ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks to compete in U20 WTT and U23 Nationals

U20 PSU elite H.S. recruits doing quite a bit better than Iowa's.

57 Lilledahl - 1st
65 Kasak - 2nd in challenge tournament
74 Sealy beats Riggins 8-3, Sealy takes 3rd
79 Barr 2nd in challenge
86 Mirasola - 2nd in challenge
92 Mirasola - 3rd in challenge (beat UNI's Volker)

• Angry
Reactions: Fan In Black
School Ugh GIF

Lilledahl #2 '24
Bouzakis #4 '22
Mendez #3 '22
Shapiro #1 '23
Mesenbrink #18 '22
Singleton #10 '22
Berge #26 '22
Darrah ?
McDanel #37 '23
Carroll #8 '23

Iowa's U20s:
Peterson #52 '24
Jesuroga NR '22
Block #22 '23
Riggins #29 '22
Arnold #5 '23
Hill NR '22

No Kueter (#2 '23), no Angelo F (#1 '24), no Anthony F (#14 '22).

Iowa's U23s:
Schriever #66 '20 (#1 seed, in QFs)
Rathjen #37 '21 (#1 seed, in QFs)
Reyna #60 '20 (#8 seed, lost in R16)

No Ayala (#5 '21). Was Kennedy eligible (#3 '20)?

Is it a lame excuse to say most of the guys we're expecting NCAA points from weren't there? Or does that just beg the next question?

U20 PSU elite H.S. recruits doing quite a bit better than Iowa's.

57 Lilledahl - 1st
65 Kasak - 2nd in challenge tournament
74 Sealy beats Riggins 8-3, Sealy takes 3rd
79 Barr 2nd in challenge
86 Mirasola - 2nd in challenge
92 Mirasola - 3rd in challenge (beat UNI's Volker)
Not to mention Iowa guys get most of their points on basic leg shot TDs or push outs, it's very bare bones in the technique department. PSU guys and others just better and more diverse techniques making them more dangerous in the scoring department.

Lilledahl #2 '24
Bouzakis #4 '22
Mendez #3 '22
Shapiro #1 '23
Mesenbrink #18 '22
Singleton #10 '22
Berge #26 '22
Darrah ?
McDanel #37 '23
Carroll #8 '23

Iowa's U20s:
Peterson #52 '24
Jesuroga NR '22
Block #22 '23
Riggins #29 '22
Arnold #5 '23
Hill NR '22

No Kueter (#2 '23), no Angelo F (#1 '24), no Anthony F (#14 '22).

Iowa's U23s:
Schriever #66 '20 (#1 seed, in QFs)
Rathjen #37 '21 (#1 seed, in QFs)
Reyna #60 '20 (#8 seed, lost in R16)

No Ayala (#5 '21). Was Kennedy eligible (#3 '20)?

Is it a lame excuse to say most of the guys we're expecting NCAA points from weren't there? Or does that just beg the next question?
it has begged the question for way to damn long

Schriever into the semis with a 13-6 win. Has Julian Chlebove out of ASU.

Rathjen also wins 8-2. Will have Ed Scott.
Tough matchups. Scott obviously a better college resume thus far that Rathjen. These are the kinds of matches he needs to get some wins in. Chlebove like Schriever is better suited to freestyle. He beat Cullen last year in freestyle.

Schriever loses 7-1. Got turned twice off his own shot to break it open.

Rathjen goes down 11-8. At least 6 of Scott's points were from countering Rathjen's shots. I can't wait until Iowa figures how to hit counters and scrambles.

Zero world team members. Only Arnold was in a final.

Rathjen goes down 11-8. At least 6 of Scott's points were from countering Rathjen's shots. I can't wait until Iowa figures how to hit counters and scrambles.

Zero world team members. Only Arnold was in a final.
Well, bringing in new blood at freestyle coaching level might be a step toward making adjustments for future encounters with past opponents and learning new techniques necessary to thrive in this day and age.

no. not at all. they are recruiting, developing, and having world success. Something Iowa used to do.
Recruiting is the key word there. A very talented athlete can have much more success with basic stuff, like many are saying our guys do. Example, Spencer Lee and Real Woods head lever and arm bar series. Stuff kids lean, but they make it look special. People also criticize our scrambling ability, again Lee and Woods don’t struggle in scrambles like many of our slow plodders do. TNT finally figured out they can’t coach up and condition average boarderline D1 wrestlers to beat the elite coming out of high school, like the old days. This is why they are taking a chance on the Ferrari brothers. Every other elite recruit and transfer went to PSU. If they can help us be competitive with PSU, we may start to get a few of the elite recruits without baggage to choose us over PSU.

Recruiting is the key word there. A very talented athlete can have much more success with basic stuff, like many are saying our guys do. Example, Spencer Lee and Real Woods head lever and arm bar series. Stuff kids lean, but they make it look special. People also criticize our scrambling ability, again Lee and Woods don’t struggle in scrambles like many of our slow plodders do. TNT finally figured out they can’t coach up and condition average boarderline D1 wrestlers to beat the elite coming out of high school, like the old days. This is why they are taking a chance on the Ferrari brothers. Every other elite recruit and transfer went to PSU. If they can help us be competitive with PSU, we may start to get a few of the elite recruits without baggage to choose us over PSU.
exactly

Imagine a world where your head coach of an international wrestling club isn’t Dan Dennis. Can’t believe we can’t do better than him. A national runner up and an Olympian. Not a bad resume but what says he is a great coach. Wasn’t he kind of “out there” personality wise. our club kind of sucks outside of Lee

Imagine a world where your head coach of an international wrestling club isn’t Dan Dennis. Can’t believe we can’t do better than him. A national runner up and an Olympian. Not a bad resume but what says he is a great coach. Wasn’t he kind of “out there” personality wise. our club kind of sucks outside of Lee
Spencer was his training partner when he was in the Olympics. There are reasons for everything. Familiarity and relationships matter in all walks of life, including wrestling.

I would not be opposed to bringing in another coach either within the club or a transfer from the ncaa staff to the club, then a new ncaa coach. Most likely option to transfer would be Terry.

Who would be your top candidates?

He said he was good at keeping matches close, which was fair, and called him a “boring” wrestler which was cheap. He’s damned effective and Singleton was frustrated, then shitty over it.
Thought someone on here said they’ve been competing since they were little kids, guess it wasn’t a friendly rivalry.

don’t get it twisted. I have no reason to hate on Dan. I am just thinking out loud here. We want to grow the brand and we want to get better but it also means you don’t have to stay inside the program to get a coach. I know back in the hay day of Iowa it would have been easy to get a stud coach. Now not so much. Our international success is terrible which isn’t going to scream come coach here for a top talent which is also why we don’t have a quality program of studs down there practicing.

Dan I am sure is a fine gentleman but it’s time we do what’s best and go grab a phenom outside of the program with proven international success. I was thinking moving Terry from assistant to full time HWC coach but idk if that’s it. I know Bill Zadick has a great thing going with USA wrestling. We need someone like that. IMO Dake/Burroughs/Taylor/Gable. Younger generation that has major success at all levels. Someone the kids want to come wrestle for. I just don’t think Dan is that guy to take the HWC to the next level. IN MY humble opinion of course

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT