ADVERTISEMENT

Heckuva job, me: Trump just favorably compared Puerto Rico’s death toll to Katrina

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In President Trump's first public remarks in Puerto Rico, he shed almost no light on the federal response to the crisis there. What he did do was praise himself, tell the hurricane-ravaged island that it was putting the U.S. federal budget “out of whack,” and — perhaps most questionably — compare death counts between Hurricane Maria and Hurricane Katrina.

It was a characteristically Trump performance: offbeat, impromptu, meandering and often highly suspect in its taste. Toward the end, Trump brought up the Katrina comparison, suggesting it — unlike Maria in Puerto Rico — was a “real catastrophe.”

Here are the comments:

TRUMP: We've saved a lot of lives. If you look at the — every death is a horror. But if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina, and you look at the tremendous — hundred and hundred and hundreds of people that died. And you look at what happened here with really a storm that was totally overpowering. Nobody's ever seen anything like this. And what is your death count at this point, 17?

PUERTO RICO GOV. RICARDO ROSELLÓ: Sixteen, certified.

TRUMP: Sixteen people, certified — 16 people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people, all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people.

First off, Trump both didn't know Puerto Rico's official death toll and also overstated Katrina's death toll. An estimated 1,833 people died in Katrina, which is not technically "thousands." It's not even two thousand.

Trump's tweets and public comments on Puerto Rico have almost all been in this vein — playing up the success of the response and guarding against the idea that it could be judged as a failure. He attacked the mayor of San Juan over the weekend after she criticized the federal response.

But comparing death tolls is a dicey decision for a few reasons.

The first is that it's just ... yucky. Of course the number of dead will play into however the disaster response is judged, but Trump was clearly taking this moment of great tragedy to try to cover himself against Katrina comparisons. They've been lingering for days, and his inclusion of the death toll comparison was clearly an effort to combat them. Even for a guy constantly minding his reputation in very public ways, that's pretty bold.

5-Minute Fix newsletter

Keeping up with politics is easy now.

The second is that death toll is both very likely inaccurate and very likely to rise. The loss of electricity on the island has led to a lack of communication, and the official death toll has stayed the same for days. But the Center for Investigative Journalism has been calling hospitals and estimates that there have actually been dozens of deaths — which Puerto Rico's public safety secretary confirmed Monday — and that the number could rise into the hundreds.

There have also been suggestions that the death toll could rise much higher than that, possibly even into the thousands — especially if the Guajataca Dam fails. The dam has been a concern ever since the hurricane and its rains left a crack in it, and 70,000 living near the dam were ordered to evacuate this weekend for fear of another massive tragedy. Even if that doesn't happen, though, situations like this are full of unexpected events, and the scope of the devastation in certain parts of the island is still something of a mystery.

And then there's the simple fact that these are two very different tragedies. Katrina included a devastating blow to a populous area that happened to be below sea level, and the levees and flood walls failed. Many of the 1,833 people in Katrina's death toll died instantly or as they were awaiting rescue in the days afterward. It became a big deal because of the death toll, yes, but also because public officials were seen as failing to grasp the severity of the tragedy in time to stop preventable deaths.

Puerto Rico, meanwhile, is much more a humanitarian relief effort. And if more die, it will probably happen slowly and lead to obvious questions about whether the aid arrived quickly enough. If we again see preventable deaths happening — even by the dozens or hundreds — that will be a real problem for Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...politics:homepage/card&utm_term=.ac68e93434d8

The population of Puerto Rico is 3.4 million. Don Trump saved at least 1 million lives by his count.

Reactions: McLovin32
So.....

1. He compared PR to Katrina, saying Katrina was a "real tragedy" compared to this?

2. Told PR they had to help more?

3. Complained that PR was putting a crimp in the our budget?

Nice pep talk Don.

If you overlooked your hate, he was complimenting the people of PR on the job they did to overcome a category 5 Hurricane with only 16 lives lost.

I'm guessing reading comprehension wasn't a strong point of yours in school.

"TRUMP: And you look at what happened here with really a storm that was totally overpowering. Nobody's ever seen anything like this. And what is your death count at this point, 17?

TRUMP: Sixteen people, certified — 16 people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people, all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people."

What is wrong with that? He said you can be very proud of your people. All of us working together.

Man, you people are relentless. The guy says "our people" and because of your agenda, you interpret that he is talking about himself and not including the people of PR despite him just saying how proud they can be of the people of PR. Is it possible "all of our people" means everybody working on the mission together?

You people are no better than the lady who wrote a news article saying how bad Trump was because Obama cried in his PR about Sandy Hook and Trump just offered his deepest condolences. Take a breath and relax. Maybe you might find that your hatred is skewing your ability to correctly infer what is going on.

I'll be the first to admit that he says some cringe worthy things at times, but to jump on this seems petty.

"TRUMP: And you look at what happened here with really a storm that was totally overpowering. Nobody's ever seen anything like this. And what is your death count at this point, 17?

TRUMP: Sixteen people, certified — 16 people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people, all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people."

What is wrong with that? He said you can be very proud of your people. All of us working together.

Man, you people are relentless. The guy says "our people" and because of your agenda, you interpret that he is talking about himself and not including the people of PR despite him just saying how proud they can be of the people of PR. Is it possible "all of our people" means everybody working on the mission together?

You people are no better than the lady who wrote a news article saying how bad Trump was because Obama cried in his PR about Sandy Hook and Trump just offered his deepest condolences. Take a breath and relax. Maybe you might find that your hatred is skewing your ability to correctly infer what is going on.

I'll be the first to admit that he says some cringe worthy things at times, but to jump on this seems petty.

Dude, no matter what Trump says these clowns around here will find fault with it.

Honestly, who compares tragedies and compliments people for not having as many deaths? A country is suffering and he talks about how only 16 people died? Way to go PR! Only 16 deaths! Awesome!

What's next? Las Vegas isn't as bad a 9/11?

"Our agenda"? For 8 years everything that Obama said or did, or happened under his watch, was criminal. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's "you people and your agenda"?

Honestly, who compares tragedies and compliments people for not having as many deaths? A country is suffering and he talks about how only 16 people died? Way to go PR! Only 16 deaths! Awesome!

"Our agenda"? For 8 years everything that Obama said or did, or happened under his watch, was criminal. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's "you people and your agenda"?

Honestly, I was expected a death toll well into the hundreds, if not thousands. The poor on that island live in shanty villages and this was a Cat. 5 hurricane. They must have done a really good job getting people to hardened shelters before the storm.

Honestly, I was expected a death toll well into the hundreds, if not thousands. The poor on that island live in shanty villages and this was a Cat. 5 hurricane. They must have done a really good job getting people to hardened shelters before the storm.

Agreed. And, I would have thought hundreds would have been killed in Vegas.

I voted for Obama, man! I didn't vote for him the second time, though. Though I disagreed with a lot of his policies and things he said, I sure as hell didn't nitpick him on a message board and pick apart every little thing he saId. I'm not saying you, but there are a lot of people that are so incredibly negative and filled with hate towards anything Trump, I can't imagine how much energy and is spent on it in their daily lives. Feel sorry for them.

I voted for Obama, man! I didn't vote for him the second time, though. Though I disagreed with a lot of his policies and things he said, I sure as hell didn't nitpick him on a message board and pick apart every little thing he saId. I'm not saying you, but there are a lot of people that are so incredibly negative and filled with hate towards anything Trump, I can't imagine how much energy and is spent on it in their daily lives. Feel sorry for them.
This is the dumbest post I've read in a long time. The man is getting in childish insults over twitter with North Korea which has experts wondering if limitations can be placed on Trump's ability to wage nuclear war. To say that we shouldn't question everything that comes out of his mouth only proves how ignorant of the dangers he presents you are. Trump has screwed up everything he has touched. Stop apologizing for this menace.

This is the dumbest post I've read in a long time. The man is getting in childish insults over twitter with North Korea which has experts wondering if limitations can be placed on Trump's ability to wage nuclear war. To say that we shouldn't question everything that comes out of his mouth only proves how ignorant of the dangers he presents you are. Trump has screwed up everything he has touched. Stop apologizing for this menace.
He hasn’t screwed up everything. He gave a great explanation about why/how Puerto Rico is an island.

Lol.... then why bring it up? We are talking about PR. Stick to the story line.
Gee, don't know. Maybe to highlight that Trump lies about everything and isn't to be trusted. But if you still want to support this POS, knock yourself out, moron.

Agreed. But Trump could screw up "good morning". The things he says are so insensitive and self serving, it's hard to ignore or give him the benefit of the doubt.

Who the hell thought showing Trump throwing out paper towels was a good idea?
Looks like those cheerleaders at halftime shooting teeshirts into the bleachers.

Reactions: cigaretteman
If you overlooked your hate, he was complimenting the people of PR on the job they did to overcome a category 5 Hurricane with only 16 lives lost.
Which isn't something people who side with leftists can do on here. It's very easy to understand what he meant by that.

Which isn't something people who side with leftists can do on here. It's very easy to understand what he meant by that.

Only to brainwashed wingnuts who betrayed their country by voting for this con man, and continue to support him.

Reactions: MitchL
Did he suggest this morning wiping out PR's debt. Can he get this accomplished or kinda of a throw away line.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT