and 1 WR and force the Defense to stay in base or heavy and get a lot of TE on LB matchups, and if the Defense goes dime or Nickle You can run into it and have Them out manned at the LOS, it is all about having the Players and an OC who can scheme and is not a mental midget. I think Iowa has the TEs this Year to do that the question is has the OC been upgraded past drooling and cursing level.

Reactions: uihawk82
If You have athletic TEs who are good in the passing Game AND good blockers in the run Game You can go with multiple TEs and 1 WR and force the Defense to stay in base or heavy and get a lot of TE on LB matchups, and if the Defense goes dime or Nickle You can run into it and have Them out manned at the LOS, it is all about having the Players and an OC who can scheme and is not a mental midget. I think Iowa has the TEs this Year to do that the question is has the OC been upgraded past drooling and cursing level.
And you made the most important point between Kirk's type of offense waiting for the play to be sent into the huddle, getting subs in, breaking the huddle to the formation and only having 15 seconds on the game clock. The ANF brothers mentioned how it is really hard to audibize if the QB cant do it on their own or are not allowed to.

Versus

It seems from some more knowledgeable people Lester's offense is a more RPO type thing where the OLline and QB can count the hats and the center calls out blocking assignments, the QB makes the same read, and can hand it off or throw the ball.

I hope the offense can boost up the output, heck even with 7 more first downs and 70 more yards of offense a game.

Helps if the offense doesn’t move backwards when we get within the 10’yard line.

And if we threw a pass across the goal line

I've tried to watch Iowa more and more in terms of their route trees since the 2021 season.

They are some of the most basic, uninspiring trash you will find in CFB.

And yes, I get that we've had open receivers before. It does happen where WRs aren't covered and assignments are blown.

But from a consistency aspect, under Brian Ferentz and the entire coordination of the passing game, they were otherwise absolutely pathetic.

I will give this new staff a couple games to suggest any kind of change is gonna take place, or if the focus needs to shift to.getting Kirk the f*** out so that the offense can finally evolve and not be a detriment to the rest of the team, regardless of how anyone else may feel about what that could do to us defensively.

And remember going into 2023, Brian said he was simplifying the offense to help get players open

Yet all we saw game after game was 3 targets within 2 yards of each other by the sideline

I've tried to watch Iowa more and more in terms of their route trees since the 2021 season.

They are some of the most basic, uninspiring trash you will find in CFB.

And yes, I get that we've had open receivers before. It does happen where WRs aren't covered and assignments are blown.

But from a consistency aspect, under Brian Ferentz and the entire coordination of the passing game, they were otherwise absolutely pathetic.

I will give this new staff a couple games to suggest any kind of change is gonna take place, or if the focus needs to shift to.getting Kirk the f*** out so that the offense can finally evolve and not be a detriment to the rest of the team, regardless of how anyone else may feel about what that could do to us defensively.
I agree with everything you said, except I still don't think KF was "in the way". He is just very poor at picking OC's. Hopefully he picked better this time.

There is nothing creative or deceptive about Iowa's offense. It's like a high school offense - a small high school.

My comment about the defense allowing open receivers is simply this- as good as Iowa's defense is they still allow a fair amount of completions to open receivers. Not at all criticizing the D, but disgusted with the offense's inability to get open receivers against even mediocre defenses. It's maddening.

When you listen to Tim Lester talk about the offense, it sounds like PP talking about the defense - which I like!

I’m in favor of 4 TE sets. We never throw a deep ball or slant anyway, everyone knows it, so why not have bigger better run blockers? Iowa TEs can run the same boring routes the WRs have been running. Bigger targets, harder to bring down, and better hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT