ADVERTISEMENT

Heat Waves Kill More People In the US than Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Floods—COMBINED

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

Here Are the Stunning Heat Records Set So Far This Summer

From Phoenix, Ariz., to China to Spain, heat records are being set all over the world

Temperature records have been shattering left and right as searing, unrelenting heat has enveloped numerous spots around the planet—from Phoenix, Ariz., to Sanbao, China—during this summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

Breaking high-temperature records is a hallmark of climate change. With more and more heat being trapped in the atmosphere by the greenhouses gases emitted when humans burn fossil fuels, heat records are now set increasingly more often than cold ones.

Climate change leads to longer, stronger and more frequent heat waves. A recent study from the World Weather Attribution group found that some of this summer’s record-setting heat waves would have been “virtually impossible” without climate change. A hot summer of the past is an average one today, and the current hot summers will be considered pretty average in the future.

Extreme heat kills people. In the U.S., it claims more lives than hurricanes, tornadoes and floods—combined. It is particularly dangerous for young children, the elderly, those with health conditions such as asthma and heart disease, those who work outside and the unhoused.

Below is a running list of some of the records that have been set this year.

Local-Level Records​

Under the influence of a tenacious heat dome, Phoenix has blown past a record for the longest stretch of days with high temperatures at or above 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 degrees Celsius). As of July 26, that record stood at 27 days. (The previous record, set in 1974, was 18 days.)

Phoenix also tied the record (previously set in 2021) for the most days in a row—six—with a high of at least 115 degrees F (46.1 degrees C). Additionally, the city has tied the record for the most days at or above 115 degrees F within a single year, with 14 days so far in 2023.

And Phoenix hasn’t only sweltered during the day. Nighttime lows hit an all-time high record of 97 degrees F (36.1 degrees C), breaking an earlier peak on July 19. The city has seen a record 17 consecutive days with a low of 90 degrees F (32.2 degrees C) or higher. The previous record of seven days was set twice in 2020.

Miami, Fla., has seen a heat index (a measure that factors in humidity to determine what the temperature feels like to the human body) above 100 degrees F (37.8 degrees C) for 45 days as of July 25, according to local meteorologist Brian McNoldy. This is by far the most days in a row to reach that level. (The previous record, set in 2020, was 32 days.) The city also saw a record 13 consecutive days with a heat index of 106 degrees F (41.1 degrees C) or higher and a record two days in a row where the heat index topped 110 degrees F.

San Angelo, Tex., set an all-time high of 114 degrees F (45.6 degrees C) in June as a heat dome stayed parked over the area for weeks. It was one of many heat records that have broken around the state this summer.

Algiers, the capital of Algeria, set an all-time record high of 119.7 degrees F (48.7 degrees C) on July 23 amid a brutal heat wave affecting areas all around the Mediterranean.

Palermo, the capital of the Italian region of Sicily, hit an all-time record high of 116.6 degrees F (47 degrees C) on July 24, breaking its previous record by more than 3.6 degrees F (two degrees C). Temperature data there extend back to 1791.

Regional and National-Level Records​

Sanbao township in China’s Xinjiang Uygur region set the country’s all-time record high temperature of 126 degrees F (52.2 degrees C). And Spain’s Catalonia region had its hottest-ever temperature of 113.7 degrees F (45.4 degrees C).
On July 8 a town in Canada’s Northwest Territories recorded a temperature of 100 degrees F . The location was the farthest north of the 65-degree latitude line where that has ever happened in the Western Hemisphere.

Global Records​

On the global scale, the planet saw its hottest June on record this year by a wide margin. And July is expected to be not only the hottest July on record but also the hottest month ever recorded on Earth. The first week of July was also provisionally the hottest week on record for the whole planet.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...tunning-heat-records-set-so-far-this-summer1/

• Sad
Reactions: Ree4 and BelemNole
In case anyone cares...

Scientific American

Scientific American - Pro Science - left Bias - Credible - Reliable

Factual Reporting: High - Credible - Reliable

I bet cold kills a lot more than you would think too. I was a caterer for many years. Every winter's first hard freeze left to a bunch of funerals as would summer's first heat wave. Might be heart attacks or whatever but it was the heat and the cold that caused it.

Reactions: Odinorske
I bet cold kills a lot more than you would think too. I was a caterer for many years. Every winter's first hard freeze left to a bunch of funerals as would summer's first heat wave. Might be heart attacks or whatever but it was the heat and the cold that caused it.
True but we aren't facing a man-caused global cooling crisis.

The neat thing is, if we were facing a global cooling crisis, we'd know exactly what to do. Burn a lot of fossil fuels.

Short Story Idea: In the distant future, as humanity recovers from the climate catastrophe of our era, a new Ice Age looms. But we already used all the easy to extract fossil energy so we can't use that as a tool to save ourselves.

Reactions: Ree4 and BelemNole
Any chance we can start another thread talking about it being hot out and the earth is going to start on fire.

Jimmy Fallon Please GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I have to keep seeing these, it’s so hot out threads and I can’t wait to get home from work and use the pool. I step outside after work and it’s overcast and drizzling! WTF

How many people die just sitting in their chair on their porch in the heat?

Seems convenient just to carpet blame everything on heat. Some liquored up idiot having heat stroke should be death by stupidity, no the temp.

How many people die because it’s dark outside? Trip on something, hit something with car, bla bla bla.

Any chance we can start another thread talking about it being hot out and the earth is going to start on fire.

Jimmy Fallon Please GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
We've been warned the world is going to burn up in 5 yrs; every 8yrs, for the past 50yrs. Too much CO2 so we need to switch to a different fuel source, yet CO2 is absorbed by plant life and we keep putting up fields of solar panels where plant life would be the better option. Then again, planting plants don't make the politicians rich.

Last edited:
Moderate cold kills more people than extreme heat. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/12/20/moderate-cold-kills/
Not sure what point you are trying to make. Do you find these results surprising in any way or a refutation of the dangers of global warming? Because, if the latter, that would be wrong.

Meanwhile...

Watts Up with That​

Watts Up with That - Conspiracy - Fake news - Not credible - Right BiasWatts Up with that - Pseudoscience - Conspiracy - Fake - Junk Science - Bias

Factual Reporting: Low - Not Credible - Not Reliable - Fake News - Bias

Reactions: Ree4 and THE_DEVIL
Not sure what point you are trying to make. Do you find these results surprising in any way or a refutation of the dangers of global warming? Because, if the latter, that would be wrong.

Meanwhile...

Watts Up with That​

Watts Up with That - Conspiracy - Fake news - Not credible - Right BiasWatts Up with that - Pseudoscience - Conspiracy - Fake - Junk Science - Bias

We actually don't even need the "factcheck" sites, if it come from a politicians mouth or the MSM, it's False.

People have to start being a little more self-reliant and know BS is the only thing spewed anymore. Neither side has the good of America as their true calling, they are now so caught up in tiktok, podcasts, and "sounding" like they care, that nothing (as we have seen for some time now) gets done by the "rich men north of Richmond".

Just wait till we use up all the cobalt, lithium, et al for EV's! Then it's off to sodium from the oceans, oceanic life be damned!

Not to mention the harm to the children mining all that stuff. BUt hey, it gets the rich richer, so F Wisconsin.

Meanwhile...

Watts Up with That​

There is NO empirical evidence showing that humans are causing or ever will cause catastrophic global warming. These claims are based solely on the global climate models which are not empirical evidence. The models have proven so inaccurate when compared to real world temperatures, that they have been compared to a sports team that plays an entire season without winning a game. None of the models’ dire predictions have come true.

• Love
Reactions: obfuscating
There is NO empirical evidence showing that humans are causing or ever will cause catastrophic global warming. These claims are based solely on the global climate models which are not empirical evidence. The models have proven so inaccurate when compared to real world temperatures, that they have been compared to a sports team that plays an entire season without winning a game. None of the models’ dire predictions have come true.

Tell me you know shit with respect to climate models, without telling me

Reactions: Ree4
H E double hockey sticks, YES!

If anyone with even a grain of intelligence has watched what the politicians have pushed for the past 70 years (we were supposed to be under water, melted, evaporated, etc) and what is actually happening, they would thumb their nose at the noise makers and live their lives. This has been nothing more than a money grab by snake oil salesman that are funding the snake breeders.

Would banks be funding 30yr loans for mansions on the beach if what these yahoo's were spouting were factual? No.

H E double hockey sticks, YES!

If anyone with even a grain of intelligence has watched what the politicians have pushed for the past 70 years (we were supposed to be under water, melted, evaporated, etc) and what is actually happening, they would thumb their nose at the noise makers and live their lives. This has been nothing more than a money grab by snake oil salesman.

Would banks be funding 30yr loans for mansions on the beach if what these yahoo's were spouting were factual? No.
It is all about power, control, money and wealth transfer. Science is just the Trojan horse.

Reactions: obfuscating

A WordPress slide from Christy based on ONE model run, consisting of just FOUR balloon datasets and TWO satellite datasets (which are also models). Where's the conference interval from his model run? Why the limited datasets? What are those datasets (which satellites, which balloons)? That graph is so incomplete.

Oh, and his model run has been shredded by multiple sites... here's one

Temperature from satellites are also model results
It is fair to compare the satellite record with model results to explore uncertainties, but the satellite data is not the ground truth and cannot be used to invalidate the models. The microwave sounding unit (MSU), the instrument used to measure the temperature, measures light in certain wavelength bands emitted by oxygen molecules.

An algorithm is then used to compute the air temperature consistent with the measured irradiance. This algorithm is a model based on the same physics as the models which predict that higher concentrations of CO2 result in higher surface temperatures.

----------------------
Hard evidence of misrepresentation
Despite the complicated nature of tropospheric temperatures, it is an indisputable fact that Christy’s graph presents numbers with different meanings as if they were equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4
Attacking the source is a logical fallacy used to deflect from the lack of a substantive argument.
I sometimes say the same. But in this case, I looked at both your site - which is a verifiably wingnutty, dishonest, pseudo-science site - AND looked at the true source, which is reputable.

Moreover, I actually looked at the research paper itself, which I'm guessing you didn't. Only glanced, to be sure. But enough to know that the "headline" that you and your site seemed to be promoting is a distortion.

And finally, I also gave a working link to the research so everyone can form their own assessment.

I call that honest, civilized discussion - not even slightly a deflection.

Reactions: Ree4 and praguehawk
I sometimes say the same. But in this case, I looked at both your site - which is a verifiably wingnutty, dishonest, pseudo-science site - AND looked at the true source, which is reputable.

Moreover, I actually looked at the research paper itself, which I'm guessing you didn't. Only glanced, to be sure. But enough to know that the "headline" that you and your site seemed to be promoting is a distortion.

And finally, I also gave a working link to the research so everyone can form their own assessment.

I call that honest, civilized discussion - not even slightly a deflection.
You attack Christy (who co-developed one of two satellite systems measuring global temperatures) and you cite realclimate? LOL. All you have are deflections. Cite papers that show by empirical evidence that humans are causing or will cause catastrophic global warming. Give one example where the dire predictions of the alarmists has occurred. Explain why the performance of the CMP6 models is even worse than the older CMP5 models?

You attack Christy (who co-developed one of two satellite systems measuring global temperatures) and you cite realclimate? LOL. All you have are deflections. Cite papers that show by empirical evidence that humans are causing or will cause catastrophic global warming. Give one example where the dire predictions of the alarmists has occurred. Explain why the performance of the CMP6 models is even worse than the older CMP5 models?
The most recent climate models:

The satellite data are based on measurement of empirical data and are not climate models which are not based on any empirical data.

When a hurricane, tornado or flood covers an area the size of the bottom half of the US and lasts for two weeks, then you can compare the numbers. Until then, this comparison is utterly stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT