ADVERTISEMENT

He Looks Like a Receiver

dbleagle1

HR All-State
Oct 18, 2014
Long, thin build, athletic......IMH looks like a receiver to me......And, wow, is he explosive on runs after catch. Iowa definitely got better at WR with BS, IMH, and the rest of the commits. Plus, they get VandeBerg. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that Nate S. is walking around with a chubber today. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964
It's still arguably the weakest position on the team and the recruits while possibly having good potential were rated no higher than 5.5. Getting someone like Martin would have been a difference maker. Thankfully we have Vandeberg returning next year to occupy one of the positions while we sort out the rotation and hopefully find at least one other competent wr.

If he's a CB, he reminds me of Sean Smith with the Raiders. 2* from Pasadena who went to Utah & was a stud in college and still is in the NFL.

It's still arguably the weakest position on the team and the recruits while possibly having good potential were rated no higher than 5.5. Getting someone like Martin would have been a difference maker. Thankfully we have Vandeberg returning next year to occupy one of the positions while we sort out the rotation and hopefully find at least one other competent wr.
While Martin is a very good player he would not have been a difference maker next year. Why don't we let these players be on campus a year before u determine how good they will be

Pretty sure I read the same stuff about Ogwo, Smith, Falconer, Scheel, Mitchell Jr., etc, etc. I'll personally wait and see if one of these guys is a B1G caliber player.
I would guess that people complained/lauded every single non 4 star recruit Iowa has ever gotten.

Take a look at Cooper's film vs Martin's film. They both look very similar. Did Cooper go to the Nike Camps to get his stars rated last summer? I don't know. One recruiting service upgraded Cooper to a high 3 star recently. Any one of these receivers could have a break out year while Martin sits on the bench waiting his turn of 4 & 5 star receivers.

Take a look at Cooper's film vs Martin's film. They both look very similar. Did Cooper go to the Nike Camps to get his stars rated last summer? I don't know. One recruiting service upgraded Cooper to a high 3 star recently. Any one of these receivers could have a break out year while Martin sits on the bench waiting his turn of 4 & 5 star receivers.
Did that star bump get Cooper any additional P5 offers? It wasn't even like our staff slow played him, they ended up just going to option C, maybe D after losing two guys and striking out on some others.

Hence, I'll wait and see how he does in a few years before I say "Iowa definitely just got better at receiver". Just my opinion.

We need receivers and he looks like a receiver.

But I could see why Rutgers wanted him for corner. Looks like a NFL caliber body type for CB though, like an earlier poster said, Sean Smith or also Xavier Rhodes. Tall and lanky who can run.

Did that star bump get Cooper any additional P5 offers? It wasn't even like our staff slow played him, they ended up just going to option C, maybe D after losing two guys and striking out on some others.

Hence, I'll wait and see how he does in a few years before I say "Iowa definitely just got better at receiver". Just my opinion.
Yes, 5 seconds before signing day a recruiting service bumped his rating, and the offers poured in.:rolleyes:

I would guess that they hadn't evaluated him that closely. They looked at his film and said, "Man, we missed on that kid." That is OP's entire point.

He is an Iowa receiver, so I'm with you. I will have to see him play before getting too excited, but the OP has a point. His rating may very well have more to do with exposure than ability. Oliver Martin would probably be the first to tell you that could be the case.

Reactions: terrehawk
Long, thin build, athletic......he looks like a receiver to me......And, wow, is he explosive on runs after catch. Iowa definitely got better at WR with BS, IMH, and the rest of the commits. Plus, they get VandeBerg. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that Nate S. is walking around with a chubber today. :)

based on our history with KF and Company, I think we fans first need to hope the kids on campus at the WR position step up and make noticeable strides between now and next fall. Specifically, Smith, Falconer, Nash and Young. All four have played some snaps, we need some production from a few of these guys first and can't pin all our hopes on the incoming recruits. Don't get me wrong, its nice to restock the WR position, but to expect big contributions from them next year is probably unrealistic. While the new recruit from Mississippi stands out physically, I suspect the kid from Wisconsin will take the redshirt off in advance of our first game and will be the first one to get meaningful snaps.

Pretty sure I read the same stuff about Ogwo, Smith, Falconer, Scheel, Mitchell Jr., etc, etc. I'll personally wait and see if one of these guys is a B1G caliber player.
Exactly. Many players are often thought by Hawk fans to be "starters by the first game, starting by the beginning of the conference schedule, possible early All Big 10, one of Iowa's best ever, etc". Few ever live up to it. Not many freshmen WR make a big impression at Iowa because of any number of reasons. The need for Doyle to beef them up, need to learn the complex Iowa passing scheme;), learn how to block(?) adjust to college life, and more. If it will be that easy to get a couple of these freshmen WR ready to play D-1 football, why hasn't it shown up in the past?

Blocking is what holds guys back on Kirk's list. In his wonderful offensive scheme, it comes at the top. The bigger receivers will have an advantage, but most guys don't have to be great blockers in high school.

These guys don't run the disciplined route tree that Iowa demands of its WRs, YET.

I do like that they found guys with height, that you can add a few pounds to and make them more physical.
I think Kirk is looking to change the way they've been doing the WR position.

All good points.......can't someone be positive about the incoming receivers? hehehehe I still wonder how much GD's offense and play calling affected the production of the current receivers. Yes, the current receivers in the system haven't done much yet. But, I am hopeful that BF's offense and play calling includes them more. I know this, the cupboard was obviously extremely bare this year considering the fact that a walk-on took the lead receiving role when VandeBerg went down. Having said that, McCarron did a great job. I just think IMH and B. Smith look like the real deal. Not sure how much they will be able to contribute this coming year but hopefully they can see the field, get some snaps and get some valuable experience..........

When Brian talks about recruits understanding the "culture" here, it tells me it is still going to be the same run first, ball control, clock burning offense his dad has dug in here. We will see.

When Brian talks about recruits understanding the "culture" here, it tells me it is still going to be the same run first, ball control, clock burning offense his dad has dug in here. We will see.

I think the culture that he's talking about begins with the mindset that the only way Iowa wins championships is by laying one brick at a time. We're not going to outtalent, or outathlete anybody. We're going to outwork and outtechnique, and be more tenacious than the guy across from you.

The only reason why we ran the ball last year is because it worked. And passing didn't. Our receivers really have to take a look in the mirror because they just didn't perform at a Big 10 level. They have so much work to do just to be average and not hold the team back. I hope Kirk is straight with that position group.

Reactions: Ree4
We need receivers and he looks like a receiver.

But I could see why Rutgers wanted him for corner. Looks like a NFL caliber body type for CB though, like an earlier poster said, Sean Smith or also Xavier Rhodes. Tall and lanky who can run.

I was thinking more Trae waynes

Read his comment on Mansel. Yes he said our foundation is running the ball, but they still want to throw 30 x per game. 30 times is a good target and plenty for Rec and QBs to make a mark

Hopefully not Trae Waynes because he is terrible. I guess I'd take college Trae Waynes

Source: I'm a Vikings fan
So am I lol and yes he is but a college waynes would be nice but I was more so saying just his long tooth pick frame reminded me of trae

I wouldn't trade Brandon Smith for Oliver Martin. This kid fell thru the cracks in the MS cotton fields. Way, way more athletic than Martin.

Reactions: Ree4
I think the new passing scheme will be a difference maker for the receiving chore. I predict that it will be easier for a young receiver to grasp and get on the field AND to get open

You are going to bitch and whine and trssh players and coaches regardless of what this staff does. We don't need to wait to reserve judgment on THAT.

I like the receivers they brought in.....Cooper looks like he catches everything. I wonder if a "block first" mentality will continue. Or is that just a perception of what our receivers must do?

You are going to bitch and whine and trssh players and coaches regardless of what this staff does. We don't need to wait to reserve judgment on THAT.
Can you give me a link to that? My god, you are a worthless poster. I understand some posters are overly optimistic and positive, I get it. You however, don't ever seem to contribute anything of value, just bitch about anyone having a different opinion than yourself.

Reactions: DewHawk

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted. -Darrell Royal

Long, thin build, athletic......IMH looks like a receiver to me......And, wow, is he explosive on runs after catch. Iowa definitely got better at WR with BS, IMH, and the rest of the commits. Plus, they get VandeBerg. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that Nate S. is walking around with a chubber today. :)

Brandon Smith's highlight is really impressive to me. He consistently catches the ball with his hands, at the highest point, on every type of route and throw. He has the balls to do it over the middle, even when the QB hangs him out. He has the athleticism to do it on the sideline, on the run, and he looks to be faster than his (good, 5A Alabama) competition. He runs tough after the catch.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2974838/brandon-smithAnd he blocks, which means he won't be held back on that account.

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted. -Darrell Royal
I am pretty sure Woody Hayes said this way before anyone else.

Reactions: mazda1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT