ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk Fans

"It cannot possibly be made any more clear than it already is." If true -- and I have my doubts -- then half the starters don't give a crap what the coaches say.

This reminds me of unit DUI briefs we would have on a weekly basis in the military. Some dumb SOB would go out and get busted and there we were again in Powerpoint hell. Everybody knew driving drunk was wrong, they just didn't think they would get caught. With gambling, these guys don't even have to walk to the fridge, get into their car, etvc...just open up an app and have at it.

My guess is that this has been the norm for awhile and nobody has got caught because there were no investigations...much like you see all around the country right now. Our guys just happened to be w/o a chair when the music stopped playing.

I hate Barta as much as anyone, but blaming the administration and coaches for this is not just dumb, it's highly unreasonable and delusional. Blaming anyone but the student athlete (and their parents if they used their accounts) is a disgusting.

While they're young adults, they're still adults that fully understand there's consequences to their actions and repercussions for their mistakes. They need to be held accountable.

EVERY student athlete knows that gambling is illegal and if they're hell bent on rolling the dice there is absolutely nothing a coach can say or do to to change their mind.
Several tried hiding it so that proves they knew it was wrong.

At this point that's on them and only them. Don't let them off the hook by splitting the blame.

Maybe but here is a list of USA U20 world champs since 2002:
2007 Bubba Jenkins (2,1)
2009 Dom Bradley (3,4)
2013 Kyle Snyder (2,1,1,1)
2015 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6)
2016 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2017 Daton Fix (2,2,2,4), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2018 Mekhi Lewis (1,2,2)
2019 David Carr (1,3,2), Mason Paris (2,5,1)
2021 Keegan O'Toole (3,1,1), Rocky Elam (5,4,3), Braxton Amos
2022 Jore Volk, Ben Kueter
2023 Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

There are two individuals on the list (Braxton Amos, Jore Volk) that have competed in college and have yet to AA. Majority of the list has gone on to be high AA or National Champs.
I would say this is a good list to have your name on. I believe Jore Volk will have multiple AA's under his belt by the time he is done.

Reactions: el dub
If the coaches can be praised for turning these kids into good or better people they can also be criticized when they screw up like this; can’t just reap all the praises. And that goes for every coach ever not just our wrestling coaches.

op football fan
I have been to severa
op football fan
FWIW, I have been a big wrestling fan for years. Attended five national championships and over 20 BIG championships over the years. Funny thing is, my wife loves going.

Yes I would rate football #1, season ticket holder for 30+ years but wrestling is ahead of basketball for me.

Any projections who will be starting?

I have been to severa

FWIW, I have been a big wrestling fan for years. Attended five national championships and over 20 BIG championships over the years. Funny thing is, my wife loves going.

Yes I would rate football #1, season ticket holder for 30+ years but wrestling is ahead of basketball for me.

125 - ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Swafford/Kennedy
184 - Arnold
197 - Franklin
285 - Hill/Kueter

125 - ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Swafford/Kennedy
184 - Arnold
197 - Franklin
285 - Hill/Kueter
I think Rathjen has a 50/50 at 149, I think Arnold is too small for 84, might be better to just redshirt him, unless he can win the 74 spot.

Reactions: IAChief32
Why would you be more disappointed in nelson than say, Tony?
What makes you think the coaches didn't make it clear that this is forbidden?
the fact that 40% of the starters got caught might be an indication the coaches didn't do enough....

Reactions: redbirdhawk
174 Kennedy 184 Swafford 197 Glazier/Franklin. My guess would be wrestle Gabe in his 5 and opens and see where he's at . I would lean towards RS him he's a 174 currently
I think you are right, we see Gabe early during PK's suspension. Hopefully he gets a match or two against a top 20 174lber to see where he is at. Swafford is a gamer and could surprise some at 184.

Reactions: west2east
So I have not followed every page of the multiple threads on this topic here or anywhere else but do we think the general way that this went down was that one athlete, probably one of the ones that is charged with a crime did something so egregious like actually changing the outcome of the game to help his or someone else's bets and got caught and then this whole investigation just snowballed from there? I can't imagine that someone at the DCI was just sitting around and decided if they want to investigate student athletes for sport gambling.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Then doesn't that logic apply to all athletes, in all sports, at all universities? Anytime an athlete gets in trouble for anything it's because the coaches either didn't specifically say or emphasize enough that dui, sexual assault, fighting, drug possession ,armed robbery, failing classes, etc, aren't things you are supposed to do? Or that these athletes that do these things simply lack respect for their coaches?

To be sure, I'm not the poster with the most management experience in the world. Nor do I believe that Iowa's athletes are the only ones who have run afoul of this rule. But there's a big difference between giving something a "once over lightly," on the one hand, and making something a point of emphasis, on the other. Going forward, I have no doubt that this will become a point of emphasis with the Iowa staff and we will not see a recurrence. Show me that in the past the Iowa coaches did not relegate the gambling discussion to a "once over lightly" type of thing -- in IAChief's speak, page 37 of a 55 page powerpoint -- and I'll concede that you've won your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trapper85
I doubt any thought they would get caught. There would be easier ways to self sabotage, but I agree with the concept of it happening.
Btw, I’m interested in getting plan set up with you, @nach
174 Kennedy 184 Swafford 197 Glazier/Franklin. My guess would be wrestle Gabe in his 5 and opens and see where he's at . I would lean towards RS him he's a 174 currently
i like the idea of frosh getting matches without losing redshirt. It should really help with development and gauging a kid’s potential for post season.

I have been to severa

gunman thanks for the response, the last line of your op was looks like this season is going to be a bust. bothered me, it's all point of view,whomever hits the mat in a hawkeye uni will have my support. could be a great success because expectations will be lowered.either way i'll be right here twisting and beating the hell out of my coach pillows all year long

ax.gif
F'ing hilarious Chief!! LMFBO!!!

This reminds me of unit DUI briefs we would have on a weekly basis in the military. Some dumb SOB would go out and get busted and there we were again in Powerpoint hell. Everybody knew driving drunk was wrong, they just didn't think they would get caught. With gambling, these guys don't even have to walk to the fridge, get into their car, etvc...just open up an app and have at it.

My guess is that this has been the norm for awhile and nobody has got caught because there were no investigations...much like you see all around the country right now. Our guys just happened to be w/o a chair when the music stopped playing.
PowerPoint? The real hell was when we had to put those briefs together using Harvard Graphics. That was serious ass pain!!

We don't have a Gable (GS) level recruit at hwt. And even if we did, our guy is only focusing on wrestling a couple of months out of the year. Good grief.
List of US wrestlers that made a U20 world final before their senior year of high school:

Kyle Snyder
Aaron Pico
Spencer Lee
Gable Steveson
Ben Kueter
Luke Lilledahl

(Saw this previously on X / Twitter; just now when looking it up, my source is TheGOATFollower.)

List of US wrestlers that made a U20 world final before their senior year of high school:

Kyle Snyder
Aaron Pico
Spencer Lee
Gable Steveson
Ben Kueter
Luke Lilledahl

(Saw this previously on X / Twitter; just now when looking it up, my source is TheGOATFollower.)
Cool. But that doesn't make Ben a Gable recruit. (IMHO of course).

Gable came in as a true freshman and got third, only lost to one guy I believe. Then could pretty much name his score his last two years. I can't see Ben getting 3rd this year and doing whatever he wants to everybody the next two yrs.
That's what I mean by I don't believe he's at the same level.

Not referring to his accolades as much as I am his ability to step on the mat as a true freshman and have his way with grown men.
gable was a 3x age group world champ and had senior level wins vs NCAA aa's as a high school senior *at the same weight he would wrestle in college*

gable also wasn't splitting time as a college football player

these are important differences when it comes to what level of recruit they are

if you want to ignore the fact that he'll be completely focused on a different sport for the next 6 months, sure

I guess it's just me...but I think spending time in the room, training and, you know, actually wrestling is important in succeeding as an NCAA wrestler
And it sounds like he’ll be giving up a lot of weight, potentially.

Gable Steveson. Pretty above average 285.
I think he was questioning the previous poster who said Steveson was one of two people who would beat Cass this year. Since Steveson isn't wrestling in college this year, he wouldn't have finished ahead of Tony.

I will miss Cass.

I will miss Nelson if you convince me he would've continued to wrestle as he did at NCAAs and not how he wrestled most every other match in his career.

Cobe was fun to watch as an unheralded underdog. Less fun when we actually needed his NCAA points.

Not gonna bash Assad, but no, he was not particularly fun to watch most of the time.

I'm sorry for all of these guys, but not having them in the lineup doesn't ruin the season for me. I will miss Spencer Lee a lot more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new blood...Franek, Caliendo, Arnold, hopefully Kueter, hopefully Anthony Ferrari. We desperately need an NCAA champ out of that bunch.

Looking forward to a healthy Ayala, Woods, Kennedy.

Interested in seeing Schriever and Rathjen, though my expectations are modest. Ditto Teske and Voinovich.

New blood. New season. Don't mope. Bring it on.

So I have not followed every page of the multiple threads on this topic here or anywhere else but do we think the general way that this went down was that one athlete, probably one of the ones that is charged with a crime did something so egregious like actually changing the outcome of the game to help his or someone else's bets and got caught and then this whole investigation just snowballed from there? I can't imagine that someone at the DCI was just sitting around and decided if they want to investigate student athletes for sport gambling.
Could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that they were investigating some other gambling crime and just stumbled in to some concern about gambling related to athletes and then started pursuing that as well.

Maybe but here is a list of USA U20 world champs since 2002:
2007 Bubba Jenkins (2,1)
2009 Dom Bradley (3,4)
2013 Kyle Snyder (2,1,1,1)
2015 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6)
2016 Spencer Lee (1,1,1,6), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2017 Daton Fix (2,2,2,4), Mark Hall (1,2,2)
2018 Mekhi Lewis (1,2,2)
2019 David Carr (1,3,2), Mason Paris (2,5,1)
2021 Keegan O'Toole (3,1,1), Rocky Elam (5,4,3), Braxton Amos
2022 Jore Volk, Ben Kueter
2023 Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

There are two individuals on the list (Braxton Amos, Jore Volk) that have competed in college and have yet to AA. Majority of the list has gone on to be high AA or National Champs.
You mean like Kerkvliet, #1 overall recruit in his class and my comparison?

Pretty big difference between future high AA/champ and 20 year old olympic champ. Kueter is a great recruit. Gable might be the *greatest* recruit of all time.

The other thing is that none of those guys were splitting time with football.

Not all age level brackets are the same. We don't know how tough his bracket was.

We might want to remember that he got destroyed by Christian Carroll (who just failed to medal at Jr HWT) the last time they wrestled. Physically manhandled, and that was down at 220.

With his athleticism, Kueter is a great prospect, but that's what he is, a prospect. Look at the development path for Parris and Kerk. Those are his peer recruits. He has champ level talent, but saying he can walk right off the football field this year and AA at HWT without a problem is too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT