ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

Intriguing argument. WBB on its own Board or more views on the MBB board?

For one, I'd like to see more threads on what seem like girls to me (my kids are mid 30s) basketball. Like the exceptionally good recruiting in recent seasons is worthy of more content. We want ballers, boys or girls, to think of Iowa when they think about college programs. Create that little mental link with Iowa Basketball.

Todd Lickliter really raised interest in Iowa WBB.

Reactions: crstuff
Intriguing argument. WBB on its own Board or more views on the MBB board?

For one, I'd like to see more threads on what seem like girls to me (my kids are mid 30s) basketball. Like the exceptionally good recruiting in recent seasons is worthy of more content. We want ballers, boys or girls, to think of Iowa when they think about college programs. Create that little mental link with Iowa Basketball.

Todd Lickliter really raised interest in Iowa WBB.
very true, much more fun to watch

Newcomer Impact Rankings:
Which women's college basketball freshmen, transfers will influence 2020-21?

14. Caitlin Clark, Iowa: From Sam Logic to Kathleen Doyle, Iowa hasn't spent much time in recent years without an answer at point guard. The Hawkeyes believe Clark can extend that run. So do most recruiting analysts.

Last edited:
The roster has been updated with photos of the freshmen and a correction to Sharon Goodman’s bio (now listed as a C and 6’3”).
2020-2021 Roster

Found this comment from Lisa Bluder interesting... "We could possibly start not have any seniors in our starting lineup." I think most of us thought Lexi Sevillian would start at the 2 guard spot. Reading into that a little it sounds like there is some good competition at the 2 & 3 spots taking place between Lexi, Gabbie, Megan, Lauren, Megan, Tomi, & maybe Kate even.

Found this comment from Lisa Bluder interesting... "We could possibly start not have any seniors in our starting lineup." I think most of us thought Lexi Sevillian would start at the 2 guard spot. Reading into that a little it sounds like there is some good competition at the 2 & 3 spots taking place between Lexi, Gabbie, Megan, Lauren, Megan, Tomi, & maybe Kate even.

That would be really good news for the team. Last year, Sevillian averaged 25 minutes per game. Marshall averaged 16.7, and no other returning guard averaged more than 8.1. Either some of our returning guards had a good off-season of development, or Jensen is going to step into a really big role.

Bluder was also really high on Goodman too so it seems she is holding her own in practice as a true freshman. She seemed pretty happy that they'll now have another low post presence aside from Monika, making it easier to not have to change the style of ball when Monika is on the bench. She said something along the lines of, "we now have 10 fouls to give amongst them."

-------------

Also... the AP just released their first poll moments ago. No votes for Iowa.

12. Maryland
16. Indiana
17. Northwestern
20. Ohio State
25. Michigan

Rutgers received 1 vote.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Bluder was also really high on Goodman too so it seems she is holding her own in practice as a true freshman. She seemed pretty happy that they'll now have another low post presence aside from Monika, making it easier to not have to change the style of ball when Monika is on the bench. She said something along the lines of, "we now have 10 fouls to give amongst them."

-------------

Also... the AP just released their first poll moments ago. No votes for Iowa.

12. Maryland
16. Indiana
17. Northwestern
20. Ohio State
25. Michigan

Rutgers received 1 vote.

I liked Goodman's high school film more than I liked Monika's. That's not to say Goodman will have the better career, because Monika has made huge strides since joining Iowa. I've just been a big fan of hers for a while, and it's great to hear Coach Bluder so high on her.

Being a bit vertically challenged, when I played hoops, I found it quite advantageous
to have an excellent, tall person on my team.

The Hawkeye gals are going to exceed expectations, once again.

#gohawks

And for the record, the Iowa Hawkeye Men happen to have the best
Center in America, this year.

#gohawks

Found this comment from Lisa Bluder interesting... "We could possibly [] not have any seniors in our starting lineup." I think most of us thought Lexi Sevillian would start at the 2 guard spot. Reading into that a little it sounds like there is some good competition at the 2 & 3 spots taking place between Lexi, Gabbie, Megan, Lauren, Megan, Tomi, & maybe Kate even.
That comment also stood out to me. I’m sure that most everyone would agree that Lexi was a favorite to return to her starting role. She absolutely is a valuable player for the Hawkeyes with her leadership and experience. Not only does she have four years in the program, she has had substantial playing time (2283 minutes) including 64 starts (in 99 games played) as well as many huge moments in important big time game situations. I believe there are still more memorable moments ahead for her last season. If she is not starting, I think that it only bodes well for the team from the standpoint of abundance of talent and skill level of the underclassmen on their roster for the wings.
In her recent interview, Lexi expressly praised both Gabby and Tomi, whom are two of the top starting candidates to compete for the #2 off-guard position. Also, Megan and Lauren could be in that conversation as well. (Of course, I think it is a foregone conclusion that Caitlin will start at the point.)
Furthermore, I suspect that Kate may be in line for the starting 3 position. I believe she gives the Hawkeyes a valuable rebounding advantage at both ends of the court.
In summary, for Lexi to lose her starting role, it most likely means that the others are just getting that much better and that she isn’t conflicted with it. That is a good thing and why I remain as optimistic this year as I’ve been in the recent past.

Last edited:

-------------
This is another interesting take from Lisa’s press conference. Last year the Hawkeyes had no such backup to Monika when she was out, which necessitated an adjustment in the gameplan. As I recall, they struggled to compensate for her absence. When I saw that recent photo of Sharon and Monika together, I could see that Sharon was a good match physically compared to Monika. That, in addition to Lisa’s comments, supports my optimism for this season.

Last edited:
Furthermore, I suspect that Kate may be in line for the starting 3 position. I believe she gives the Hawkeyes a valuable rebounding advantage at both ends of the court.
In summary, for Lexi to lose her starting role, it most likely means that the others are just getting that much better and that she isn’t conflicted with it. That is a good thing and why I remain as optimistic this year as I’ve been in the recent past.

Competition isn't a bad thing either, especially for a young team. With 3 starting spots set it appears, I could see Kate Martin starting at the 3 position too & it would help with rebounding. Kate is likely the back up at the 4 position too, unless Logan Cook has improved enough to see a few minutes each half.

I too like Sharon's game, not being triple teamed every time down the court will allow her the freedom to just play her game. Jan Jensen in an earlier podcast compared her post moves to that of another 'small town girl' named Megan Gustafson. With the incoming recruits in the next few seasons, Iowa's post game appears to be in great shape.

If Iowa can continue to churn out post players that have a shooting percentage in the top 5 in the country, that certainly bodes well!

Shateah could earn some decent minutes at the backup 4 this year. Kate played the 4 some last year, but I don't think we ever looked great with her there. And playing a guard at the 4 when your 5 isn't a good rebounder is less than idea.

Another option is to use Goodman when Warnock is out and have Goodman and Monika play together.

Reactions: crstuff
Goodman could back both. I could also see Warnock on offense pull out to the 3 point line. Her shooting and ability to drive is a hard match up for a lot of teams

Lisa actually has praised Kate for her leadership & rebounding ability which she said they need. She added Kate was really limited by the bulky knee brace she had to wear last season & she is brace free this year playing as she did before the injury. I am excited to what Kate, Loan Cook, & Shateah can bring to the team this season.

Does Sharon has a reliable perimeter shot? I haven't seen that out of her but her Crestwood team didn't need that out of her either. Lisa said she doesn't want to change the game plan for the posts & having both in could create some spacing issues in the 4-1 set.

Will be surprised if Cook sees much quality time. Is a fine young women but has very limited basketball skills.

Lisa actually has praised Kate for her leadership & rebounding ability which she said they need. She added Kate was really limited by the bulky knee brace she had to wear last season & she is brace free this year playing as she did before the injury. I am excited to what Kate, Loan Cook, & Shateah can bring to the team this season.

Does Sharon has a reliable perimeter shot? I haven't seen that out of her but her Crestwood team didn't need that out of her either. Lisa said she doesn't want to change the game plan for the posts & having both in could create some spacing issues in the 4-1 set.

Kate is good at rebounding for a guard, but we need the 4 opposite Monika to be the best rebounder on the floor, and I don't think she can provide that yet. I'd love to be wrong. My guess is Logan won't play much this year, but that's just speculation until we actually get to see the team on the court.

I haven't seen any proof Sharon has a perimeter shot. I was more thinking they could pair Sharon and Monika, and if they are on the floor together return to the 2 post offense from a few years ago with Gustafson/Stewart/Coley. Warnock is going to play most the game anyway, so the backup 4 won't be in a lot whatever the solution is.

I don't think Logan Cook will play much either. She hasn't shown much in her limited time on the court so far & was a fall back type of recruit when the top targets went elsewhere. But she does bring a little size if needed for just a couple of minutes. I think Kate might surprise now she is healthy, Lisa has said she was headed for a support role on the elite 8 team a couple years back prior to the knee injury. This team isn't lacking for different options in the line up that is for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT