ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks to compete in U20 WTT and U23 Nationals

They will both be Cullan Schriever type of guys once in college.

I'm not expecting much from either.

Heard it here first.
guess we’ll see….. I remember not expecting much from Matt McDonough too…….figured he’d be a backup or average at best 133 pounder after watching him get owned at an all star dual Iowa against USA……think he wrestled Jason Welch and was completely manhandled

That summer I saw him eating salads all the time at the hy vee deli 😂 few months later He was tearing up at national duals in Cedar Falls that year…… mentioned to his Dad he looked really good he grinned and said we’ll see…… Didn’t he win it all his first year in lineup?

Last edited:
Agree that Block will be a very solid multi year contributor. I think kale has potential to make gains and I love his offensive diversity. Jury is out on him but I’m optimistic early.
Block had a bad weekend, but just a fluke. The biggest question with him is if he can make 141 and hold it without being weak, since we have more good options already at 149. Peterson wasn’t a big recruit, so hopefully he can be like a few of these sought after transfers who were under the radar in high school.

guess we’ll see….. I remember not expecting much from Matt McDonough too…….figured he’d be a backup or average at best 133 pounder after watching him get owned at an all star dual Iowa against USA……think he wrestled Jason Welch and was completely manhandled

That summer I saw him eating salads all the time at the hy vee deli 😂 few months later He was tearing up at national duals in Cedar Falls that year…… mentioned to his Dad he looked really good he grinned and said we’ll see…… Didn’t he win it all his first year in lineup?
I think McDonough got smoked by Jordan Oliver in that meet? Welch was there and took someone else apart, way bigger than Matt though. That USA team was unreal, Nate Moore and Andrew Long won for Iowa but that was about it that I remember.

Reactions: natchrlman
Block isn't an elite recruit and should not be held to those expectations. No need to bury him for losing to two solid college kids. Jordan Williams is a top 10 recruit (and probably one reason we now have Voinovich). The second kid he lost 4-4 to is an under the radar kid from UNC who held SVN (2-0) and Caleb Henson (5-3 TB-2) to close matches.

You hope a kid with his pedigree produces at a Max Murin level. Solid multi-year starter with low AA upside. Anything more is an excellent result.

Peterson wasn't even in Willie's top 200. He's clearly better than that. He should provide good depth at 133/141.

Arnold lost to a higher ranked recruit from the previous class with lots of familiarity. Winning the open was a great result for him. Has to find some offense to reach his potential though.

I am definitely concerned that our future success is so tied to Sebolt at the moment. The college track record is not good. None of his kids can scramble it seems. Or finish shots. Or stay healthy. Sound familiar?

Last edited:
I think McDonough got smoked by Jordan Oliver in that meet? Welch was there and took someone else apart, way bigger than Matt though. That USA team was unreal, Nate Moore and Andrew Long won for Iowa but that was about it that I remember.
that could be….I don’t have the memory a lot of you……

I remember Welch seemed to stomp on his opponent during his match and It pissed me off….. didn’t like him his whole career

Then we at nationals in Missouri one year at a bbq place between sessions and it was packed and we had a few extra chairs at our table so I invited these guys that didn’t have a chair to sit with us and they did….

Turned out it was Welshs Dad and two of their coaches and eventually Jason showed up……. really really nice Kid….. his Dad was great and those coaches were very complimentary of the Iowa program….. actually they all were

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT