ADVERTISEMENT

Rank last year's offensive position groups.

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Genuinely curious to see where everyone would rank groups. From best to worst. I'm including the kicking game for fun.

1. TE
2. RB
3. K
4. WR
5. OL
6. QB

Reactions: BonzoFury
Genuinely curious to see where everyone would rank groups. From best to worst. I'm including the kicking game for fun.

1. TE
2. RB
3. K
4. WR
5. OL
6. QB
With all the injuries, I totally agree on TE being 1.
I would swap OL with WR, I felt our WR's made fewer plays than our line. The line did improve YOY. With all of Downhill's turnovers, QB play was dead last.

Now do the combined score of games against opponents worth a shit.

I’ll get you started: Iowa zero…. Penn State, Michigan, and Tennessee…..?
It amazes me that people think you show up and should win. We beat Wisconsin and Iowa State on the road, both solid wins. We beat Northwestern on a neutral site. All three went bowling. We also got hosed against Minnesota, should have been 11 wins.

I'd say that's pretty close. I can see some swapping the QB/OL places.
Nah. Part of the OL had some signs of quality here and there. The QB position had absolutely no quality whatsoever once DH took over, and frankly, wasn't all that good before that.

I still think we do the least possible to help the OL out. Yeah they need to improve don’t get me wrong.
I don't think last year's unit is even close to top 10 during the KF era but I don't think they look nearly as bad with a better scheme/playcaller either.

Would you have been all offended if there were a thread titled "Rank last year's defensive position groups"?

Chill the f out. You don't have to be KF's guardian at every turn.
Not offended. That's my primary ranking for them.

My primary ranking for the defensive positional groups is also 10-4.

That's how I look at the game

1. TE
2. RB
3. K
4. WR
5. OL
6. QB
1. TE (no brainer)
2. RB
3. K
4. Shit
5. Shit
6. Shit

(Put QB, OL, and WR in any order you would like 4-6.)

Not offended. That's my primary ranking for them.

My primary ranking for the defensive positional groups is also 10-4.

That's how I look at the game
There are fans of teams a heck of a lot better than Iowa that can rank their position groups without being weird about it.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I’m honestly not sure where to rank the WR group because I haven’t really seem them do much but run upfield.

How a total team rank including the D units? Would it be a complete stack? (all D above all O). Also where would Special teams rank?

There are fans of teams a heck of a lot better than Iowa that can rank their position groups without being weird about it.
You guys misinterpret what I'm saying. This point isn't that 10 wins means something. The point is that the team's record is my primary ranking for any positional group. It's a team game and record is the primary stat.

I say the same thing in basketball threads all the time. Kind of like I'm not crazy about the Caitlin cam tonight. I view the game in terms of the team first

Team game

Do you want to do overall position groups? I was just asking a question... I wasn't ripping on anyone. The only thing I could possibly have thought of was that some may be curious why Copeland would be fired while the QB analyst promoted and o line coach retained.

1. LB
2. P
3. DL
4. CB
5. TE
6. S
7. RB
8. K
9. WR
10. OL
11. QB

This group equaled to a 10-4 record.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Do you want to do overall position groups? I was just asking a question... I wasn't ripping on anyone. The only think I could possibly have thought of was that some may be curious why Copeland would be fired while the QB analyst promoted and o line coach retained.

1. LB
2. P
3. DL
4. CB
5. TE
6. S
7. RB
8. K
9. WR
10. OL
11. QB
I didn't say you were ripping anyone. I just offered my primary assessment for the position groups; which is the team's record.

No, I don't wish to rate the position groups beyond team record. Those grades don't really matter to me and I don't care for the extreme individualization of team sports that takes place these days

How about a different exercise? Rank each position group separately by year of the Ferentz era. There's not a single offensive group from 2023 that would rank in the top five, and probably only the TE group would make the top 10.

Are we ranking the groups at the beginning of the season(pre-injuries) or at the end of the season?

Beginning
TE
K
RB
QB
WR
OL

End
RB - got healthy, problem was the PT rotation and OL blocking, not the players
TE - decent production but too many injuries
K - end of season struggles brought it down a spot
WR - found one good WR in the group
OL - only moved up because QB went down
QB - horrific, performance wasn’t good before Cade got hurt and got worse

Do you want to do overall position groups? I was just asking a question... I wasn't ripping on anyone. The only thing I could possibly have thought of was that some may be curious why Copeland would be fired while the QB analyst promoted and o line coach retained.

1. LB
2. P
3. DL
4. CB
5. TE
6. S
7. RB
8. K
9. WR
10. OL
11. QB

This group equaled to a 10-4 record.
Pretty good ranking. I'd combine S and CB and interchange them with DL. Regardless...the glaring problems with KFz and his approach to offense cannot be ignored. It's not going to get better and sadly it will be the final narrative when he retires.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I didn't say you were ripping anyone. I just offered my primary assessment for the position groups; which is the team's record.

Cool. As long as you also recognize that every position group’s assessment against teams that mattered was 0-92.

Cool. As long as you also recognize that every position group’s assessment against teams that mattered was 0-92.
Every game matters.

In the games you are referring to, my primary assessment for every position group is 0-3.

Again, I'm not making any sort of point about 10 wins. I'm saying that the main assessment I give all team members is the team's record. If the team were 7-5, that would be the main grade I would give to each position group

Every game matters.

In the games you are referring to, my primary assessment for every position group is 0-3.

Again, I'm not making any sort of point about 10 wins. I'm saying that the main assessment I give all team members is the team's record. If the team were 7-5, that would be the main grade I would give to each position group
You’re trying way too hard.

Being a KF apologist is getting tougher and tougher, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk

No, your weird/delusionary take is pretty clear.

Check out my response in the linked basketball thread and discover that you are wrong again bud. When someone explains their words, it's ok to believe them

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT