ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes release 2021 Spring Roster

Do offensive linemen really need to weigh 300+ to be effective? Surely athleticism and quickness (relatively) help at every position on a team.
I know our current center, (and most of he better ones at Iowa) didn't play at near 300 lbs and I'll stick with him if thats okay......

Do offensive linemen really need to weigh 300+ to be effective? Surely athleticism and quickness (relatively) help at every position on a team.
No, it's a very antiquated thought process. Athletiscm and power trump sheer size. Some pretty interesting articles on the subject pertaining to NFL linemen. (Those discussions tend to be 300-15 vs 315+, but the logic still tracks)

I'd rather have the O-linemen healthy and athletic. Having them excessively obese ... simply to suit our entertainment, kinda seems wrong. As it stands ... many of those guys need to eat all the freakin' time in order to keep on the weight. Hearing what Karl Klug needed to do to put on and keep on weight ... that just sounded downright cruel. I know it's what they (or, at least, some of them) signed up for ... but jeesh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT