ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk Fans

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Wonder how season ticket holders are feeling right now. What will Iowa's starting line-up look like with all the suspensions? Looks like this year will be a bust.

As a sort of season ticket holder (my dad buys them and we go as a family) I don't feel bad at all. The tickets are dirt cheap compared to almost any other form of live entertainment and the Hawks will still be putting on a good show. Real Woods is going to be must watch this whole season, the two transfers will be fun to watch Drake will be fun to watch. Some of the best wrestlers in the country will be in the building competing on other teams as well. It's not like they are pulling out the soft serve machines.

I am not concerned one bit. We were never going to sniff PSU anyway, but we have 4 high level transfers plus freshman depth. 84/97 was already a major hole. Lets be honest, most the guys lost weren't exactly fan favorites nor known to light up the scoreboard. Cobe was fun but he wasn't going to get a lot of mat time this year anyway. Lets see what Joey Cruz, VV, Franek, Caliendo, and Swafford can do. I would much rather watch those guys from a pure fan perspective anyway.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I am not concerned one bit. We were never going to sniff PSU anyway, but we have 4 high level transfers plus freshman depth. 84/97 was already a major hole. Lets be honest, most the guys lost weren't exactly fan favorites nor known to light up the scoreboard. Cobe was fun but he wasn't going to get a lot of mat time this year anyway. Lets see what Joey Cruz, VV, Franek, Caliendo, and Swafford can do. I would much rather watch those guys from a pure fan perspective anyway.
Kind of odd you aren't interested in watching 2 returning All Americans, Nelson Brands or Tony Cassioppi on the mat this season. I would say those 2 are "fan favorites", along with Cobe, because he can hit a highlight move at any time. Abe can frustrate a fan, but he's always in contention. I guess our "fan perspective" are quite different.

Unbelievable post.

Kind of odd you aren't interested in watching 2 returning All Americans, Nelson Brands or Tony Cassioppi on the mat this season. I would say those 2 are "fan favorites", along with Cobe, because he can hit a highlight move at any time. Abe can frustrate a fan, but he's always in contention. I guess our "fan perspective" are quite different.
Nelson Brands was certainly not a fan favorite to watch. Nothing about his wrestling style was fun to watch. Cass on the other hand hurts.

We didn't get four high level transfers.

Also, the lineup for duals won't be much different than the line ups we threw out most of the time last year, as far as quality goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Unbelievable post.
Unbelievably honest post. Losing PK for a meaningful amount of time would have been unfortunate, and obviously Cass is a big loss in points but if it means we get to watch BK wrestle say 10x, I'd personally take that as a wash considering Tony's points aren't going to be enough to overtake Penn St. I won't say negative things about anyone who has dawned the black and gold singlet but if I'm being honest with myself, I was not upset with the "news" if this is how the dust settles. We have some exciting new faces in the room and a Gable level recruit at HWT. I expect this team to let it fly like we haven't seen in a few years. Glass half full. LFG

Anyone saying Iowa won't finish top 5 has $100 wager from me. No pun intended. I'm bullish Iowa Wrestling.

confused-really.gif
What 5 HWT's are better than Cass? Hendrickson is a toss up.

Yeah not ideal but not a chicken little moment either. How does a suspension work? Could PK wrestle unattached until its up? At like Luther or other opens?

Reactions: honkey69
I agree with the guys saying that this team is going to be exciting to watch. It should be a lot of fun!!

You have to feel bad for the guys who are losing a season, but to be honest- with all the extra covid years and the cancelled national tournament before that, I cannot keep straight how many years the kids have wrestled.

Unbelievably honest post. Losing PK for a meaningful amount of time would have been unfortunate, and obviously Cass is a big loss in points but if it means we get to watch BK wrestle say 10x, I'd personally take that as a wash considering Tony's points aren't going to be enough to overtake Penn St. I won't say negative things about anyone who has dawned the black and gold singlet but if I'm being honest with myself, I was not upset with the "news" if this is how the dust settles. We have some exciting new faces in the room and a Gable level recruit at HWT. I expect this team to let it fly like we haven't seen in a few years. Glass half full. LFG

Anyone saying Iowa won't finish top 5 has $100 wager from me. No pun intended. I'm bullish Iowa Wrestling.
We have a wager.

We don't have a Gable (GS) level recruit at hwt. And even if we did, our guy is only focusing on wrestling a couple of months out of the year. Good grief.

I'm a season ticket holder and this development upsets me greatly.
#1, I'm disappointed in the wrestlers who ignored the rules. Especially Nelson Brands.
#2 I'm disappointed in the coaches for not making it clear to their wrestlers that this is unacceptable behavior.
#3 I'm disappointed that the Iowa team won't be as competitive as in years past.

I'm a season ticket holder and this development upsets me greatly.
#1, I'm disappointed in the wrestlers who ignored the rules. Especially Nelson Brands.
#2 I'm disappointed in the coaches for not making it clear to their wrestlers that this is unacceptable behavior.
#3 I'm disappointed that the Iowa team won't be as competitive as in years past.
Why would you be more disappointed in nelson than say, Tony?
What makes you think the coaches didn't make it clear that this is forbidden?

It cannot possibly be made any more clear than it already is. It is stated to them both verbally and in black and white. This is done every year. Some of the suspended have heard for 6 years running. It would be abundantly clear to an elementary school student yet alone a college student.

As for season ticket holders...it sucks...but shit happens and stop being such a front running softie.

It cannot possibly be made any more clear than it already is. It is stated to them both verbally and in black and white. This is done every year. Some of the suspended have heard for 6 years running. It would be abundantly clear to an elementary school student yet alone a college student.

As for season ticket holders...it sucks...but shit happens and stop being such a front running softie.
The fact that the wrestling team has a much greater percentage of its members involved than any other UofI team is a pretty good indication that the coaching staff did a much poorer job of educating on these rules. Yes, a coach should not, in most cases, be deemed responsible for the actions of 1 or 2 of his/her athletes that choose to not follow the rules. But, the numbers involved suggests that the wrestling coaches/staff did not do enough and did not do as much as other UofI coaches.

Any indication/idea how many of them are actually availing themselves of the NCAA SAR appeal process? That, and the weights associated with incoming portal transfers, might be a good indication of whether HEW factored in.

For some it could've been an act of self-sabotage, if they didn't really care whether they were caught and lost this season but also didn't want to be labeled a quitter. Young men have done stranger things than this.

Last edited:
Heard the news in late May and resisted posting but now it's out (respecting kids on team and my parent sources). The Cass news is more extreme than expected, Kind of shocked actually. The Lisbon kid, from my sources, was complete toast. As in the worst offender. As in the FBI paid that Hamlet a visit end of May. And quite frankly it was comical all of the Lisbon lovers rationalizing their guy in the lineup. He was never going to be in the lineup either way. Oh well, move forward and keep grinding. Team trophy in 2024 and beef up the NIL or the Nittany Lions could win 17 out of the next 20.

Then the coaches have either not earned enough respect from the wrestlers for them to heed their coaches. Or they have not modeled behavior to suggest that rules apply to everyone.

One way or another, team discipline has not been an Iowa strength for some time.

Heard the news in late May and resisted posting but now it's out (respecting kids on team and my parent sources). The Cass news is more extreme than expected, Kind of shocked actually. The Lisbon kid, from my sources, was complete toast. As in the worst offender. As in the FBI paid that Hamlet a visit end of May. And quite frankly it was comical all of the Lisbon lovers rationalizing their guy in the lineup. He was never going to be in the lineup either way. Oh well, move forward and keep grinding. Team trophy in 2024 and beef up the NIL or the Nittany Lions could win 17 out of the next 20.
Sounds like you’re overly butt hurt with Cobe and Lisbon in general. Kind of weird.

The fact that the wrestling team has a much greater percentage of its members involved than any other UofI team is a pretty good indication that the coaching staff did a much poorer job of educating on these rules.

That’s dumb. The rules are simple. They don’t need a bunch of explaining. Lol.

Then the coaches have either not earned enough respect from the wrestlers for them to heed their coaches. Or they have not modeled behavior to suggest that rules apply to everyone.

One way or another, team discipline has not been an Iowa strength for some time.

And that’s dumber.

The wrestling team had more guys per capita, who like to gamble, and/or weren’t smart enough to not get caught.

This is weird AF. Seek help.

ax.gif

"It cannot possibly be made any more clear than it already is." If true -- and I have my doubts -- then half the starters don't give a crap what the coaches say.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Many years ago, basically the same talk was given to the teams at Iowa, way before there were cell phones or apps.

Everyone heard it, and a multi time national champion was our bookie even after hearing the presentations.

Had zero to do with respecting the coaches, but more to do with being bulletproof 20 something year old males.

There’s only so much the coaches and administrators can do.

Last edited:
"It cannot possibly be made any more clear than it already is." If true -- and I have my doubts -- then half the starters don't give a crap what the coaches say.
Then doesn't that logic apply to all athletes, in all sports, at all universities? Anytime an athlete gets in trouble for anything it's because the coaches either didn't specifically say or emphasize enough that dui, sexual assault, fighting, drug possession ,armed robbery, failing classes, etc, aren't things you are supposed to do? Or that these athletes that do these things simply lack respect for their coaches?

I have season tickets and love to go to the meets, but I am not up on everything that most of you are regarding wrestling. However, does Kueter step into the heavyweight roll after football season is over. He seems a little small for heavyweight weight wise right now, but he's an outstanding wrestler. Hopefully Cass and the others will get a shorter suspension with the appeals? Da

Ludicrous lol

The Kueter hype is getting to be a little much. Great recruit, but not in the same stratosphere as Gable. Kerkvliet is a much better prospect comparison. If they get Kerk production out of him that's a huge win.

Ludicrous lol

The Kueter hype is getting to be a little much. Great recruit, but not in the same stratosphere as Gable. Kerkvliet is a much better prospect comparison. If they get Kerk production out of him that's a huge win.
Maybe but here is a list of USA U20 world champs since 2002:
2007 Bubba Jenkins (2,1)
2009 Dom Bradley (3,4)
2013 Kyle Snyder (2,1,1,1)
2015 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6)
2016 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2017 Daton Fix (2,2,2,4), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2018 Mekhi Lewis (1,2,2)
2019 David Carr (1,3,2), Mason Paris (2,5,1)
2021 Keegan O'Toole (3,1,1), Rocky Elam (5,4,3), Braxton Amos
2022 Jore Volk, Ben Kueter
2023 Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

There are two individuals on the list (Braxton Amos, Jore Volk) that have competed in college and have yet to AA. Majority of the list has gone on to be high AA or National Champs.

Any indication/idea how many of them are actually availing themselves of the NCAA SAR appeal process? That, and the weights associated with incoming portal transfers, might be a good indication of whether HEW factored in.

For some it could've been an act of self-sabotage, if they didn't really care whether they were caught and lost this season but also didn't want to be labeled a quitter. Young men have done stranger things than this.
I doubt any thought they would get caught. There would be easier ways to self sabotage, but I agree with the concept of it happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT