ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk Fans

If the coaches can be praised for turning these kids into good or better people they can also be criticized when they screw up like this; can’t just reap all the praises. And that goes for every coach ever not just our wrestling coaches.
That’s the fallacy- coaches don’t “turn” kids into better people. All they can do is provide structure and discipline, which the young man can either accept or reject

gable was a 3x age group world champ and had senior level wins vs NCAA aa's as a high school senior *at the same weight he would wrestle in college*

gable also wasn't splitting time as a college football player

these are important differences when it comes to what level of recruit they are
Also, let's not forget that Ben is a 220 pounder and has been for a few years. It will take him some time to grow into a HWT. But when he does, watch out!!

That’s the fallacy- coaches don’t “turn” kids into better people. All they can do is provide structure and discipline, which the young man can either accept or reject
They may not "turn" them into better people, but they can sure inspire them to be better and they can inspire them to try to be the best version of themselves. Sounds like splitting hairs to me.

He’s either an alcoholic (typical Iowa undergrad), or has the worst luck ever . If he’s fallen into being a typical Iowa undergrad party animal, then he has thrown in the towel on ever earning a spot in the starting line up.
So, you don’t believe in grace and redemption?

Reactions: Lambertt
He’s either an alcoholic (typical Iowa undergrad), or has the worst luck ever . If he’s fallen into being a typical Iowa undergrad party animal, then he has thrown in the towel on ever earning a spot in the starting line up.
Sorry but OWI has nothing to do with luck.

He’s a kid and has made some bad decisions. Shouldn’t be crucified for them. Hopefully he is accountable for his mistakes, learns from them, and is better as a result.

Gable came in as a true freshman and got third, only lost to one guy I believe. Then could pretty much name his score his last two years. I can't see Ben getting 3rd this year and doing whatever he wants to everybody the next two yrs.
That's what I mean by I don't believe he's at the same level.
And it sounds like he’ll be giving up a lot of weight, potentially.
I think that's where the football time will actually help. I'm hoping for some growth this year and then who knows what's possible with a whole year of solid eating and weight training...

I will miss Cass.

I will miss Nelson if you convince me he would've continued to wrestle as he did at NCAAs and not how he wrestled most every other match in his career.

Cobe was fun to watch as an unheralded underdog. Less fun when we actually needed his NCAA points.

Not gonna bash Assad, but no, he was not particularly fun to watch most of the time.

I'm sorry for all of these guys, but not having them in the lineup doesn't ruin the season for me. I will miss Spencer Lee a lot more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new blood...Franek, Caliendo, Arnold, hopefully Kueter, hopefully Anthony Ferrari. We desperately need an NCAA champ out of that bunch.

Looking forward to a healthy Ayala, Woods, Kennedy.

Interested in seeing Schriever and Rathjen, though my expectations are modest. Ditto Teske and Voinovich.

New blood. New season. Don't mope. Bring it on.
Well stated my friend...on every bullet!

You mean like Kerkvliet, #1 overall recruit in his class and my comparison?

Pretty big difference between future high AA/champ and 20 year old olympic champ. Kueter is a great recruit. Gable might be the *greatest* recruit of all time.

The other thing is that none of those guys were splitting time with football.
Greatest recruit of all time? I don't want to start that whole who's the best college wrestler ever debate but with 2 NCAA championships I don't think Gable's the greatest recruit. And I'm not taking anything away from the guy. For all I know he could go down as the best freestyle HWT wrestler ever. But I don't think he's the greatest college recruit ever.

Not all age level brackets are the same. We don't know how tough his bracket was.

We might want to remember that he got destroyed by Christian Carroll (who just failed to medal at Jr HWT) the last time they wrestled. Physically manhandled, and that was down at 220.

With his athleticism, Kueter is a great prospect, but that's what he is, a prospect. Look at the development path for Parris and Kerk. Those are his peer recruits. He has champ level talent, but saying he can walk right off the football field this year and AA at HWT without a problem is too much.
Well stated...and I agree. Though I would love to see what he can do just the same. As others have said, we don't know how many years we'll have him as a wrestler so I'd like to see TnT let it fly with him and some of these youngsters and see what they're capable of. In the era of NIL there's no guarantee that we'll have any of these guys beyond this year...and that was clearly an exaggeration but you know what I mean. :)

Reactions: blcoach80
Greatest recruit of all time? I don't want to start that whole who's the best college wrestler ever debate but with 2 NCAA championships I don't think Gable's the greatest recruit. And I'm not taking anything away from the guy. For all I know he could go down as the best freestyle HWT wrestler ever. But I don't think he's the greatest college recruit ever.
He may not have panned out as the greatest wrester ever, but as far as a recruit out of high school - he was up there. His successes in high school were pretty amazing.
The same with Dave Schultz. He was beating D1 AAs while in high school. No one would put Dave Schultz as the greatest D1 wrestler of all time, with his results (even though they were impressive) but as far as a recruit goes - he was one of the greatest.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I will miss Cass.

I will miss Nelson if you convince me he would've continued to wrestle as he did at NCAAs and not how he wrestled most every other match in his career.

Cobe was fun to watch as an unheralded underdog. Less fun when we actually needed his NCAA points.

Not gonna bash Assad, but no, he was not particularly fun to watch most of the time.

I'm sorry for all of these guys, but not having them in the lineup doesn't ruin the season for me. I will miss Spencer Lee a lot more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new blood...Franek, Caliendo, Arnold, hopefully Kueter, hopefully Anthony Ferrari. We desperately need an NCAA champ out of that bunch.

Looking forward to a healthy Ayala, Woods, Kennedy.

Interested in seeing Schriever and Rathjen, though my expectations are modest. Ditto Teske and Voinovich.

New blood. New season. Don't mope. Bring it on.
Great post TarpHawk. Nailed it imo.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Boot his ass!

Make an example.
Maybe some alternative means of punishment - earn your way back on to the team through blood sweat and tears as opposed to being thrown out like trash. Lessons learned in blood are not soon forgotten. Young adults make mistakes.

Reactions: Grip220
Also, let's not forget that Ben is a 220 pounder and has been for a few years. It will take him some time to grow into a HWT. But when he does, watch out!!
I think weighing the full 285 is not a must anymore - cassar, Davison, parris, Steveson, gwiz, Snyder - 230-260 range - coon and the kid from az state are full size but no titles.

Football pre season should help add some beef.

Maybe some alternative means of punishment - earn your way back on to the team through blood sweat and tears as opposed to being thrown out like trash. Lessons learned in blood are not soon forgotten. Young adults make mistakes.
Perhaps.

One big mistake and I'm all for second chances.
Another big error in judgment within the next year indicates a pattern of bad choices/bad behavior.

I have the same POV with oldest Ferrari.
Then again, no one on the staff should give a crap what I think.

Perhaps.

One big mistake and I'm all for second chances.
Another big error in judgment within the next year indicates a pattern of bad choices/bad behavior.

I have the same POV with oldest Ferrari.
Then again, no one on the staff should give a crap what I think.
Interesting to compare to Ferrari situation. One involves bringing on someone accused and charged with assault against another person before being offered a spot on the team. The other with drinking/driving offenses after being accepted onto the team.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
So, you don’t believe in grace and redemption?
I don't think he said anything about not believing in second chances. I think he is just stating an obvious fact.

If you are interested in being a typical undergrad at Iowa, you are not doing what needs to be done to make the Iowa Wrestling team. I think we can all agree with that. I don't think he was saying he should be thrown off the team or punished, but rather he is saying the kid has made life choices that will preclude him from making the team.
Maybe I misread that, but that is the vibe I got.

I don't think he said anything about not believing in second chances. I think he is just stating an obvious fact.

If you are interested in being a typical undergrad at Iowa, you are not doing what needs to be done to make the Iowa Wrestling team. I think we can all agree with that. I don't think he was saying he should be thrown off the team or punished, but rather he is saying the kid has made life choices that will preclude him from making the team.
Maybe I misread that, but that is the vibe I got.
I think alcohol has fueled multiple AA’s over the years.

They may not "turn" them into better people, but they can sure inspire them to be better and they can inspire them to try to be the best version of themselves. Sounds like splitting hairs to me.
I agree with you on all that. But ultimately the athlete makes their own decision, and if it’s the wrong one, that can’t really be blamed on the coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT