ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Hawkeyes land their QB in Oklahoma native Carson May

Iowa beat one other program (Air Force) for this recruit, also from Oklahoma...
xqwg2sil2ryawryijmc6

How did that turn out?

I'll trust O'Keefe and Ferentz' judgment on this one.
I still remember a coaching clinic with O'Keefe (back with Tate and that crew). Every single QB state "I never took a snap under center in HS" and O'Keefe said "I guess I should have taken note of that and why it's difficult to get them to "drop back"...

• Haha
Reactions: ImmaHwkDork
I’d settle for Petras being able to throw.

Accuracy is everything.

I remember Kyle Shanahan saying a big reason the 49'ers drafted CJ Beathard was because when they watched his tape they saw that he put the ball where it needed to be. Kyle was not so worried about completion percentage because there would be drops that would affect that.

Another example regarding QB accuracy is Tavaris Jackson, who was with the Vikings from 2006-2010. @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset might remember him. Tavaris started 12 games in 2007 and had a 58% completion percentage that season. Vikings fans were interested in his athleticism, because he was always a threat to run. During one of the games, Troy Aikman said that If Jackson were going to survive in the NFL, especially as a starter, he had to be more accurate; unfortunately, accuracy was never his thing. He was on an NFL roster for 9 seasons, appeared in 59 games (34 starts), and passed for 7,263 yards in those 9 seasons.

Accuracy is everything.

I remember Kyle Shanahan saying a big reason the 49'ers drafted CJ Beathard was because when they watched his tape they saw that he put the ball where it needed to be. Kyle was not so worried about completion percentage because there would be drops that would affect that.

Another example regarding QB accuracy is Tavaris Jackson, who was with the Vikings from 2006-2010. @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset might remember him. Tavaris started 12 games in 2007 and had a 58% completion percentage that season. Vikings fans were interested in his athleticism, because he was always a threat to run. During one of the games, Troy Aikman said that If Jackson were going to survive in the NFL, especially as a starter, he had to be more accurate; unfortunately, accuracy was never his thing. He was on an NFL roster for 9 seasons, appeared in 59 games (34 starts), and passed for 7,263 yards in those 9 seasons.
Yeah, it’s something that people will say “he just needs to work on his accuracy.” Well, you can work on it, and improve, but it also requires natural ability. I’m sure every pitcher in baseball wanted Greg Maddux’s accuracy, but it wasn’t going to happen. He was extremely talented.

For Spencer to be a good B1G QB. He needs to be extremely accurate. I don’t think it’s in him.

Again, I’m not suggesting guys can’t improve their accuracy. They can. I just don’t everybody is capable of being extremely accurate.

• Haha
Yeah, it’s something that people will say “he just needs to work on his accuracy.” Well, you can work on it, and improve, but it also requires natural ability. I’m sure every pitcher in baseball wanted Greg Maddux’s accuracy, but it wasn’t going to happen. He was extremely talented.

For Spencer to be a good B1G QB. He needs to be extremely accurate. I don’t think it’s in him.

Again, I’m not suggesting guys can’t improve their accuracy. They can. I just don’t everybody is capable of being extremely accurate.
Receivers have to run their routes correctly and the line has to block, too. Not saying that Petras is accurate but to put it all on him is ridiculous.

• Haha

I think a big part of Spencer's problems are mental. Badly missing wide open receivers does not make sense.

Remember Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach? Both were MLB 2nd basemen.

Steve won 2 World Series with the Dodgers (in 1981 and 1988). He was named the National League Rookie of the Year in 1982. He was also a 5 -time All-Star player. However, he caught a bad case of the yips, where he struggled to make an accurate throw to 1st base. Steve Sax Syndrome has been used to describe second basemen who can't throw the ball to first base.

Chuck Knoblauch, as a rookie, won the 1991 World Series with the Minnesota Twins but, he, too, ended up with a bad case of the yips, where he couldn't make the simple throw from 2nd to 1st. It ultimately put a premature end to his playing career.

He has missed receivers standing still with little to no pressure
Obviously you could say this about any quarterback, but I would agree that even given time to throw in the pocket, Petras underwhelms far too often. IMHO he never seems to be able to get into a rhythm. Additionally, his long balls are wildly inaccurate.

• Haha
I think a big part of Spencer's problems are mental. Badly missing wide open receivers does not make sense.
Hammer, meet head. Spencer is capable of being accurate. He's demonstrated the ability to throw into very tight windows and hit guys way down field.

Its mental. He's not fast or agile and freaks out when he's pressured, or when he's anticipating pressure, which produces some bad throws. His other mental problem is the inability to read the field, which appears to be the product of panic, another mental failure in the kid.

Last edited:
How did the backup do in the same offense with the same line ans receivers?
When receivers are wide open, and misses them horribly. It’s on him.

If Padilla has wide open receivers and misses them. That’s on Padilla.

Petras had a much better line, and better receivers last year. He was inaccurate then too.

When receivers are wide open, and misses them horribly. It’s on him.

If Padilla has wide open receivers and misses them. That’s on Padilla.

Petras had a much better line, and better receivers last year. He was inaccurate then too.
Didn't Petras improve statistically from last year to this, even with a worse line?

Didn't Petras improve statistically from last year to this, even with a worse line?
No.

Now, I think he was a little better, and his supporting cast kept him from improving statistically, but statistically he was a little worse this year.

2020 57.1 comp. %
9 TD 5 int.
Rating 119

2021 57.3 comp. %
10 TD 9
Rating 117.3

No.

Now, I think he was a little better, and his supporting cast kept him from improving statistically, but statistically he was a little worse this year.

2020 57.1 comp. %
9 TD 5 int.
Rating 119

2021 57.3 comp. %
10 TD 9
Rating 117.3
Exactly what I thought. He played with a much more experienced line and receiving corps in 2020 than 2021 so I would have expected the numbers to drop substantially in 2021. His completion percentage went up very slightly but the other numbers suffered because of rushed throws and drops. He was not at his best most of the year because he was fighting injuries from the Pen State game on. Padilla got pounded, too.

I am hoping both can improve next year but I am more concerned about the line and receiving corps coming of age. It they can jell, then I think both Petras and Padilla will have the opportunity to have better stats.

Exactly what I thought. He played with a much more experienced line and receiving corps in 2020 than 2021 so I would have expected the numbers to drop substantially in 2021. His completion percentage went up very slightly but the other numbers suffered because of rushed throws and drops. He was not at his best most of the year because he was fighting injuries from the Pen State game on. Padilla got pounded, too.

I am hoping both can improve next year but I am more concerned about the line and receiving corps coming of age. It they can jell, then I think both Petras and Padilla will have the opportunity to have better stats.
I need to get you to write my obituary.

You're not accounting for him playing only p5 teams in 2020
Outside those 2 games and a pathetic MD D his stats are.....

Can't believe your top concern isn't qb, dachitcray

Spencer and Alex would have to show tremendous improvement next season and both will have a short shelf life it they start the season ahead of Joey Throws. I still think Joey starts game 1 and am extremely confident he's starting by game 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT